Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 11 2013, 08:05 PM   #16
N-121973
Commander

Re: Cacelled Shows 2012-2013

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I thought Simpsons was ending this year. Guess I was psyched again.
The impression I get is that the Simpsons is immune from cancellation.
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I haven't been following the news on this stuff, I'm surprised to learn that 1600 Penn, Go On, and especially Touch are ending. I just finished watching the season finale for Touch. I'm really disappointed that there won't be another season! I had no idea it wasn't doing well.

Go On was interesting but I'm not terribly upset at it ending. Missing from your list is The New Normal. Another show that I've been keeping up with but won't miss all that much.

It is a shame about 1600 Penn though. I thought it would be stupid but I ended up finding it really funny. And the finale was a shocker!
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:41 PM   #18
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Of all the shows on the list, I'll miss Go On the most. I really came to love the show, moreso for it's supporting cast, including John Cho, than for Matthew Perry.

Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23, Happy Endings, How to Live With Your Parents For The Rest of Your Life all fell under the "eh, there's nothing else to watch on, I'll watch these" category. Like 1001001, I only watched How to Live With Your Parents for Sarah Chalke. In all honesty, it felt like a watered down "Don't Trust the B---[/i], with Polly instead of June, and the parents instead of Chloe. That and the fact that the first episode, with her running out of her old life, in the rain, with her daughter made it seem like her (then) husband was a horrible human being, but then they seemed to pull back on that and made him a lovable loser type, whom Polly, in the most recent episode, tried to hook up with a hot woman.

I never loved Happy Endings as much as sources like Entertainment Weekly did. I was happy to see Eliza Coupe, as she was one of the best things about the last few seasons of Scrubs, which, I admit, is damning with faint praise.

The Office paled in comparison to what it used to be and it should have bowed out gracefully a few years ago. Futurama due to it's schedule and the fact that it's been cancelled before doesn't even register to me. Maybe, after seeing the last episodes, I'll miss it more, but it could have been cancelled a year or two ago for all it's affecting me.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:01 PM   #19
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Not sure Futurama should be on the list for this season, because while it's no longer in production, there's still one 13-episode broadcast season (aka the second half of the seventh production season) to be aired starting next month.
Well, it's not returning in the fall when the new seasons start unless it finds another channel.

I'm devastated over Go On. I thought that it was one of the best assembled casts on television. I alternately laughed out loud and teared up during each episode. I think it has some good odds of finding another home. (If Cougar Town can live on...)
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 10:18 PM   #20
degra
Fleet Captain

good riddance. They actually could have cancelled everything currently on broadcast tv and I wouldn't have cared,,,same for all the supposedly superior cable shows like bates motel, defiance, etc This had to be the worst tv season ever coming off of a decade of crappy tv seasons and next season doesn't look any better.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 10:27 PM   #21
Raze
Ensign

There isn't much on television that I care about watching. Game of Thrones and Community are basically the only shows I look forward to watching.

Hopefully some great shows come out of these cancellations.
Raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:33 PM   #22
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Missing from your list is The New Normal. Another show that I've been keeping up with but won't miss all that much.
The New Normal was cancelled too? I didn't know that.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:51 AM   #23
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
Missing from your list is The New Normal. Another show that I've been keeping up with but won't miss all that much.
The New Normal was cancelled too? I didn't know that.
Sadly (or not, however you want to look at it), yes:
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...graveyard.html

It's kind of crazy how many comedies NBC has canceled this year. I wonder what the heck will be on the air next year.
—T.S. Eliot
Old May 12 2013, 05:06 AM   #24
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

It is a shame about 1600 Penn though. I thought it would be stupid but I ended up finding it really funny. And the finale was a shocker!
1600 Penn was stupid, but it was the good kind of stupid, like Monk. It was light and fun and let us just have a ball with a topic that usually makes people want to throw things at each other.

My favorite moment of the show was where the Pres had to make a difficult decision about an appointment, then they did a jump cut where he said "I've made a decision...I'M GOING TO THE RANCH!"

Also Breaking Bad is ending after one more run of shows this summer, right? Pickings getting slimmer. And Dexter is ending but they haven't had a good season since early.

Also no good serial dramas or serial scifi shows. I guess NBC is trying with Revolution. Nifty premise and setting, but they forgot that Lost had a ridiculously awesome cast. I should try again to like Mad Men.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 03:51 PM   #25

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
1600 Penn was stupid, but it was the good kind of stupid, like Monk. It was light and fun and let us just have a ball with a topic that usually makes people want to throw things at each other.
I agree. 1600 Penn was amusing enough. The son was hilarious, like a poor man's Zach Galifianakis.

Also no good serial dramas or serial scifi shows. I guess NBC is trying with Revolution. Nifty premise and setting, but they forgot that Lost had a ridiculously awesome cast. I should try again to like Mad Men.
I think Person of Interest is pretty good. And although it started pretty slowly, The Americans picked up nicely as it went on.

As for sci-fi, there's always Doctor Who.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old May 12 2013, 05:01 PM   #26
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa, I figured out why you thought The Simpsons was being cancelled, the talks you heard about were for TWO seasons. The show is in it's 24th, but last summer they did new deals and such to keep it on the air through the 25th, next season. Next season might be the last. I think it would make sense for them to end after the 25th season and continue with the movies.
Old May 12 2013, 05:25 PM   #27
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I think Person of Interest is pretty good. And although it started pretty slowly, The Americans picked up nicely as it went on.
Has Person of Interest become more serialized? I watched the first half of the first season and it became too "crime of the week" for me, which can be fun in its own way but not as appointment viewing for me. If it's improved I might give it another shot.
—T.S. Eliot
Old May 12 2013, 05:47 PM   #28

Has Person of Interest become more serialized? I watched the first half of the first season and it became too "crime of the week" for me, which can be fun in its own way but not as appointment viewing for me. If it's improved I might give it another shot.
Yes, it seems to me there were very few stand alone episodes this year, and there were multiple arcs related to HR, the cops helping our heroes, Elias, Root, Harold's past, etc. etc.

Now that I think about it, there really was a lot going on simultaneously...
Old May 13 2013, 12:46 AM   #29
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Only show on there I have interest in is Happy Endings. Season one was good, I still need to pop the S2 disks in by BD player one of these days.
Old May 13 2013, 12:51 AM   #30
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Happy Endings might be saved by USA who wants to get into the comedy business.