Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 143 19.32%
A 160 21.62%
A- 99 13.38%
B+ 82 11.08%
B 58 7.84%
B- 27 3.65%
C+ 40 5.41%
C 38 5.14%
C- 24 3.24%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.73%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2013, 12:42 AM   #1636
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

King Daniel wrote: View Post
It didn't bother us before, why should it matter now?
Ummmm, which universe was this?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:55 AM   #1637
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile
My unoriginal and pointless thoughts on the film, move along

Just in from the film. WOW. Loved this a bit more than the first one and that's saying a lot from me.

I think we're lucky to have a director of JJ's quality who can look at the franchise from a neutral standpoint, cherry pick the best bits and discard the stuff that doesn't work.
As fans, I think we'd be the first to admit that across the entire franchise, not every episode and film is a winner yet we love it all anyway because they're our favourite family of characters on our favourite ships in our favourite universe.
JJ can take it all from a neutral perspective and just process what works to give us Trek 2.0, the most refined Trek product we've had to date!

And the secrecy? I'm so glad I got into this movie without knowing the true details of Harrison.
Brave move by JJ too, to have a secret wrapped in a secret wrapped in disinformation wrapped in misinformation wrapped in red herrings.....and then still not have him as the primary protagonist in the movie!
Brilliant.
And Nimoy? Didn't know that either! Great surprise, tho a twinge of sadness that I got the last time I saw Q on screen.....
Looking very old and I hope that's not the last time I see his face on my movie screen!
(Tho, did they touch up his image using CG or just heavy make up? Looked.....different somehow...)

Sleek new ship too, not enough of it. The TOS era version of the DS9 version of the Defiant class? Warship built to combat an oncoming threat? MORE OF IT PLEASE!!

And minor thing, but the new warp effect was hella cool.
Don't quite know why it needed changing, but it looked like a huge combo of the original movie era rainbow effect and the TNG era stretching, fantastic.

Now, Kahn and Klingons for Trek 3 please! C'mon, make Marcus right and make the Klingon war happen! NO BORG!

OK,. now I've finished saying the same things everyone else has probably said in threads I've deliberately stayed away from, I'm off to catch up on all the juicy threads I've missed!
Old May 12 2013, 01:09 AM   #1638
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Aike wrote: View Post
The fact is that, maybe except the UK, and it´s a big maybe, TOS was never as popular as TNG or even Voyager in many European countries or Australia and New Zealand.
In New South Wales, Australia, it's very, very hard to compare. TOS aired once, in the 60s. Because of the way half of the episodes were rated ("Not Recommended for Children"; only 40 were "G"), TOS never got those "early prime time" repeats that the US got with syndication all through the 70s and 80s (and that Australia experienced with ubiquitous shows like "Lost in Space", "Bewitched" and "Gilligan's Island"). We finally got prime time reruns of TOS "for the first time in colour" in the hiatus between TMP and ST II.

The TOS movies all did very respectable business in Aussie cinemas, AFAIK. In Sydney and Melbourne, we had a cinema screening of five TOS episodes per month on the big screen. For several decades.

When TNG came to most international markets, it was presold to the home video rental sector. (Sell-thru was very expensive.) A year later, prime time airings were attempted, but the series didn't rate highly enough and ended up as late-night TV fodder (where it won its timeslot, thrilling advertisers).

DS9, VOY (and ENT) were buried even further into the late-night void. And home video sell-thru twin packs.
Old May 12 2013, 01:26 AM   #1639
Flake
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Aike wrote: View Post
The fact is that, maybe except the UK, and it´s a big maybe, TOS was never as popular as TNG or even Voyager in many European countries or Australia and New Zealand.
In New South Wales, Australia, it's very, very hard to compare. TOS aired once, in the 60s. Because of the way half of the episodes were rated ("Not Recommended for Children"; only 40 were "G"), TOS never got those "early prime time" repeats that the US got with syndication all through the 70s and 80s (and that Australia experienced with ubiquitous shows like "Lost in Space", "Bewitched" and "Gilligan's Island"). We finally got prime time reruns of TOS "for the first time in colour" in the hiatus between TMP and ST II.

The TOS movies all did very respectable business in Aussie cinemas, AFAIK. In Sydney and Melbourne, we had a cinema screening of five TOS episodes per month on the big screen. For several decades.

When TNG came to most international markets, it was presold to the home video rental sector. (Sell-thru was very expensive.) A year later, prime time airings were attempted, but the series didn't rate highly enough and ended up as late-night TV fodder (where it won its timeslot, thrilling advertisers).

DS9, VOY (and ENT) were buried even further into the late-night void. And home video sell-thru twin packs.
Its strange that they did that. The BBC aired TOS from 1969 in the 5:15pm Saturday timeslot that Doctor Who aired in. Unsurprisingly it was a huge success and was repeated throughout the 70s probably because it was the ideal replacement for Dr Who. I wonder why the Australian censors did not follow the BBCs example?

I know for a fact the spinoffs where more popular in Germany than TOS though! Not sure why...
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:27 AM   #1640
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Maybe they were simply better distributed.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:52 AM   #1641
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
Its strange that they did that. The BBC aired TOS from 1969 in the 5:15pm Saturday timeslot that Doctor Who aired in.
Yes, but UK famously had four banned episodes that the censors decided couldn't be screened at all in the 60s and 70s.

