Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Star Trek (2009) vs. Into Darkness
Star Trek (2009) is the best 14 16.28%
Into Darkness is the best 49 56.98%
Equally good 23 26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11 2013, 02:51 AM   #1
Aike
Commander

Poll: Star Trek (2009) vs Into Darkness (Spoilers)

Which one is the best?

I find them equally good.

What do you think?
Aike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 02:57 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Poll: Star Trek (2009) vs Into Darkness (Spoilers)

Considering I find about a third of Star Trek 2009 unwatchable, I figure Into Darkness is going to be better though I haven't seen it yet.
Old May 11 2013, 03:00 AM   #3
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

2009. A near perfect film IMHO.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 05:19 AM   #4
Destructor
Commodore

I vastly preferred Into Darkness. I though the plot made a lot more sense, the jokes 'landed' a lot more than in the original (which I thought was a lot 'broader' in terms of humour with the fat hands and the bumping-of-heads on the ceiling and such) and thought it was generally more spectacular and satisfying. Yes the plot had problems but I was grinning the whole way through STID- not the case with ST09.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Edge of Forever
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I liked both equally, but I reckon Into Darkness was better.

Honestly, 2009 had a better pacing to it and it felt fresher but was weighted down by some poor character judgement (by which I mean the villain was weak as all mighty hell).

Into Darkness had a better villain -Cumberbatch nailed it. I reckon he had far more depth than both of his predecessor although I don't think he nailed the revenge aspect I also don't really think that was the point of this literation of the character- this time it was more about family.

Family being said, the crew worked brilliantly as well and the Spock and Kirk scenes, especially when Kirk saves everyone was brilliantly acted.

I also really liked how they didn't kill Harrison at the end. That's a nice change from the standard blockbuster (Only other two I can think of like that was The Dark Knight and the Avengers).

Also, I love that Carol Marcus is part of the crew now. Really love that. The core crew needs at least another women and I'm so happy that's happening. I look forward to seeing her back.

I reckon the script in Into Darkness was a slightly a bit worse but that's mostly because they really upped the fanservice and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it.

I'm a fan of good script work which is probably why I enjoyed both equally. Overall though I reckon Into Darkness was better simply for the acting and the character work.

Also, loved the empty getting blown to pieces at war, that was some beautiful work.

The Klingon looked awesome as well. Actually alien, well more alien. And it was nice to see that they're still suffering the Worf Effect. Getting their arse handed to them to prove just how badass the villain is. It wouldn't be Star Trek without it.
Edge of Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

At the moment I'd say Trek 2009 but I need to give ID a second viewing.
Old May 11 2013, 09:33 AM   #7
M
Vice Admiral

Didn't love the 2009 movie, but liked it a great deal. The plot was full of holes and Nero was a weak villain, but the presentation was fresh and it was nice to witness these characters again. This time around, the new-ness had worn off for me, which led me to focus much more on the story itself. And unfortunately I didn't find a lot to like about it. Weak performances, too much fanwank and a plot that didn't make a lot of sense. STID looks amazing – even more so than its predecessor – but felt rather hollow to this fan.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

I saw both movies in a double feature on premiere night. Although I had seen Star Trek several times already, several of its scenes still moved me more than anything in STID. Combined with the (IMO) sometimes rather strange story choices of STID, this makes Star Trek the better movie for me.
Old May 11 2013, 03:26 PM   #9
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Star Trek 4/5
Star Trek Into Darkness 5/5
Old May 11 2013, 03:55 PM   #10
lau03143
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Definitely Into Darkness for me.
Old May 11 2013, 05:36 PM   #11
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

This is going to be THE thread in the next few months, because this comparison is very important. It needs to show a positive trend for the survival of the franchise, or else...
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 06:26 PM   #12
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

just got back from seeing Into Darkness for the second time. took my fiancé along who is not a scifi fan (the most scifi she will go is Lost/Fringe) and she thought it was great. she said as a non-scifi fan she really liked how real it felt, even the space/ ship parts.

definitely enjoyed this film a lot more the second time around. first viewing i was trying to anticipate what would happen and see if the way i'd pieced together the trailer clips in my head played out as a though. they didn't thankfully

this film felt like a Star Trek film - not that '09 wasn't. dare I say it, it felt like a Trek adventure that could easily slot in with the vibe of the original series.

loved how much of the movie was actually spent in space on the Enterprise. and Klingons! FUCK YEAH!! now if the third movie can boldly go somewhere and have an exploration type story to it I will be a happy boy
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:45 PM   #13
jangotrek
Cadet

Star Trek Into Darkness is definitely better.
jangotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 12:46 AM   #14
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

I went to see this move with my Dad who didn't rate the first one at all (mainly because he hated the Spock/Uhura relationship and hates it when Spock shows any hint of emotion, plus doesn't really understand the whole timeline issue...but then this was a guy who didn't understand the Batman movies were a reboot and asked me how Heath Ledgers Joker took over from Jack Nicholson's Joker, bless him )

Afterwards he was stunned by how good it was and said it was the best star trek movie of all of them!

I was stunned by this myself, he only came begrudgingly because it was my Birthday and he thought he might get some Space Battles out of it (he's not an action fan per se but since he didn't like the first one he thought that's the only part he'd like...) and ended up loving it so much he sought out a documentary on JJ on the BBC this evening...."Oh, he was the Cloverfield guy, well that explains it I liked that too..., OH and LOST as well!!"

I think this film converted him and might even make him reconsider the first one in retrospect.

Me? Well I loved the first and thought this was even better, the best summer blockbuster by far and one with a lot of heart and character to go with its awe-inspiring action scenes.
Old May 12 2013, 12:51 AM   #15
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

I liked ST (2009), but definitely STID.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote