RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,729
Posts: 5,432,592
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 533
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 11 2013, 07:23 PM   #391
LaxScrutiny
Commodore
 
Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

I guess the black ex-cop who grew up in the hood and the misunderstood ex-con will become regulars in mid-season.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 07:47 PM   #392
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

^You know, there's an inherent contradiction in trying to criticize stereotypes by assuming the worst about a show you haven't seen yet.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:03 PM   #393
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Yeah, from a visual standpoint, this team looks pretty damn boring. A bunch of generic, pretty-faced, vanilla tv people. But I remain confident that Whedon and his writing staff can make them interesting anyway.
My thoughts as well.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:20 PM   #394
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Here's some more info on the characters, including their SHIELD ID cards. (Sadly, Coulson's card doesn't have slight foxing around the edges. Or bloodstains.)

Melinda May is now being described as "a pilot, weapons expert, and soldier" with "crazy skills when it comes to weapons." Nothing specifically about martial arts, although of course a lot of martial arts involve weapons. However, her ID card says "Administrator," which suggests a desk job.

Interestingly, Skye (last name unknown) is represented by a surveillance photo that calls her a "possible Rising Tide collaborator." Story-arc hint?

A "first look" will be airing during Once Upon a Time tomorrow night, and will be on ABC's website afterward.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:29 PM   #395
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

"Pretty-faced" is kind of commonplace in the industry, isn't it? I mean, you just don't see a lot of ugly people in anything. Unless you need someone to play Wormtongue, of course, but I'm mainly thinking of protagonists here. They even made Velma hot.
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:55 PM   #396
LaxScrutiny
Commodore
 
Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Christopher wrote: View Post
^You know, there's an inherent contradiction in trying to criticize stereotypes by assuming the worst about a show you haven't seen yet.
Sorry, is this thread about me or about SHIELD?
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 10:18 PM   #397
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

It's also worth pointing out that one of the showrunners for this series, Maurissa Tancharoen, is herself Asian-American, which makes it unlikely that the show will traffic in Asian stereotypes. A little research might've alleviated any concerns on that point.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:02 PM   #398
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's also worth pointing out that one of the showrunners for this series, Maurissa Tancharoen, is herself Asian-American, which makes it unlikely that the show will traffic in Asian stereotypes.
Well now that's a giant case of begging the question. Unless you actually know anything about this writer, instead of wild speculation, let's wait and see, shall we? And that goes for all of us.

Reaction to the cast photo seems to be a mix of hesitancy and gradations of negativity. Of course appearances can be deceiving, but first impressions do matter.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:13 PM   #399
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Gaith wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
It's also worth pointing out that one of the showrunners for this series, Maurissa Tancharoen, is herself Asian-American, which makes it unlikely that the show will traffic in Asian stereotypes.
Well now that's a giant case of begging the question. Unless you actually know anything about this writer, instead of wild speculation, let's wait and see, shall we? And that goes for all of us.

Reaction to the cast photo seems to be a mix of hesitancy and gradations of negativity. Of course appearances can be deceiving, but first impressions do matter.
You might be familiar with her from:



I think it is safe to say she isn't in a hurry to propagate the stereotypes.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:53 PM   #400
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Venardhi wrote: View Post
You might be familiar with her from:



I think it is safe to say she isn't in a hurry to propagate the stereotypes.
Which is exactly my point. Thank you for the backup.

I don't do "wild speculation." I do research. It's not that hard.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:02 AM   #401
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Yeah, from a visual standpoint, this team looks pretty damn boring. A bunch of generic, pretty-faced, vanilla tv people. But I remain confident that Whedon and his writing staff can make them interesting anyway.
Did you honestly expect them to cast ugly actors for the show?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:13 AM   #402
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Dream wrote: View Post
Did you honestly expect them to cast ugly actors for the show?
I would have applauded them if they did. At the very least they could have cast someone with different coloured hair.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:51 AM   #403
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Dream wrote: View Post
AvBaur wrote: View Post
Yeah, from a visual standpoint, this team looks pretty damn boring. A bunch of generic, pretty-faced, vanilla tv people. But I remain confident that Whedon and his writing staff can make them interesting anyway.
Did you honestly expect them to cast ugly actors for the show?
Not to mention that any cast is likely to look "generic" to us before we've gotten to know their faces and their distinctive personalities.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:16 AM   #404
AvBaur
Captain
 
AvBaur's Avatar
 
Location: Munich, Germany
View AvBaur's Twitter Profile
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
AvBaur wrote: View Post
Yeah, from a visual standpoint, this team looks pretty damn boring. A bunch of generic, pretty-faced, vanilla tv people. But I remain confident that Whedon and his writing staff can make them interesting anyway.
Did you honestly expect them to cast ugly actors for the show?
Not to mention that any cast is likely to look "generic" to us before we've gotten to know their faces and their distinctive personalities.
Well, yeah, I'm sure they're going to become much more interesting once we get to know their characters, but I think it is worth noting that they all seem to have the same hair and skin color and the same body type. Age-wise, there are some differences, but whoever photoshopped that image did their best to conceal that...
__________________
HIPSTERS IN HELL - my webcomic: http://www.hipsters-comic.com
AvBaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:18 AM   #405
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

I'm glad there is more than one female main character on this show. No one token female characters here!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
joss whedon, shield

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.