RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,774
Posts: 5,216,906
Members: 24,218
Currently online: 677
Newest member: momogila

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 10 2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

...Or whatever he did after losing the Stargazer, as these feats supposedly would have been essential in him getting the Enterprise. The Stargazer career as such doesn't sound like a recommendation: 22 years stuck on the same ship (with some of that spent commanding her), then an embarrassing loss of the vessel. And then the disclosure that the vessel had in fact fallen in the hands of Federation adversaries, or at least competitors, before the offer for Admiral rank came!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 10:25 PM   #17
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen
 
CaptainStoner's Avatar
 
Location: Hill dweller
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

I just watched the BOBW remaster the other day. It looks great.

It is an odd thing. Certainly, Riker proved himself as a Captain.
BOBW is, in large part, a Riker episode. So the title is about him as well. It's about what goes on with Picard/Borg, but also about Riker, who discovers his own BOBW in his career decisions.

I also noticed that, right in the opening scene, the Admiral tells Picard that Shelby is his "old man's fantasy". I think Picard ignores the comment and gets a cup of tea. LOL.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 02:59 AM   #18
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

BOBW was Riker's best episode. He was completely ruined as a character forever afterward.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 03:24 AM   #19
Lance
Fleet Captain
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Riker didn't want to be Captain. I think there are numerous times throughout TNG where he gets bumped up in rank and Frakes plays it like the whole "responsibility" thing un-nerves Riker (which is odd because Riker's whole point in the beginning was that he had fire in his belly for a command of his own). The truth is that Will found his niche in life and was perfectly comfortable as XO. It was pretty clever how the writers actually used this as the basis for the plot in "The Pegasus" though. Having Riker question exactly when and why he changed from ambitious career man to just being a guy who is happy being where he is.

(Admittedly, in any real situation Riker would have been busted down for standing in the way of other people in the chain of command. Again, BOBW gets some great dramatic milage out of this.)

Tbh I think even in "Nemesis" Riker seems less than enthused about leaving Enterprise and becoming a Captain. The sweetener was really his marriage. Not that one necessarily follows the other.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 03:27 AM   #20
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
A field commission is a perfectly legitimate commission. And there's no reason to bust the guy back to commander after he's saved the Earth.

Now, I understand there's no ship for him to take command of...and it's just awkward to have Picard call him "Captain" for a year. (Though that can just be avoided by always referring to him as Number One.) But let's say you're Rick Berman, and you don't give a flip if your show has serialized elements...how do you fix this?

Myself, I offer Frakes DS9*, and go with either Shelby coming back in a year if the actress wants to, or with Data as XO.

*It could work! Don't be hatin...
Personally, I have this theory that Section 31 told Riker to stay on the Enterprise to keep an eye on Picard, ready to make him disappear if Picard starting acting funky...
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 03:55 AM   #21
ZapBrannigan
Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

The requirements of weekly television ("Don't wreck the premise") sometimes force a character to act against his own best interests. A real William Riker would have taken his first chance for command and just promised to keep in touch with his beloved Enterprise shipmates. And gradually distance would fade those affections. But TV is different. If the cameras are on the Enterprise, then that's where fictional Riker wants to stay, at any cost.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 06:16 PM   #22
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
I also noticed that, right in the opening scene, the Admiral tells Picard that Shelby is his "old man's fantasy". I think Picard ignores the comment and gets a cup of tea. LOL.
That got a BIG laugh at the screening.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 06:44 PM   #23
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Here too.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 07:09 PM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Timo wrote: View Post
...Or whatever he did after losing the Stargazer, as these feats supposedly would have been essential in him getting the Enterprise. The Stargazer career as such doesn't sound like a recommendation: 22 years stuck on the same ship (with some of that spent commanding her), then an embarrassing loss of the vessel. And then the disclosure that the vessel had in fact fallen in the hands of Federation adversaries, or at least competitors, before the offer for Admiral rank came!

Timo Saloniemi
I dunno, 22 years sounds like a pretty impressive resume to me. It's pretty much indicated that the Stargazer was involved not only in general several exploration and scientific missions, but also was part of the Federaton/Cardassian border war. Not to mention Picard's having made first contact personally with 27 species... chances are a good number of them were on the Stargazer. So plenty of chances for him to have been a hero there. Sure the end of the Stargazer's career was less than glorious, but one screw up doesn't undo 22 years of good.

