Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 6 2013, 07:38 AM   #2041
LastRideOut
Ensign

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Well, I skipped buying this set because the screenshots that were posted did not look good at all. With that said, I saw the Blu-Ray Season 2 set at the local thrift store for $2 and bought it for $1 after spinning the save-$ wheel, which landed at 50 percent off. So the total paid was $1.08.

I've watched two episodes so far, and yeah, relative to S1 and now S3 which I bought at Target, it looks bad. The live action shots in S2 look like the gag reel on the Best of Both Worlds Blu-Ray set- that is, they look unprocessed. The picture overall looks flat in season 2. The uniforms don't pop at all, like in S1 and S3. The FX looks washed out. Just an all around bad job by HTV. The only saving grace of S2 is that it still looks better than the SD DVD set by a large margin.

Glad I paid only $1 for it. If I hear that HTV is doing future seasons, I'll be skipping those as well, and getting only the seasons that CBS-D does, or does the "conforms" for, like in S4 which I have high hopes for.
LastRideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 10:17 AM   #2042
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Well we already know that HTV are no longer involved. Modern Video are doing season 4, and based on the Season 4 trailer, it looks like they're doing a pretty good job. If the Season 4 remaster is up to scratch then I imagine they'll get the nod for Season 6 as well.
Old May 6 2013, 12:06 PM   #2043
NewHorizon
Captain

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
^^ Well we already know that HTV are no longer involved. Modern Video are doing season 4, and based on the Season 4 trailer, it looks like they're doing a pretty good job. If the Season 4 remaster is up to scratch then I imagine they'll get the nod for Season 6 as well.
The only issue with the S4 trailer is that the really good stuff being showcased is actually from Redemption part 2, which was done by CBS-D. It doesn't give a good feel for Modern videos work at all really.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 05:05 PM   #2044
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Angel4576 wrote: View Post
The only issue with the S4 trailer is that the really good stuff being showcased is actually from Redemption part 2, which was done by CBS-D. It doesn't give a good feel for Modern videos work at all really.
Actually, yeah, fair point. We'll have to wait a little longer to see how MV fare I suppose, but it's difficult to imagine anyone being as inconsistent as HTV were. Hopefully with CBS-D paying much closer attention, and doing the conforms this time, we'll get something much better than Season 2. Having Max Gabl involved will help too - the planets in Season 2 stuck out like a sore thumb compared to what we'd gotten in the first season.

Oh well, fingers crossed.
Old May 6 2013, 06:16 PM   #2045
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Modern Video's work so far looks pretty good. Far superior to HTV. If CBS-D is an 10, and HTV is a 5, then MV so far looks like an 8.

Some of the trailer shots were rough in the first place. The shot of the Enterprise firing torpedoes? That was always overlit and ugly. I'll reserve my judgment until I see their take on the stock footage of the 6-footer.

I do notice that MV's starfields don't look as good as CBS-D's. The stars are a little too big and blurry, but still much better than HTV.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:27 PM   #2046
Reeborg
Lieutenant Commander

I have purchased Season 1 and haven't really looked through it yet.Then I had planned to purchase Season 2 only when I'd get a really good deal. I just ordered online at 26 USD. I found that acceptable.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 07:37 AM   #2047
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...tle_hd_455.jpg

Go home, HTV, you're drunk:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...nce_hd_443.jpg
Old May 10 2013, 08:50 AM   #2048
Timo47
Commander

OMG.

And the worst part is, there was no need to redo this shot. It's exactly the same and could have been lifted directly from season 1.
Timo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 11:47 PM   #2049
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Timo47 wrote: View Post
And the worst part is, there was no need to redo this shot. It's exactly the same and could have been lifted directly from season 1.
The same can be said about 75% of the effects shots in season 2. Most of the shots are stock footage from season 1. Yet they were all redone. Perhaps if HTV hadn't wasted their time redoing shots already done by CBS-D, they could have put more time and effort into the new shots, such as in Q Who.
Old May 11 2013, 12:09 AM   #2050
MickJo1701
Commander

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Timo47 wrote: View Post
The same can be said about 75% of the effects shots in season 2. Most of the shots are stock footage from season 1. Yet they were all redone. Perhaps if HTV hadn't wasted their time redoing shots already done by CBS-D, they could have put more time and effort into the new shots, such as in Q Who.
It also makes us wonder why CBS-D didn't provide HTV with the already remastered elements of the stock shots, starfields etc in the first place, I hope this isn't the case for Season 4 and MV even with the supervision they reportedly received to ensure consistency between seasons.

Another FX fluff in that episode is the misaligned deflector glow element and the warp nacelle glows are missing all together.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x21/peakperformance_hd_379.jpg
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 12:22 AM   #2051
Jeyl
Commodore

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Another FX fluff in that episode is the misaligned deflector glow element and the warp nacelle glows are missing all together.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x21/peakperformance_hd_379.jpg
That's nothing compared to the misalignment of the deflector dish from this screen cap.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ob...rmance-1-r.jpg

It almost looks like the light on the dish is facing an entirely different direction!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 02:26 AM   #2052
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Peak Performance looks better than most of HTV's season 2 work and they still managed to screw it up. I'm glad I'm not an X-Files fan as I'll be spared the inevitable disappointment when they screw up the remastering of that too.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 07:24 AM   #2053
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

TrekCore's screencaps for Shades of Gray are pretty interesting. I checked to see how HTV handled CBS-D's stock footage.

The framing, color and grain structure of the stock footage is different. That leads me to believe HTV started with the raw 2K scans of the negatives and completed the footage from scratch rather than using CBS-D's work. I assume they just ran the shot list through their iConform software without utilizing what was already available. Perhaps this was the quicker and easier way, who knows.

That doesn't apply to just the season 1 stuff, even scenes reused from season 2 have different framing and color timing from the original episodes:
The Dauphin:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...hin_hd_151.jpg
Shades of Gray:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...ray_hd_214.jpg

Shades of Gray was originally made with stock footage to save money and time. It looks like HTV ironically gave this episode way too much attention.

Here's a good example of DNR used by HTV:

HTV applying DNR, skin looks waxy:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...ray_hd_361.jpg

Original CBS-D:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...sis_hd_433.jpg

Last edited by jimbotron; May 13 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old May 13 2013, 08:42 AM   #2054
DJ Mike
Ensign

I did wonder how Shades Of Gray would fare compared to its original source episodes!
DJ Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 09:00 PM   #2055
Jadin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Despite the new graphics, that episode is excruciating.
Jadin is offline   Reply With Quote