Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 6 2013, 02:55 PM   #46
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: John Williams to Score Star Wars Episode VII

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
Yeah!!!!!!!! John Williams is the best!

..not in a very long time. Most of his scores from the prequels was not the kind of music one had to listen to again and again, like the original trilogy scores.
He is the best film composer of all time, there is no question in my mind of that. I liked a lot of the prequel music. In many ways the music was one of the only redeeming quality of the prequels! Imagine the how much worse the prequels would have been with some boring old sonic wallpaper type music.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 03:52 PM   #47
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

^ The old saying about "polishing a turd" and all that?

I can understand the sentiment of some here that Williams did much better work with the original trilogy than with the prequel trilogy. He probably did. But you also have to look at the quality of the material he was working with. The creative canvas he was painting on, so to speak, was much more filled with over-the-top eye candy CGI effects than substantive content, in comparison to the original trilogy. Not to mention Lucas was in the director's chair, which he wasn't on V or VI, and who knows what sort of direction he gave to Williams.

I still think having Williams do the new film is a good choice. Even a mediocre outing from Williams is better than many film composers do on their best days. And having that solid, thematic connection back to the previous films is, IMHO, a good thing.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:22 PM   #48
Tom
Rear Admiral

I do agree that do to Williams age there should also be another composer involved just in case and also such a person could to the spin off movies.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:28 PM   #49
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

I LOVE John Williams scores, even the prequels and some of his underrated ones like The Lost World.

At least we won't have to listen to a Danny Elfman Star Wars score
Old May 6 2013, 06:45 PM   #50
Relayer1
Commodore

Tom wrote: View Post
I do agree that do to Williams age there should also be another composer involved just in case and also such a person could to the spin off movies.
I think there's already enough Williams Star Wars (and other scores) out there to form the basis of future soundtracks. There's a lot of music on Star Wars videogames that has the Williams feel and quote his themes. We don't have to worry about when Williams retires - a decent composer will still be able to follow in his footsteps well enough, he's done enough groundwork.

It's still good to have the real thing for the new movie though...
Old May 6 2013, 06:55 PM   #51
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I think there's already enough Williams Star Wars (and other scores) out there to form the basis of future soundtracks. There's a lot of music on Star Wars videogames that has the Williams feel and quote his themes. We don't have to worry about when Williams retires - a decent composer will still be able to follow in his footsteps well enough, he's done enough groundwork.

It's still good to have the real thing for the new movie though...
Agreed on all counts.

I don't think there's any reason that Williams needs to have an "understudy" working on the new film. First off, yes, he's 81, but he's in good health, still very active, and still has a thriving career. For all we know, he could be scoring movies for another 20 years.

Second, as you said, it's not as though other composers aren't familiar with either the existing Star Wars material or Williams' style. A decent composer could continue in that tradition if need be. They wouldn't have to be specially "prepped" for the job.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:58 AM   #52
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

They're also shooting the new movie in the UK. Just like the good old days......

BBC News
Old May 11 2013, 08:33 PM   #53
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Anakin's Theme, Duel of the Fates, Palpatine's Teachings, Padme's Ruminations, Anakin's Betrayal = all win.
Old May 12 2013, 05:24 AM   #54
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Anakin's Theme, Duel of the Fates, Palpatine's Teachings, Padme's Ruminations, Anakin's Betrayal = all win.
I'll also raise you Across the Stars and Battle of the Heroes
Old May 12 2013, 11:07 PM   #55
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Heck, even one-off event music, like the Flag Parade from Phantom Menace was pretty good. The Droid March was good. And there were moments from ROTS, like the Order 66 sequence that were just downright emotional.

Yeah, the prequel music was really pretty good. AOTC suffered because Lucas chose to have almost the entire final act of the film use recycled TPM music (thank you, Ben Burtt). But The Arena shows just what Williams was capable of, given the opportunity.
Old May 13 2013, 06:04 AM   #56
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

The Anakin & Padmé Love Theme is magnificent, one of the finest themes of the whole saga. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: their wedding in AOTC leading into the end credits is hands down the best end scene of all six movies, followed by the award sequence at the end of the original film. That love theme, and the way the music fits everything perfectly, is one major reason why the scene is so great.
Old May 13 2013, 07:44 AM   #57
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I actually think it's a bit abrupt, when it goes from the Imperial March to Across the Stars (the wedding) in that film. It's like they just spliced both scenes together at the last moment.

The medal scene in the original film was excellent.