Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 11 2013, 07:23 PM   #391
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

I guess the black ex-cop who grew up in the hood and the misunderstood ex-con will become regulars in mid-season.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 07:47 PM   #392
Christopher
Writer

^You know, there's an inherent contradiction in trying to criticize stereotypes by assuming the worst about a show you haven't seen yet.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:03 PM   #393
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Yeah, from a visual standpoint, this team looks pretty damn boring. A bunch of generic, pretty-faced, vanilla tv people. But I remain confident that Whedon and his writing staff can make them interesting anyway.
My thoughts as well.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:20 PM   #394
Christopher
Writer

Here's some more info on the characters, including their SHIELD ID cards. (Sadly, Coulson's card doesn't have slight foxing around the edges. Or bloodstains.)

Melinda May is now being described as "a pilot, weapons expert, and soldier" with "crazy skills when it comes to weapons." Nothing specifically about martial arts, although of course a lot of martial arts involve weapons. However, her ID card says "Administrator," which suggests a desk job.

Interestingly, Skye (last name unknown) is represented by a surveillance photo that calls her a "possible Rising Tide collaborator." Story-arc hint?

A "first look" will be airing during Once Upon a Time tomorrow night, and will be on ABC's website afterward.

Old May 11 2013, 08:29 PM   #395
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

"Pretty-faced" is kind of commonplace in the industry, isn't it? I mean, you just don't see a lot of ugly people in anything. Unless you need someone to play Wormtongue, of course, but I'm mainly thinking of protagonists here. They even made Velma hot.
Old May 11 2013, 08:55 PM   #396
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
^You know, there's an inherent contradiction in trying to criticize stereotypes by assuming the worst about a show you haven't seen yet.
Sorry, is this thread about me or about SHIELD?
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 10:18 PM   #397
Christopher
Writer

It's also worth pointing out that one of the showrunners for this series, Maurissa Tancharoen, is herself Asian-American, which makes it unlikely that the show will traffic in Asian stereotypes. A little research might've alleviated any concerns on that point.

Old May 11 2013, 11:02 PM   #398
Gaith
Rear Admiral

It's also worth pointing out that one of the showrunners for this series, Maurissa Tancharoen, is herself Asian-American, which makes it unlikely that the show will traffic in Asian stereotypes.
Well now that's a giant case of begging the question. Unless you actually know anything about this writer, instead of wild speculation, let's wait and see, shall we? And that goes for all of us.

Reaction to the cast photo seems to be a mix of hesitancy and gradations of negativity. Of course appearances can be deceiving, but first impressions do matter.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:13 PM   #399
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Gaith wrote: View Post
It's also worth pointing out that one of the showrunners for this series, Maurissa Tancharoen, is herself Asian-American, which makes it unlikely that the show will traffic in Asian stereotypes.
Well now that's a giant case of begging the question. Unless you actually know anything about this writer, instead of wild speculation, let's wait and see, shall we? And that goes for all of us.

Reaction to the cast photo seems to be a mix of hesitancy and gradations of negativity. Of course appearances can be deceiving, but first impressions do matter.
You might be familiar with her from:

I think it is safe to say she isn't in a hurry to propagate the stereotypes.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:53 PM   #400
Christopher
Writer

Venardhi wrote: View Post
You might be familiar with her from:

I think it is safe to say she isn't in a hurry to propagate the stereotypes.
Which is exactly my point. Thank you for the backup.

I don't do "wild speculation." I do research. It's not that hard.

Old May 12 2013, 12:02 AM   #401
Dream
Admiral

Yeah, from a visual standpoint, this team looks pretty damn boring. A bunch of generic, pretty-faced, vanilla tv people. But I remain confident that Whedon and his writing staff can make them interesting anyway.
Did you honestly expect them to cast ugly actors for the show?
Old May 12 2013, 12:13 AM   #402
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I would have applauded them if they did. At the very least they could have cast someone with different coloured hair.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:51 AM   #403
Christopher
Writer

Not to mention that any cast is likely to look "generic" to us before we've gotten to know their faces and their distinctive personalities.

Old May 12 2013, 01:16 AM   #404
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Not to mention that any cast is likely to look "generic" to us before we've gotten to know their faces and their distinctive personalities.
Well, yeah, I'm sure they're going to become much more interesting once we get to know their characters, but I think it is worth noting that they all seem to have the same hair and skin color and the same body type. Age-wise, there are some differences, but whoever photoshopped that image did their best to conceal that...
Old May 12 2013, 01:18 AM   #405
Dream
Admiral

I'm glad there is more than one female main character on this show. No one token female characters here!