Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9 2013, 08:51 AM   #166
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
I'm on the IMDB boards a lot myself, and no, I disagree; not everybody's a kid; many people are adults making adult comments.
Sure, I guess, if you broaden the definition to those who can use a fork.

I suspect that many of the fans (the kids you were talking about) thought that the movie would be like the recent CGI animated series in which the original version of the Mandarin's a major character; when they didn't get what they wanted, they were angry.
Are those the "adult comments" you were referring to?
Old May 9 2013, 09:18 AM   #167
Mage
Commodore

Well, I really liked it, loved it actually. The entire angst made sense to me, considering what Tony went through in Avengers. It's interesting to consider how he made Iron Man an identity on its own, almost taking him over, loosing himself in this creation of his, because the real world is just to much to handle now. Creating all those different armors, they are all different aspects of him, things that he needs to be able to do to protect himself but mostly those that he loves. Since he realized that all his might, everything he created sofar wasn't not good enough. Both his armors in Avengers, as powerfull as they were, were almost not enough to save the world. I mean, the Mark 42 he could actually remote control and wrap around others, not just him, to save them.

I really liked how this movie focused on Tony, not on the armor. Other then that, the fact it was all less superhero and more a good cloak and dagger thriller was something that I enjoyed as well.
Old May 9 2013, 05:48 PM   #168
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Couldn't he have simply stolen a credit card from that Extremis agent he killed, or any cash she was carrying? If we're so concerned about where he got the Home Depot money, I mean.
Old May 10 2013, 01:09 AM   #169
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The extra Chinese footage will be made available in a "short film". Another "Marvel One-Shot"?
Old May 10 2013, 02:14 AM   #170
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Couldn't he have simply stolen a credit card from that Extremis agent he killed, or any cash she was carrying? If we're so concerned about where he got the Home Depot money, I mean.
He doesn't look like an "Ellen", though.
Old May 10 2013, 10:21 AM   #171
P Tom
Commander

How did Killian get off Air Force One, if the president was the one inside the Iron Patriot suit as implied by the subsequent scenes?
Old May 10 2013, 12:01 PM   #172
Scout101
Admiral

Presumably carried him off and then switched after?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 12:49 PM   #173
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Killian wasn't on Air Force One. Savin used the Iron Patriot suit to get aboard and we all saw what happened to him.

I saw this again tonight and I have to say I still enjoyed the shit out of the film. It's not as "deep" as Iron Man but it's still a lot of fun and most the funny lines still had me cracking up. I enjoyed Ben Kingsley's performance even more knowing the big reveal, but it's also a lot more obvious that he's playing a cheesy, bad actor portraying a fake terrorist.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 01:47 PM   #174
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
He doesn't look like an "Ellen", though.
So it's his wife's.
Old May 11 2013, 10:37 AM   #175
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Interesting read about the VFX of Iron Man 3.

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/C...ial/iron_man_3

Apparently they don't need to worry about RDJ not signing up for a 4th film, since they used a body double and digital replacements in IM3 most of the time anyways.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 03:40 PM   #176
ATimson
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Apparently they don't need to worry about RDJ not signing up for a 4th film, since they used a body double and digital replacements in IM3 most of the time anyways.
Well, you still have to pay RDJ for the voice. Then it's just a question of which is cheaper: paying RDJ to be on-set, or paying the VFX vendors for all that work.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 04:56 PM   #177
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Well, you still have to pay RDJ for the voice. Then it's just a question of which is cheaper: paying RDJ to be on-set, or paying the VFX vendors for all that work.
Since VFX people are exploited like slaves and happy with it, it's cheaper.

The most interesting thing about the article is that the schedule of summer blockbusters is so extremely tight that they don't even account for possible injuries of their main actors. Which is incredibly stupid considering that their main actors are doing stunts themselves. And then they end up torturing the VFX houses, who comply with everything because otherwise they go bankrupt. But then again most of them also go bankrupt when the film is a success.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 05:03 PM   #178
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

I don't see how it's cheaper. If RDJ is billed as the star, he will still get his $40 million or whatever, even if most or all of his appearance is VFX.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:21 AM   #179
JD
Admiral

It's scary how good the face replacement technique is getting, because I never once suspected that it was going on.
Old May 12 2013, 03:01 PM   #180
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
It's a fine, entertaining movie, with some solid acting from pretty much everyone.

Iron Man 3 is a strange movie, though, a Frankenstein monster which seems to be made of the best parts of several different action films which don't quite fit together: superhero movies, spy movies, buddy cop movies, comedies, and I think it's only through the magic of Robert Downey Jr. performance that the whole thing holds together.
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, this weekend.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote