Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 10 2013, 08:14 PM   #31
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Re: References to other Trek MASSIVE SPOILERS!!

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Chekov's face and the music cue when Kirk tells him to "go put on a red shirt" has to count as a reference.
Not only has it to count as a reference, it was THE reference! With all the other "in your face" references in the nuTrek movies this was probably the most subtle and the most enjoyable one at the same time!
Old May 10 2013, 08:18 PM   #32
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

When Cumberbund reveals his real name there was a very "Khany" Space Seed/TWOK musical cue for a couple of seconds.

This I liked.
Old May 10 2013, 08:22 PM   #33
anotherdemon
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I liked the D4 types. It appears they were just border patrol vessels (they were quick to respond) rather than full warships. Small Birds of Prey.

They seemed Klingon enough. Forward firing weaponry, moving control surfaces for atmospheric agility, and quick boarding/assault lines for warriors.
anotherdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 09:37 PM   #34
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Probably doesn't count as a reference, but Admiral Bastard reminded me a lot of Admiral "Bitch" Nechayev, though to be fair he was much worse.
Old May 10 2013, 10:59 PM   #35
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

I also assumed it was Praxis behind Qo'nos, sorry, for the non trek fans who can't pronounce that, phonetically spelled 'Kronos' lmao. *shakes fist*

But I waited until I saw a few other comments. It's too obvious an easter egg to be next to the planet. Must've been over mined earlier in this timeline. Cool.

Chekov's face and the music cue when Kirk tells him to "go put on a red shirt" has to count as a reference.
That had to be the best moment in the film. Period.

Chekov almost breaking the fourth wall with a glance, very slightly, when he's told to "Go put on a red shirt." So funny,yet it's a neat little call back as according to Kirk at his bollocking by Pike, he's never lost an officer. So it's a perfect in joke. Better than Olsen the redshirt in 09 Trek.

Chekovs line is still the best though, "Olsen is gone sir." Gets me everytime, in a good way.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 03:30 AM   #36
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

When Kirk told Chekov to put on the red shirt and his reaction I cracked up.

Also second time I did notice the reference to the "Mudd incident" which was great!
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 03:32 AM   #37
Phily B
Fleet Captain

I really really really loved the ending too, Kirk doing the "Boldly go speech" and the music...

I just hope the Courage/Goldsmith theme is utilised a little more in the next one.
Old May 11 2013, 05:02 AM   #38
Destructor
Commodore

Plausible deniability. "You say I'm building a secret dreadnought warship? No son, it's a model. I have a hobby - see?" *points*
I LOL'd. Love it.

Phily B wrote: View Post
When Kirk told Chekov to put on the red shirt and his reaction I cracked up.
Me too! I felt like I was the only person in the theatre who was laughing though. I thought it was Hilars.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
The Federation obviously aren't the only ones stepping up weapons production. Praxis was overmined for something extremely volatile or used for subspace weapon testing in the Prime Universe, they've done the same here, only earlier.

Don't forget, the Klingons held Nero and the Narada for 25 years, they were likely as eager to have new weapons to combat it as Starfleet, and could explain a lot of Marcus' paranoia at the situation.
Yup, this was my thought exactly- the destruction of Vulcan alone could be used to explain the acceleration of mining on Praxis, let alone having the Nerada in their possession for 25 years! I think that exploded moon was definitely meant to be a reference to Praxis.

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 11 2013 at 05:35 AM. Reason: triple post merged
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 05:34 AM   #39
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Things go better with .
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 11:46 AM   #40
Danlav05
Commander

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
When Spock pulled off that bit off the flyer and started hitting Khan in the head with it, it reminded me of how Kirk beat Khan in 'Space Seed'
Makes you wonder: When Spock contacts Prime-Spock on New Vulcan and asks him about Khan, the conversation ends in mid conversation with nu-Spock asking "How did you manage to defeat him?"-or something like that. Did Prime-Spock tell him "You take some piece of equipment and beat him repeatedly with it" after the cut? ;-)

I love the K'normian reference and all those models ships. We'll have fun at Memory Alpha and EAS writing and updating all the articles for those ships! :-)
Random question but does Spock Prime look exactly as in 2009? New costume or one from the first movie?
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 12:19 PM   #41
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
The NX-01 amongst Admiral Bastard's desk models.
Right next to the NX-Alpha from ENT: "First Flight" and the Ringship Enterprise XCV-330 from background art in The Motion Picture and Enterprise. I think I also saw a model of ENT's "warp delta" from the opening credits but am not 100% sure.

I loved that they managed to answer the four-year fan debate about Enterprise's place in both timelines with something so minor that fitted perfectly into the scene.
YES, that is beautiful.

I am soooo looking forward to being able to hit pause and study all that

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 12:27 PM   #42
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Me too! I'm sure there's a LOT of stuff I missed throughout thr movie on my first viewing.
Danlav05 wrote: View Post
Random question but does Spock Prime look exactly as in 2009? New costume or one from the first movie?
New costume. It looked like was wearing robes (although we only saw his head and shoulders). His hair wasn't as grey as STXI, I guess he got some Just For Vulcans.
Old May 11 2013, 01:07 PM   #43
M
Vice Admiral

I didn't really mind the superfluous cameo, but I thought Nimoy looked great! He seemed much too thin in Star Trek (2009), but looked very healthy here. What I saw of the custome looked cool, too. The shoulder pads he wore in the last movie were ridiculous.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:12 PM   #44
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Little nod to sulu becoming a captain and liking the chair !!!!
Old May 12 2013, 02:19 AM   #45
Phily B
Fleet Captain

I thought McCoy flirting about his "legendary hands" could've been a reference to when Dax talked about him having the hands of a surgeon.