Picard spoke nostalgically of the ship quite often, going as far to call it his "first love" to Scotty. So I could conceivably see him turning down better commands to stay with his old warhorse, finally only taking a new command once he had lost her.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:08 AM   #25
Xerxes1979
Captain
 
Xerxes1979's Avatar
 
Location: Gamma Hydra Section 10
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Isn't it obvious that the promotion was never official since the paper work was either never sent or blocked by Borg subspace interference? It was up to Riker to contact the Starfleet HR department, something that he may not have ever done or mentioned in an official log.

Or perhaps like Decker, Riker was a recipient of a "temporary rank reduction" albeit willingly in this case.
__________________
"Your knowledge of Klingon curses is impressive. But, as the Romulans might say, only a Veruul would use such language in public"
Xerxes1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:26 AM   #26
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Xerxes1979 wrote: View Post
Isn't it obvious that the promotion was never official since the paper work was either never sent or blocked by Borg subspace interference? It was up to Riker to contact the Starfleet HR department, something that he may not have ever done or mentioned in an official log.

Or perhaps like Decker, Riker was a recipient of a "temporary rank reduction" albeit willingly in this case.
Ouch, Riker's rank is lost cause the Admiral is killed? Hah, that actually makes a lot of sense given the bureaucratic clusterblehs that happen even today.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:22 AM   #27
garak1
Captain
 
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

This is an interesting discussion.

When I first saw 'The Best of Both Worlds', I simply assumed that Riker returned to his position as executive officer of the Enterprise at Commander rank as per procedure after Picard was recovered.

However, the discussion in this thread makes a convincing case for maintaining Riker's field commission as captain and giving him a seperate command after Wolf 359. This would certainly have been in fitting with the reconstruction efforts underway in Starfleet after the invasion.

The one counterpoint I offer is that Riker requested to stay on the Enterprise to support his injured Captain. Given the guidance and support Picard had shown to Riker for the three years preceding that time, then it would seem appropriate that Riker remain onboard afterwards to help the family of the Enterprise recover from such a terrible ordeal.

Given the unprecedented events of the Borg invasion, then I imagine that Starfleet would readily have overlooked any regulations in granting his request for the sake of stability on the fleet flagship and in recognition of the valiant efforts of the crew in recovering Picard and subsequently defeating the Borg.

This is certainly fitting with the motivations of the character of Riker. Loyalty to his ship, his crew and his captain undoubtably played a major role in his remaining onboard.
garak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:59 AM   #28
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

R. Star wrote: View Post
Xerxes1979 wrote: View Post
Isn't it obvious that the promotion was never official since the paper work was either never sent or blocked by Borg subspace interference? It was up to Riker to contact the Starfleet HR department, something that he may not have ever done or mentioned in an official log.

Or perhaps like Decker, Riker was a recipient of a "temporary rank reduction" albeit willingly in this case.
Ouch, Riker's rank is lost cause the Admiral is killed? Hah, that actually makes a lot of sense given the bureaucratic clusterblehs that happen even today.
Maybe, it all depends on whether or not ships rooutinely recorded subspace messages. So whilst the Adm. was killed the Enterprises computers held a record of the Adm. transmission promoting Riker.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:13 AM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

MacLeod wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Xerxes1979 wrote: View Post
Isn't it obvious that the promotion was never official since the paper work was either never sent or blocked by Borg subspace interference? It was up to Riker to contact the Starfleet HR department, something that he may not have ever done or mentioned in an official log.

Or perhaps like Decker, Riker was a recipient of a "temporary rank reduction" albeit willingly in this case.
Ouch, Riker's rank is lost cause the Admiral is killed? Hah, that actually makes a lot of sense given the bureaucratic clusterblehs that happen even today.
Maybe, it all depends on whether or not ships rooutinely recorded subspace messages. So whilst the Adm. was killed the Enterprises computers held a record of the Adm. transmission promoting Riker.
Necheyev: Commander... you expect me to believe a dead man promoted you and only -you- have the only surviving record.... right....
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 10:27 AM   #30
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Will: But Beverly was there too!

Bev: Aw, don't bring me into this, Will...
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.