Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 9 2013, 05:36 AM   #16
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Warners to reboot "Dungeons & Dragons" movie

They're not really rebooting it, are they? They're just thinking of using the D&D brand for a different movie. There's not much to D&D anyway, it's just vanilla fantasy.
Old May 9 2013, 05:55 AM   #17
Skywalker
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
They're not really rebooting it, are they? They're just thinking of using the D&D brand for a different movie. There's not much to D&D anyway, it's just vanilla fantasy.
Everybody uses the "reboot" term incorrectly these days. It's just taking the name and putting it on a new movie.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Well, unless they use the 80s cartoon as a basis and really do try to go for the Harry Potter family-friendly crowds.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:58 AM   #19
billcosby
Commodore

Fuck the tired, straight up fantasy angle. The only way for this to be a critical and commercial success is with genuine subterfuge on the part of the actual D&D world.

I envision it as a group of D&D nerds, back in the 70s when it was a brand new thing, fighting monsters in the family rec room. The style would change to CG for the fight scenes. But the dudes fighting would be be these pimply, bespectacled teenagers who are completely kicking ass, etc. in their game. All the school girls they have crushes on would be maidens to save in their game.

It would be perfect for Wes Anderson. I think it would be hilarious and awesome.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:06 AM   #20
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

This is what they need to do.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 04:08 PM   #21
mos6507
Captain

The pantheon of races and monsters in D&D makes for a great setting for stories. That's how you had worlds like Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms and novels based on this stuff. Or planar travel and spelljammers. So much material. There's no reason you can't have good movies placed in these worlds.
Old May 9 2013, 04:30 PM   #22
Theonethatis
Commander

Dragonlance please?
Theonethatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:39 PM   #23
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

They already made a Dragonlance movie. Sort of.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:55 PM   #24
Davros
Fleet Admiral

They could take this direction for a D&D movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYnWwcA12Q
Old May 9 2013, 11:40 PM   #25
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I wasn't aware there was anything to reboot in the first place.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
It looks like Harry Potter, and they want to keep that audience buying stuff from Warners.
sojourner wrote: View Post
It should look like Lord of the Rings and try to keep that audience buying stuff.
Both HP and LOTR (you may disagree on the first or second) actually have a story considered compelling by the general audience. I wasn't aware Dungeons and Dragons had that. I thought it was mostly guidebooks.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 11:50 PM   #26
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Nah, they need to redo this:

Except, you know, half the kids would die. And it would not be as pedantic as "Timeline". :P

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 12:02 AM   #27
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Both HP and LOTR (you may disagree on the first or second) actually have a story considered compelling by the general audience. I wasn't aware Dungeons and Dragons had that. I thought it was mostly guidebooks.
There are a ton of D&D novels, including some by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman that are particularly popular and well-regarded, although whether they're used as source material remains to be seen.

Edited to add: There's a legal battle brewing over the D&D film rights between WB and Universal/Hasbro. You can read the story here.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; May 10 2013 at 03:17 AM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 10:50 AM   #28
Kegg
Rear Admiral

My first thought was this was natural competition for Duncan Jones' Warcraft movie. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out - and tying it to LOTR and Harry Potter is a bit more relevant the nine billion superhero movies that sprout every time I turn my back.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
They're just thinking of using the D&D brand for a different movie. There's not much to D&D anyway, it's just vanilla fantasy.
D&D's license covers dozens of different settings, including pretty much any major variety of fantasy one would care to name.

Their most popular setting - Forgotten Realms - is defined as the most vanilla, though, and is the most likely locale for a film.
Old May 10 2013, 11:15 AM   #29
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Kegg wrote: View Post
D&D's license covers dozens of different settings, including pretty much any major variety of fantasy one would care to name.

Their most popular setting - Forgotten Realms - is defined as the most vanilla, though, and is the most likely locale for a film.
I've been DMing D&D for more than 25 years so I'm aware of the minutia involved. I'm working under the assumption that a D&D movie, just like the terrible one with Jeremy Irons, would just be a D&D movie, and not a Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Eberron movie or what have you. And the generic D&D setting, what 4e called "points of light" is as vanilla as it gets.
Old May 10 2013, 02:21 PM   #30
Kytee
Commander

Dragonlance would get my vote for sure I grew up on those novels and have always had a soft sport for the war of the lance story line. Heck, imo the dwarven nations or evlen nations triolgys would be good movies too, but that opinion is probably not wide spread.
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote