IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.23%
A 161 21.50%
A- 101 13.48%
B+ 83 11.08%
B 59 7.88%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.34%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.34%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 37 4.94%
Voters: 749. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11 2013, 08:26 PM   #1606
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
While I agree that TOS cocked up speed and distance on more than one occasion, particularly since shuttles seemed to have no warp capability, the movie has opened the can of worms even wider
I like how whenever someone highlights a flaw in 'nu' Trek the go to defense is that old Star Trek did it worse. That's like saying it's okay for someone to mug an old lady because their dad did it as well.
Because most who condemn these new movies based on a flaw will go out of their way to say the same exact thing never happened in the particular Trek they like.
Old May 11 2013, 08:27 PM   #1607
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Because most who condemn these new movies based on a flaw will go out of their way to say the same exact thing never happened in the particular Trek they like.
Those people are crazy.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:27 PM   #1608
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
I just think that if we do get to nuTNG movies in a few years that the Borg should show up in one of their movies and therefore I would like to see them left alone until then.
I wouldn't hold my breath for nuTNG. If it ever does happen, I can't see it happening before 2025 at the earliest.
Trek 13: 2016
Trek 14: 2019
Trek 15, TNG: 2022?

No.

And these screenwriters are doing everything that the owners of Trek can ask for: they write hits.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:31 PM   #1609
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I like how whenever someone highlights a flaw in 'nu' Trek the go to defense is that old Star Trek did it worse.
It's not a "defense" - it's an attempt to make the complainers be honest, if that's possible.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:35 PM   #1610
F. King Daniel
Admiral

While I agree that TOS cocked up speed and distance on more than one occasion, particularly since shuttles seemed to have no warp capability, the movie has opened the can of worms even wider
I like how whenever someone highlights a flaw in 'nu' Trek the go to defense is that old Star Trek did it worse. That's like saying it's okay for someone to mug an old lady because their dad did it as well.
You're confusing what we're saying for some kind of attack on the old. What I think is being said is that we accept Trek for what it really was, not some idealized head canon. It didn't bother us before, why should it matter now?
Old May 11 2013, 08:38 PM   #1611
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

We don't know how long the Enterprise was at Warp before the core malfunction dropped them out again. The civilian ship could have taken hours to travel to Kronos and hours back again, with the Enterprise right at the edge of Klingon space.

The Mudd ship actually could have taken the longest part of the journey, since we don't get to see the vast majority of the outbound or return journeys for it, which are implied to take quite a while.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:39 PM   #1612
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
It's not a "defense" - it's an attempt to make the complainers be honest, if that's possible.
Enterprise has been lampooned mercilessly for its mistakes, which is on par with nuTrek.

I'm the first to acknowledge old Trek's many flaws but they didn't have the Internet to cross reference things and nobody knew Trek would become such a phenomenon back then let alone one with such a rich wealth of lore. The end result was silly but the mistake was excusable.

Less so today.

And that goes triple for the negligent sexism.

And quadruple for abusing known laws of physics (and I'm talking supernovas, black holes, and freefalling objects hitting a planet's atmosphere.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:41 PM   #1613
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

And quadruple for abusing known laws of physics (and I'm talking supernovas, black holes, and freefalling objects hitting a planet's atmosphere.
Star Trek has been abusing the laws of physics for a really long time now.
Old May 11 2013, 08:42 PM   #1614
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

"Cold antimatter implosion = time travelz" for a start.
Old May 11 2013, 08:43 PM   #1615
Flake
Commodore

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
We don't know how long the Enterprise was at Warp before the core malfunction dropped them out again. The civilian ship could have taken hours to travel to Kronos and hours back again, with the Enterprise right at the edge of Klingon space.

The Mudd ship actually could have taken the longest part of the journey, since we don't get to see the vast majority of the outbound or return journeys for it, which are implied to take quite a while.
I *might* be wrong, but the Enterprise fell out of warp a few hundred thousand km from Kronos. We can see it from where the Enterprise is. Again the warp core malfunction conveniently occurred nanoseconds before they would've dropped out of warp anyway yet it appears to occur in the middle of the trip because no one is prepared for arrival. Surely the Enterprise warping into orbit of Kronos is suicidal but it seems that was the plan? I thought they were going to the neutral zone? Need to see it again (and I will be but not today!! )
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 08:45 PM   #1616
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Just seen the film plenty of nods to TOS that made me smile a lot got sucked into this the 1st hour then it flips it on its head brilliant plenty action all the way makes the film fly by and hopefully a bad guy ready for his revenge can't wait for the next instalment !!!

But please next film more McCoy Chekov and Klingons !!!!
Old May 11 2013, 08:47 PM   #1617
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Kirk's orders where to park at the edge of Klingon space and aim the torpedoes at the planet, that they could travel at warp themselves and go the rest of the way.

In the film they imply they're in dangerous territory, that Klingons do patrol that far out, but it would take hours, even a couple of days before they were found.

They were never meant to go anyway deep into Klingon space, I know Kirk changed his mind about bringing Khan back alive, but he still wanted the Enterprise kept mostly out of harms way, making sure the Klingons never detected any Starfleet presence.

So the Mudd ship could have been at Warp for a couple of hours all the way to the planet, then the same back taking up most of the distance.

Then as I said above, the much faster return could have been the Vengeance pulling the Enterprise along in her much faster more powerful warp field, overriding the Enterprise's.
Old May 11 2013, 08:56 PM   #1618
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

I am so happy they used section thirty one and they mention ketha?! Martoks birthplace! Love that ds9 is getting respected more here than in all 4 tng movies
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:15 PM   #1619
Flake
Commodore

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Kirk's orders where to park at the edge of Klingon space and aim the torpedoes at the planet, that they could travel at warp themselves and go the rest of the way.

In the film they imply they're in dangerous territory, that Klingons do patrol that far out, but it would take hours, even a couple of days before they were found.

They were never meant to go anyway deep into Klingon space, I know Kirk changed his mind about bringing Khan back alive, but he still wanted the Enterprise kept mostly out of harms way, making sure the Klingons never detected any Starfleet presence.

So the Mudd ship could have been at Warp for a couple of hours all the way to the planet, then the same back taking up most of the distance.

Then as I said above, the much faster return could have been the Vengeance pulling the Enterprise along in her much faster more powerful warp field, overriding the Enterprise's.
Park on the edge of Klingon space yes but I'm sure they end up a few hundred thousand kilometres from Kronos and thats after they are forced out of warp. It doesn't make sense. Like I said I've only seen it once and I am not 100% certain of anything but this is what I remember.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:19 PM   #1620
Ryan8bit
Commodore

King Daniel wrote: View Post
You're confusing what we're saying for some kind of attack on the old. What I think is being said is that we accept Trek for what it really was, not some idealized head canon. It didn't bother us before, why should it matter now?
The ideal time that it mattered was when the reboot initially started. That was when they could have decided to make a change, but they just didn't want to (nor would many creative teams want to). Bitching about it two movies in is just not accepting that fact from the first movie. I'm not sure what people were really expecting in that regard.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote