Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 11 2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

Marvel's Avengers Assemble animated series discussion

First trailer released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYf0LhvCbtk

Looking good. Interestingly it appears to be after some point in time when the Avengers have disbanded. It obviously looks quite inspired by the movie with the members, not at all like a sequel to EMH. I wonder how much this is connected to the movie, and if will hint towards Avengers 2 which out in 2015?

One thing I hope is that we will be getting more members as the season goes by.

The 1-hour preview of the series airs on May 26, with the official premiere of the first season on July 7, 2013.
Old May 11 2013, 01:36 AM   #2
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Marvel's Avengers Assemble animated series discussion

No Captain America?

I have to admit, it took me a while to warm up to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (more due to the fact that I've always been more of a DC fan), but once I got into it, I loved it. From what I heard, they are following in the footsteps of Ultimate Spider-Man and "fan-boy" Falcon hits the wrong note for me. Maybe it's out of context, I don't know.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Dream
Admiral

New group pic

Old May 11 2013, 02:18 AM   #4
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Looking forward to this as both my DC shows were cancelled. Agree about Falcon, little to silly for me. Animation looks good though.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
No Captain America?

I have to admit, it took me a while to warm up to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (more due to the fact that I've always been more of a DC fan), but once I got into it, I loved it. From what I heard, they are following in the footsteps of Ultimate Spider-Man and "fan-boy" Falcon hits the wrong note for me. Maybe it's out of context, I don't know.
Yeah, Um. According to the preview summary thing in the other thread the team reforms after Red Skull seemingly kills him.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 04:25 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Dream wrote: View Post
Looking good. Interestingly it appears to be after some point in time when the Avengers have disbanded. It obviously looks quite inspired by the movie with the members, not at all like a sequel to EMH.
I've heard it claimed that it's in continuity with EMH, but this trailer makes that seem unlikely. EMH's Falcon was very different from this guy, a more serious, tough character voiced by Fringe's Lance Reddick. I'm wondering if it might relate to EMH the way Spider-Man Unlimited related to its predecessor animated series back in the '90s -- ambiguous about its relationship to the previous show so that it gives the impression of a connection at first but is really a distinct continuity.

For what it's worth, I gather the characters have the same voices they had in Ultimate Spider-Man (at least for those who've appeared there), which raises the question of whether it's in continuity with that.

I wonder how much this is connected to the movie, and if will hint towards Avengers 2 which out in 2015?
Probably not at all. It gives the impression that the Avengers were a going concern for a while before they finally disbanded. In the Cinematic Universe, the Avengers disbanded right after the Battle of New York. So it wouldn't work as the same continuity. Most likely the only connection is that it uses the same characters. Animated tie-ins to movies often use the same basic characters and elements while going their own way continuity-wise. Like the way Batman: The Animated Series used Tim Burton-style designs for Penguin and Catwoman even though its versions of those characters were (thankfully) very different from Burton's.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Raze
Ensign

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
shivkala wrote: View Post
No Captain America?

Yeah, Um. According to the preview summary thing in the other thread the team reforms after Red Skull seemingly kills him.
What? That's a little odd, considering there are more Captain America movies in the pipeline.
Raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

I doubt Cap is actually killed in the show, since he's been seen in the promo images, and since they're clearly trying to copy the movie's cast.

This setup reminds me a lot of the Wolverine and the X-Men animated series, which opened with an established X-Men team disbanding after Professor X and Jean were apparently killed. Needless to say, both characters later turned up alive.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Nomad will turn up for half a season and then finally reveal himself to be Steve Rogers all along.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 12:49 PM   #10
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Or maybe this will be US Agent's time to shine!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

He's got all his limbs again! Go Thunderbolts Go!

They could also hide him inside Ronin or the Crimson Cowl.

Old May 11 2013, 01:00 PM   #12
Dream
Admiral

So if Carol joins the team, will she called Ms Marvel or Captain Marvel on this show?
Old May 11 2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Or Warbird or Binary?

Old May 11 2013, 03:02 PM   #14
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Looked good until I saw the way Falcon was talking; it reminded me of that awful Ultimate Spider-man show. I had understood Avengers was going to be more serious, but it looks like more of the same crap.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 06:21 PM   #15
publiusr
Commodore

I'm just glad Iron Man is drawn more...decently. Less like a blow up doll or a toddler

--heck, even that Iron Man Cartoon from the 90's that iO9 bashed did a better job
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote