Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.35%
A 161 21.64%
A- 100 13.44%
B+ 82 11.02%
B 58 7.80%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.84%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11 2013, 09:41 PM   #1621
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Interesting tidbits and backstory on Joseph Gatt's character GATT2000/5000/Science Officer 0718
Joseph Gatt wrote:
I’m not in a position to tell you much more then you already know, as I’m not sure what J.J. would like released or not (and it’s safer to err on the side of caution.) But what I can tell you is that I’m an augmented human and one of my cybernetic augmentations is on the back of my head. The concept is that it’s a miniature version of the ship’s main computer which puts me in direct telepathic connection with the ship’s systems at all times. I’m the Six Million Dollar Man in space!
Old May 11 2013, 09:58 PM   #1622
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Nice.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 10:04 PM   #1623
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

After seeimg the movie I was wondering if he was a jacked-up Bynar
Old May 11 2013, 10:08 PM   #1624
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

On the one hand I could see it being very useful, fast responce and reports for ship wide problems, but on the other he is connected to systems that could be taking damage.

In an old fic of mine I had the main computer represented as a holographic avatar as a character, made for interesting story ideas for problems with the computer but brought up the idea that damage to the computer or ship could cause "pain" to the program.

An actual flesh and blood 'person' hooked up to the computer could have all sorts of unforseen dangers, hacking, brain damage, the fact that the computer is on 24/7, so is he as well? etc
Old May 11 2013, 10:26 PM   #1625
Flake
Commodore

There was Andromeda where one of the lead characters was a hologram personification of the ship.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:27 PM   #1626
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, this is an idea that's easily more than fifty years old in the sf prose world - so Star Trek was right about on schedule adopting it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:28 PM   #1627
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

I still have reservations about it, whether damage to this crew member could somehow affect the computer in some way.
Old May 11 2013, 11:31 PM   #1628
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Only if it's useful to the writers for that to happen - in which case it's a good thing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:33 PM   #1629
trevanian
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
Never had the impression they just got there all that fast, thought it showed that the battle took hours, since the fleet was only mostly decimated by the time they arrived.
It didn't seem to take the Borg very long to kick the Fleet's ass in The Best of Both Worlds. And we have absolutely no proof that it took them any longer in First Contact.

It seems to me that those that like a Trek movie will go out of their way to defend a 'goof'. Those that dislike a film will condemn it based on the same exact thing.
That'd be well reasoned -- if I actually liked FIRST CONTACT.

However, I have always found it to be one of the biggest blown opportunities in the whole film series. I imagine that I've spent more wordage on this board bitching about this one than any other of the first ten films, except of course SEARCH FOR SPOCK.

See? I wasn't defending it, simply noting the way it played for me when I saw it.

And now that I think of it, BOBW was pre-DEFIANT too, so Starfleet's stuff would have been at least a little more effective after years of R&D, or so one could assume. Plus I think there's dialog to the effect that the borg ship has been damaged to some extent, which also suggests Starfleet was able to damage and/or slow down this cube.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:53 PM   #1630
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

hux wrote: View Post
my turn
The film was certainly entertaining and provided much more fan wank than i had anticipated...
  • Section 31
  • Tribbles
  • Carol Marcus (and mum)
  • Ketha Province
  • Gorn
  • Khan
And K'Normians (ST:TMP). Twice.

Security Guard "Cupcake" is credited as such in the closing scroll, but Kirk calls him Hendorff (as suggested by several IDW comics). From "The Apple".

Christine Chapel.

And, on third viewing last night, we noticed that the "Mudd" incident is actually namedropped. ("Countdown to Darkness".)
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:08 AM   #1631
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
What I think is being said is that we accept Trek for what it really was, not some idealized head canon. It didn't bother us before, why should it matter now?
I think we do but we were/are much more forgiving of 'old' Trek, given the financial and time restraints in churning out episode after episode. And in regards to the films, pretty much everyone rips into Generations or First Contact for its internal plot inconsistencies. Why should 'nu' Trek be immune to such criticism?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:14 AM   #1632
I am not Spock
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
hux wrote: View Post
my turn
The film was certainly entertaining and provided much more fan wank than i had anticipated...
  • Section 31
  • Tribbles
  • Carol Marcus (and mum)
  • Ketha Province
  • Gorn
  • Khan
And K'Normians (ST:TMP). Twice.

Security Guard "Cupcake" is credited as such in the closing scroll, but Kirk calls him Hendorff (as suggested by several IDW comics). From "The Apple".

Christine Chapel.

And, on third viewing last night, we noticed that the "Mudd" incident is actually namedropped. ("Countdown to Darkness".)
And the model of Archer's NX 01 Enterprise on Admiral Marcus's (a possible descendant of Paxton ? ) desk
Old May 12 2013, 12:15 AM   #1633
I am not Spock
Commodore

How's the international box office going? It's been out since Thursday in several countries. How often do Box Office Mojo update the global figures? I don't really care that much about box office, I just hope films I like make enough to warrant a sequel
Old May 12 2013, 12:18 AM   #1634
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
What I think is being said is that we accept Trek for what it really was, not some idealized head canon. It didn't bother us before, why should it matter now?
I think we do but we were/are much more forgiving of 'old' Trek, given the financial and time restraints in churning out episode after episode. And in regards to the films, pretty much everyone rips into Generations or First Contact for its internal plot inconsistencies. Why should 'nu' Trek be immune to such criticism?
It bothered me before. I laughed about it, enjoyed the episode, and moved on. I think it's probably partly because now that there is no Trek on TV we only get a fix once every few years and partly because of the nature of the reboot and because the nuTrek writers seem almost brazenly and deliberately sloppy and that there are so many dodgy plot patches in such a short amount of story-telling that people seem to get a bit more animated about these movies.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:30 AM   #1635
Flake
Commodore

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
How's the international box office going? It's been out since Thursday in several countries. How often do Box Office Mojo update the global figures? I don't really care that much about box office, I just hope films I like make enough to warrant a sequel
According to boxoffice.com forums and worldofkj.com forums I know that it is doing twice the $$ as ST09 in Germany, about the same as ST09 in UK and OZ and it has flopped in Hong Kong (same as ST09). Thats it for now.

EDIT: If I had to take a guess I would say STID will not do as well as Paramount will have hoped for overseas and I think the target should be approximately $180-$200m. Though that is a decent increase on ST09 (128m) it may not be a sufficient return on investment assuming Paramount upped the international marketing budget. I don't think that jeopardises another movie being made but perhaps they might consider changing the release date or lowering the budget.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote