Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Nightmare in Silver"
Excellent! 21 18.75%
Great 46 41.07%
Average 36 32.14%
DELETE! 6 5.36%
"Iron Man 3" was better" 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11 2013, 10:49 PM   #31
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Are you on about the daleks or cybs?
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:01 PM   #32
StolenThunder
Poster

Maybe it was just because the Radio Times review was so negative, but I quite enjoyed it. The kids were thankfully taken out the equation reasonably quickly and I enjoyed the Emperor character. A straightforward episode maybe. It'll do.

The teaser was interesting. I just hope that Clara isn't some sort of 'bad guy' creation designed to honeypot the Doctor. Too cliché.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:16 PM   #33
Ghost Bones
Captain

Abject rubbish. But at least not as bad as last week.

Did anyone else think it felt really cheap as well? The presence of children didn't help, but that aside it looked very CBBC. And not in the way that it's meant to because it was set in a sort of theme park or whatever. I lose track a little of the series and numbers since they split them, but even compared to stuff as recent The God Complex and The Girl Who Waited it looks very different and significantly worse. Could just be the lighting. For example, there wasn't a single point that the shined up Cybermen didn't look like plastic. Not once were they convincingly metal, though the design is at least a bit better than the Cybusmen ones.

Narrative's gone to pot this series too. Even though there's different writers, the whole narrative flow is out the window in all of them. It's just things happening. It makes RTD's tripe look like rigid adherence to form.

So far as it was understandable as a story though, there was a lot of poor things. Jar Jar Smith's "Mesa got ice cream ticket" wasn't as cringeworthy as his spitfire impressions in AGMGTW for example, but still is completely unjustifiable in a character that is meant to be the Doctor. And why didn't he leave the children in the TARDIS, rather than in a creepy room with a dead Cyberman? Speaking of Jar Jar, all the Cybermen falling down a bit in some silly plotting akin to actually using Geordi's shape in I, Borg was a lot like the battle droids in The Phantom Menace. And what was even going on anyway? Just absolute rubbish really.
Old May 11 2013, 11:23 PM   #34
Gov Kodos
Admiral

It was a good episode that would have been improved to great with the kids gone, and more time with Warwick Davis.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:05 AM   #35
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
week.
Did anyone else think it felt really cheap as well? The presence of children didn't help, but that aside it looked very CBBC. And not in the way that it's meant to because it was set in a sort of theme park or whatever. I lose track a little of the series and numbers since they split them, but even compared to stuff as recent The God Complex and The Girl Who Waited it looks very different and significantly worse. Could just be the lighting. For example, there wasn't a single point that the shined up Cybermen didn't look like plastic. Not once were they convincingly metal, though the design is at least a bit better than the Cybusmen ones.
Yeah, I noticed that. The whole look of the show feels more SJA than it used to be. For example when I first saw a full picture of the new Ice Warriors in the radio times I thought to myself that looks very SJA. Also, anyone else not like the new tardis? Originally I thought it was a huge improvement, but now I'm growing to hate it with a passion.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:13 AM   #36
Ghost Bones
Captain

The new Who Tardis control rooms have all been much of a muchness. The McGann one was a sophisticated pinnacle unlikely to be matched until they get the Fisher Price obsession out of their heads. And the doors have always been wrong since 2005, like it's not set in the same universe, or else there's a completely ignorance as to how the Tardis and its outward appearance worked.
Old May 12 2013, 12:59 AM   #37
diankra
Commodore

OK, I think my current season poll would probaly run something like...
1) The Crimson Horror
2) Nightmare in Silver
3) Bells of Saint John
4) Cold War
5) Journey to the Centre...
6) Hide
777) The Rings of Please No Not a Song.*

*Sorry, just can't be bothered to check the right spelling, so went with a lame jibe.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:13 AM   #38
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

So instead of cybermats we have cyber-roaches?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:17 AM   #39
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Good, not amazing.

Feels like this one got chopped up a bit. Like there are a hand full of scenes missing in there somewhere. The bullet-time thing (and its later absence) were never explained that I saw. The increasing borgification of the Cybermen is a bit of a shame, but it makes sense and it isn't like the Borg are going to show up in anything any time soon.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:24 AM   #40
Gov Kodos
Admiral

The Cybermen from the Tenth Planet could easily have taken a path toward the zombie like Borg. I prefer that burn victim mobile face to the blank robot faces later designs have. The creepiness of the Cybermen comes from their loss of humanity, not their cyber abilities. The robot look and focusing on powers loses the creepy factor completely.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:08 AM   #41
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Good episode. Nice moments with the Doctor and the CyberDoctor. JLC did a good job too, though I think Clara slipped a little too easily into command mode. Like she had been commanding troops all her life. I don't care too much though, since she's the cutest thing ever.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:35 AM   #42
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

This was all over the place. I was very disappointed because it was Gaiman...I was expecting another The Doctor's Wife. The kids, the cybermen being extinct and then magically not and coming alive...all just not good.

Matt being Mr Clever was fun, and Davis was awesome. That's it. Clara the commander? Lame.

If you look at the list of Season 7...it's really been crap, and the second half even more so. Moffat needs to go, he has turned the whole thing into an overly zippy disney adventure and it's all pretty meaningless. I have no faith in the finale/name reveal next week and have no faith in the 50th adventure, either.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:47 AM   #43
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
These are the original Telos cybermen. Apparently they have been the original ones since 2010 when they got their C symbols removed, it's just a coincidence they look the same.
And have the same leitmotif!

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 03:24 AM   #44
intrinsical
Commodore

Anyone watched the making of Nightmare in Silver? Cyber-macarena, deadliest cyber weapon of all time.
Old May 12 2013, 03:54 AM   #45
Valin
Rear Admiral

I liked this one alot. Much better than Gaiman's last story. I do agree with the poster who thought that the Doctor should have left the kids in the TARDIS instead of taking a nap in the Wax Museum.

Smith's acting was quite good in this one.

I think Clara's personality being somewhat different week by week is actually part of the story arc. One of the reasons she's the Impossible Girl. She has become one of my favorite Companians of all time.

Moffat is doing a wonderful job with the characters and the show. He keeps improving, as opposed to the last showrunner who started out strong , but unfortunately started losing it towards the end (though his shows were still enjoyable).