New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 9 2013, 04:58 PM   #31
indranee
Vice Admiral

Re: The 3D-quality

Yeah, I'm leaning toward 2D now... we shall see how the rest of the family feels come the 17th. We aren't doing the midnight show this time.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 11:10 PM   #32
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Matt S wrote: View Post
3D is shite, with very few exceptions. Hate a dark ass screen!!
Maybe it's your eyes? I haven't noticed 3D films being darker than other films.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 11:43 PM   #33
beamMe
Fleet Captain

I had no problems with the 3D in this film or any I've seen in 3D.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 12:37 AM   #34
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I saw it in 3D and felt they did a good job with it. There are some nice effects that look great in 3D and it didn't have the bugs Avatar had for me, namely structures (e.g. furniture) being cut off and thus looking weird or 3D when it should be 2D (e.g. the picture in the locker). Obviously, you can't completely avoid the first problem but it wasn't so blatant and I only noticed it once.

ETA:
I saw both those movies in real 3D. I can't speak to the differences between the various versions.
Old May 10 2013, 01:01 AM   #35
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I saw it in 3D and felt they did a good job with it. There are some nice effects that look great in 3D and it didn't have the bugs Avatar had for me, namely structures (e.g. furniture) being cut off and thus looking weird or 3D when it should be 2D (e.g. the picture in the locker). Obviously, you can't completely avoid the first problem but it wasn't so blatant and I only noticed it once.

ETA:
I saw both those movies in real 3D. I can't speak to the differences between the various versions.
My boyfriend described the 3D-effect as very natural/real (as real as you can get with this stuff) compared to the effect depicted in the Jurassic Park 3D trailer before the movie, which he described as cardboard cutouts placed in front of each other.
Old May 10 2013, 02:39 AM   #36
donners22
Commodore

I'm not a fan of 3D in movies at all, but it was done really well here. I saw Ghost Rider 2 in 3D (not by choice) and it was awful - maybe a bit of extra depth to a few scenes, but virtually no difference to seeing it normally.

There was a huge difference in this, and it looked bloody spectacular while not constantly throwing things in your face. Just little things like ash floating around looked great, and the first warp effect was simply beautiful.

The only bit which bugged me was a bar scene where there were some really blurry objects at the 'front', which was distracting.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 06:53 AM   #37
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Matt S wrote: View Post
3D is shite, with very few exceptions. Hate a dark ass screen!!
Maybe it's your eyes? I haven't noticed 3D films being darker than other films.
The industry standard for theatrical projection is supposed to be around 14 foot-lamberts. Not all cinemas measure up, but the big failing is with 3D projection systems, which come in at around 4 foot-lamberts. Do the math.

IMAX systems offset some loss by using dual projection, which gets that a little better, but it is also covering a larger screen area, so it isn't a huge gain.

Until laser projection and enhanced 4k (something with decent contrast) can be delivered, 3D is going to remain something seen through a glass pretty darn darkly, which kinda runs counter to what a lot of folks want when they see movies.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 11:16 AM   #38
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

it didn't have the bugs Avatar had for me, namely structures (e.g. furniture) being cut off and thus looking weird or 3D when it should be 2D (e.g. the picture in the locker).
Ummm, if "Avatar" was filmed with 3D cameras, how did a picture in a locker go 3D? Unless it was 3D to start with?

beamMe wrote: View Post
My boyfriend described the 3D-effect as very natural/real (as real as you can get with this stuff) compared to the effect depicted in the Jurassic Park 3D trailer before the movie, which he described as cardboard cutouts placed in front of each other.
Agreed! I had the same reaction!

trevanian wrote: View Post
3D is going to remain something seen through a glass pretty darn darkly...
Well, I accidentally left home wearing prescription sunglasses on a really hot afternoon when ST VI had an invitation-only sneak preview. No chance to return home, so saw the whole thing through tinted lenses. Without really noticing a difference.

But honestly, would a 2D STiD have an even brighter bridge and corridors than in 3D?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 11:47 AM   #39
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Well, I accidentally left home wearing prescription sunglasses on a really hot afternoon when ST VI had an invitation-only sneak preview. No chance to return home, so saw the whole thing through tinted lenses. Without really noticing a difference.

But honestly, would a 2D STiD have an even brighter bridge and corridors than in 3D?
Isn't the simplest explanation that the slight darkening cause by the glasses is compensated by a slightly brighter projected image?

If not, people are better protected against those blinding lens-flares.
Old May 10 2013, 12:05 PM   #40
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I wan't impressed by the 3D it added very little, the closing credits were the only thing I thought looked good in 3D the rest was meh.

And yes the bar scene was horrible in 3D
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 12:28 PM   #41
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Gojira wrote: View Post
I am almost completely blind in one eye so it is always 2D for me.
My husband is legally blind in one eye but can see shapes.
He can see modern 3D films.
He thought STID in 3D IMAX was the best 3D film he ever saw. My teenage son thought the 3D in STID was better than the 'Hobbit'.
They of course were sitting in the best seats in the the cinema while I was sitting to the left of screen.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 04:18 PM   #42
trevanian
Rear Admiral

it didn't have the bugs Avatar had for me, namely structures (e.g. furniture) being cut off and thus looking weird or 3D when it should be 2D (e.g. the picture in the locker).
Ummm, if "Avatar" was filmed with 3D cameras, how did a picture in a locker go 3D? Unless it was 3D to start with?

Agreed! I had the same reaction!

Put simply, yes. And if you want genuine brightness on-screen (not just glare, which is how I'd typify the trek09's abovedeck interiors), I'd say ALTERED STATES in a good theater during the tank explosion sequence is THE example ... Jordan Cronenworth's cinematography (film just before he did BLADE RUNNER, at the top of his always-exemplary game) seems to exceed what is possible in terms of luminosity, even going well beyond CE3K.

for TUC, if I'd seen it with sunglasses everything except the explosions would have gone unseen ... the Kirk/McCoy bunkbed scene was just grey-black darkness on the terrible 70mm print shown in San Jose, CA ... it was like a bad drive-in movie, no image at all.
Old May 10 2013, 04:21 PM   #43
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Isn't the simplest explanation that the slight darkening cause by the glasses is compensated by a slightly brighter projected image? )
Feel free to do your own homework on this. There is plenty of information online that is reliable as to what projectors put out and that the glasses are only a factor in all this, not the main issue. Xenon sources will be more of a factor in compensating, but then you're still sacrificing image quality in the form of contrast, just getting a brighter less detailed image.
Old May 10 2013, 04:28 PM   #44
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Never notice the darkening unless I remove the glasses during the film. But why would I do that?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 05:00 PM   #45
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Isn't the simplest explanation that the slight darkening cause by the glasses is compensated by a slightly brighter projected image? )
Feel free to do your own homework on this. There is plenty of information online that is reliable as to what projectors put out and that the glasses are only a factor in all this, not the main issue. Xenon sources will be more of a factor in compensating, but then you're still sacrificing image quality in the form of contrast, just getting a brighter less detailed image.
Suppose I don't really care.

And since you've told us that you haven't watched a modern 3D-movie in the cinema, your opinion of the image quality mean absolutely nothing to me.