Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 11 2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]

Destructor wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I think that you can only cure certain illnesses with his blood. Radiation poisoning in this case and whatever the little girl had. If someone had been shot, stabbed or beheaded, it wouldn't be of any use.
And screw that commander who killed himself and hundreds of people just to save his daughter-- to be charitable I'm going to assume he didn't know the explosion would be as big as it was.
"Is there anything that you would not do for your family?"
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 03:55 PM   #17
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

While you're there why not use the intermix formula in TOS and go back in time and stop the destruction of Vulcan, Admiral Pike, Kirk's father etc.

They showed in this movie they didn't reveal what PrimeSpock knows about the future to everyone and they kept transwarp beaming a secret.
I'm sure Khan's magic blood will also be kept under wraps in the next movie.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 04:52 PM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
Oh, sorry! I thought everyone had see it by now.
Everyone in the entire world has seen it in the 48 hours since release. Yes....
I don't need to worry about everyone in the world, I need to worry about everyone who reads this forum. Y'know- Star Trek fans. I didn't even like ST09 and I've already seen this movie.
Voting with your wallet, you are.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 11:07 AM   #19
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

I've seen people complain about the transwarp beaming last time for several reasons, one of them being "wahhh, they'll use it for the plot and then forget they have it in the next movie". They obviously didn't. Now, it's "wahhh, Khan's super blood was used as a McGuffin-esque plot device to save Kirk, and woe to everyone if they pick it up again in the next installment. They did the same with the transwarp plot point, how dare they have continuity!".

Seriously, what's up with that? Either you hate it that stuff gets introduced and never mentioned again, or you hate the exact opposite. You can't hate both. It makes no fucking sense.

There's no pleasing some people.

I for one am uber happy they kept him alive, and I hope he and his awesome magic blood get mentioned again in the future. I even hope it becomes a plot point, because the moral implications alone of harvesting someone's blood are incredibly complex.
Old May 12 2013, 01:47 PM   #20
Destructor
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
AntonyF wrote: View Post

Everyone in the entire world has seen it in the 48 hours since release. Yes....
I don't need to worry about everyone in the world, I need to worry about everyone who reads this forum. Y'know- Star Trek fans. I didn't even like ST09 and I've already seen this movie.
Voting with your wallet, you are.
I didn't like ST5, either, but I still saw ST6. I am a Trekkie. I will see every Star Trek thing ever made.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:57 PM   #21
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
I've seen people complain about the transwarp beaming last time for several reasons, one of them being "wahhh, they'll use it for the plot and then forget they have it in the next movie". They obviously didn't. Now, it's "wahhh, Khan's super blood was used as a McGuffin-esque plot device to save Kirk, and woe to everyone if they pick it up again in the next installment. They did the same with the transwarp plot point, how dare they have continuity!".

Seriously, what's up with that? Either you hate it that stuff gets introduced and never mentioned again, or you hate the exact opposite. You can't hate both. It makes no fucking sense.

There's no pleasing some people.

I for one am uber happy they kept him alive, and I hope he and his awesome magic blood get mentioned again in the future. I even hope it becomes a plot point, because the moral implications alone of harvesting someone's blood are incredibly complex.
It was an obvious plot device that (unlike Spock's resurrection) everybody could see coming a mile off. It definitely impacted on the emotion of the scene, although I shed a tear when Quinto's facade cracked. I also laughed out loud at the 'homage' to TWoK. Fair play, it was hilarious.

My issue with transwarp beaming is that I simply don't see how it could work the way it does in the movie without a serious amount of collateral technology (how can the signal travel faster than a subspace signal - which can take hours or days to reach its destination; how can it travel over longer distances than a subspace signal without specially designed subspace relays (Scotty used standard Federation communication relays in the comic and Harrison I assume must have hacked Klingon communication relays but a transporter signal contains a hell of a lot more data than a subspace communication); how can the annular confinement beam retain the integrity of a signal without something extra to power the beam; since scanners don't have that kind of range (quite often they don't even detect a ship in visual range) and they can't even beam up a person who is moving too much, how can a person not die if they are beaming over light years without a receiving pad to aim for). It should be a death sentence and it irritates me that they hand waved that away with a 'ooh this is soo dangerous but we'll use it and succeed anyway' line.

They can easily use the serum again but it will depend on the plot whether it works. A throwaway line, "The serum didn't work this time Jim.' is all it takes.

I find the casual disregard for inter-stellar distances far more annoying than the serum. No longer will it matter if the Enterprise is the only ship in the quadrant when all the other ships can travel there in less than a day. Why dis Spock even care that the fleet was in the Laurentian system - he could have sent a subspace message to Feceration outposts nearer to the fleet and given them half an hour to turn up.

LAME!

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 11:16 PM   #22
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I'm thinking back to Enterprise's "Borderland", where Archer tells Phlox that his father would be alive today if genetic engineering hadn't been banned after the Eugenics Wars. Looking at it post-Into Darkness, it would seem it was this suppressed magic healing blood that could have cured Henry Archer's Clarke's Disease, rather than some DNA manipulation.
Old May 12 2013, 11:35 PM   #23
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
It was an obvious plot device that (unlike Spock's resurrection) everybody could see coming a mile off.
Who couldn't see Spock's resurrection coming a mile off between the Katra thing and the soft landing of the torpedo on the magical life creating planet? Nimoy wasn't a guarantee for STIII yet, but they sure left a big enough hint in case he decided to return.