The Aussie censors of the 60s decreed that only 40 TOS episodes could be played before 8.30pm. When the series was finally rescreened in the 80s in prime time, the network elected not to pay the $$$$$ required to send them through the censors again, for reevaluation - so when the show moved to weekend afternoons in the late 80s and early 90s, only the 40 "G" eps were shown.

The eps have since been back to the censors for the VHS and DVD boxed sets.
Old May 12 2013, 02:40 AM   #1642
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

About the Enterprise getting from Klingon space to Earth real fast, and forgive me if it sounds stupid as I only did first year University Physics - a very long time ago and it didn't even cover Warp Drive.
I was thinking that maybe Marcus' ship sort of pushed the Enterprise faster with its super capacities, or included it in its own Warp or transWarp tunnel.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:08 AM   #1643
Tiberius
Commodore

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
About the Enterprise getting from Klingon space to Earth real fast, and forgive me if it sounds stupid as I only did first year University Physics - a very long time ago and it didn't even cover Warp Drive.
I was thinking that maybe Marcus' ship sort of pushed the Enterprise faster with its super capacities, or included it in its own Warp or transWarp tunnel.
Let's not forget that Archer's ship made it there in only a few days...
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:39 AM   #1644
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I just remembered in the movie that when Kirk was made 1st officer he had 4 pips on his shoulder and Spock had 3. Does that mean Kirk was a Commander and Spock a Lt Commander or Kirk still a Captain.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:45 AM   #1645
Sxottlan
Commodore

View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile

This was my most anticipated film of the year. However, the more footage I've seen, the more my anticipation has waned. From the first line spoken by Cumberbatch's character in the teaser, the more this just looks like Star Trek trying to channel The Dark Knight. It did not help that there was little in the way of actual space footage in the trailer and more of a focus on a ground-based setting. So it did not really feel like I was watching a trailer for a Trek film.

I feel there's been some dis-ingenuousness when it comes to the marketing. It's like they're trying to keep up this old fan rumor that this somehow actually involves Khan (Look! Carol Marcus with a torpedo-like device! Spock making a sacrifice! Maybe?). That somehow this character isn't what he appears. But in keeping him a mystery, I'm not getting much of a reason why I should get fired up for this. And while they seem to be going out of their way to keep his motives secret, I'm startled at how casually they've shown the apparent destruction of the Enterprise.

I know I keep using words like "seem" and "apparent" because I know the Abrams team is all about misdirection. That's why I'm hoping there's a lot more to this. I've been a life-long Trek fan, so naturally I hope this movie does well.
The Crimson Shadow: ***
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 08:04 AM   #1646
TheSubCommander
Captain

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I chalk it up to the new timeline developing Transwarp drive some 20 years before the Excelsior, AND succeeding in getting it right. I mean if they can beam people half way across the galaxy now, perhaps some of that same technology is being used in warp drives.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 08:06 AM   #1647
Devon
Fleet Captain

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
This was my most anticipated film of the year. However, the more footage I've seen, the more my anticipation has waned. From the first line spoken by Cumberbatch's character in the teaser, the more this just looks like Star Trek trying to channel The Dark Knight. It did not help that there was little in the way of actual space footage in the trailer and more of a focus on a ground-based setting. So it did not really feel like I was watching a trailer for a Trek film.

I feel there's been some dis-ingenuousness when it comes to the marketing. It's like they're trying to keep up this old fan rumor that this somehow actually involves Khan (Look! Carol Marcus with a torpedo-like device! Spock making a sacrifice! Maybe?). That somehow this character isn't what he appears. But in keeping him a mystery, I'm not getting much of a reason why I should get fired up for this. And while they seem to be going out of their way to keep his motives secret, I'm startled at how casually they've shown the apparent destruction of the Enterprise.

I know I keep using words like "seem" and "apparent" because I know the Abrams team is all about misdirection. That's why I'm hoping there's a lot more to this. I've been a life-long Trek fan, so naturally I hope this movie does well.
Wonderful review of the commercials. I personally want to see and review the film myself.
Old May 12 2013, 08:24 AM   #1648
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I was so distracted by the Vengeance being on Admiral Marcus' desk that I missed the NX-01. Was that really the prime NX-01 or a JJ version of it?

I really must see this movie again ... but I can't find a theater that's showing it in the original language AND 2D. I really don't want to see it in 3D again.
Old May 12 2013, 08:34 AM   #1649
ROBE
Commander

On the issue of the pips/bars on the formal uniforms, I wish they would publish details.
Pike as a full admiral had four gold while Marcus also a full admiral had five, I presume because he was head of Starfleet.
Kirk and the other captain had four silver.
Spock as a commander had three silver.
Uhura, Zulu & Carol Marcus as lieutenants had two silver.
Chekhov as an ensign had one silver.
So these unlike the arm stripes follow USN rank insignia.
I am not sure about lieutenant commanders McCoy and Scott, McCoy seemed to be wearing three while Scott had only two?
As for lieutenant junior grade does it even exist?
Noel Clarke's character seemed to be enlisted.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 08:40 AM   #1650
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I was so distracted by the Vengeance being on Admiral Marcus' desk that I missed the NX-01. Was that really the prime NX-01 or a JJ version of it?
Looked like the regular NX-01 to me. And it was standing between the Phoenix (Cochrane's warp ship) and the Kelvin, if I remember correctly.