RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,576
Posts: 5,514,614
Members: 25,154
Currently online: 503
Newest member: MC1367

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 9 2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Germany
Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

Additional SPOILER space because I'm a nice guy...








So, what exactly was the idea behind those torpedoes again?

They were supposed to be those super-WMDs, and yet its creator thought it wise to hide his cryogenically frozen friends in them...? Where's the logic in that? Did I miss anything?
__________________
The Andorian Mining Consortium runs from no one!
-- Shran
Cid Highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Phily B
Fleet Captain
 
Phily B's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

Yeah, I'm slightly confused about why they were inside.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:54 PM   #3
anotherdemon
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
anotherdemon's Avatar
 
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

Spoilers:




He was trying to smuggle out his buddies, and that was probably the best way he could do it. He probably had more rein when tinkering with weapons and whatnot.

The weapons themselves were long range warp missiles, so he could technically have fired them off with inert warheads and picked them up later as one plan.
anotherdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Phily B
Fleet Captain
 
Phily B's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

I kinda saw it that way and the installation he destroyed at the start was where they were supposed to be stored, presumably a S31 facility.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Germany
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

Oh, well - I think this is a needlessly convoluted way of bringing the cryo-buddies into play. Come to think of it, these bits where the outcome (the villain needs to care about some weapon) leads to some crazy, prior story detail (so he must have put his friends in there) are what took me out of the story during this movie at different points.
__________________
The Andorian Mining Consortium runs from no one!
-- Shran
Cid Highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Count Zero
Decidedly something
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

I thought that Khan's plan did make sense but he obviosuly got interrupted.

What I was unclear on (and still am) is whether Admiral Marcus knew what was inside the torpedoes and if so why he did bring them onboard the Enterprise. After all, the torpedos would have been kind of useless since they lack a propulsion system of their own.
But then again, his plan seems to have been to strand the Enterprise within Klingon space and cause a war, with the Enterprise (including the evidence of his discovery of the Augments and his collaboration with Khan) being destroyed at the start of the conflict.

It's as good a reason as any to watch the movie again.
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:30 PM   #7
anotherdemon
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
anotherdemon's Avatar
 
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

Spoilers (big, big ones):






No, he didn't appear to know that the torpedoes weren't what he said they were.

Remember he wanted Enterprise to park in the Neutral Zone and hit the target from there with the implication that the origin of the weapons wouldn't be discovered, or they wouldn't be an overt "Federation missiles are raining down on us" like a starship in system firing conventional weapons would do (which gives Kirk and all the desire to do it). He didn't seem to want to start a war just yet, rather build tensions up so as Starfleet could be made more and more militarized and capable.
anotherdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:40 PM   #8
anotherdemon
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
anotherdemon's Avatar
 
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

O, and I must say, I really got a Wing Commander IV feeling when watching it. Similar story in many ways.
anotherdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:20 PM   #9
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I thought that Khan's plan did make sense but he obviosuly got interrupted.

What I was unclear on (and still am) is whether Admiral Marcus knew what was inside the torpedoes and if so why he did bring them onboard the Enterprise. After all, the torpedos would have been kind of useless since they lack a propulsion system of their own.
But then again, his plan seems to have been to strand the Enterprise within Klingon space and cause a war, with the Enterprise (including the evidence of his discovery of the Augments and his collaboration with Khan) being destroyed at the start of the conflict.

It's as good a reason as any to watch the movie again.
Marcus didn't know.

But you should still see the movie again. I will, on Sunday
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Count Zero
Decidedly something
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

Oh, I will. I think I watched the last one three times in the cinema.

So, my memory is a bit hazy but Kirk did reveal to Marcus that there were Augments inside of the torpedoes, didn't he? I don't remember Marcus looking surprised by this revelation. But yeah, I'll have to watch it again.
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Phily B
Fleet Captain
 
Phily B's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

I actually thought maybe Marcus' plan was to send the torpedoes to Kronos and cause havoc on the Klingon homeworld.

But that didn't work out! Especially since they did appear to be highly volatile.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:34 PM   #12
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Oh, I will. I think I watched the last one three times in the cinema.

So, my memory is a bit hazy but Kirk did reveal to Marcus that there were Augments inside of the torpedoes, didn't he? I don't remember Marcus looking surprised by this revelation. But yeah, I'll have to watch it again.
I don't really remember, but I think Kirk told him, yes.
But I also don't think the revelation that Khan tried to get himself and his people out of Marcus' grasp came as much of a shock to the good admiral.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:42 PM   #13
anotherdemon
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
anotherdemon's Avatar
 
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

Super spoilers, obviously:



That's one thought that I had but forgot about. They could create quite a lot of destruction, though they very well may have just jacked the closest vessel and got out of there; it doesn't seem like "he" cared about the Federation other than wanting to get back at intelligence.

Marcus would have known that Khan would be coming back to some extent, and giving him all of his buddies would increase the threat he poses by...a hell of a lot.

I think Marcus really thought Kirk would follow orders now and launch without hesitation (Pike and leading up to it all). Said missiles' original payload very well may have been quite destructive. Knocking out the Klingons' homeworld in addition to Khan would be a win-win.
anotherdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:59 PM   #14
Count Zero
Decidedly something
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

I don't think anyone can survive that impact inside a torpedo. If the torpedoes had been fired and actually crashed on Kronos the people inside would have died. That's why I entertained the idea of Admiral Marcus trying to get rid of the evidence that way.
But I'm not sure how far the torpedoes would have gotten without propulsion systems so if they had been fired they might have floated around in space and there would have been the risk of the Enterprise crew investigating the malfunction and discovering the Augments inside.
Which is why Admiral Marcus would have to make sure that the Enterprise gets destroyed by the Klingons. To me, the warp core malfunction pointed in that direction.

But it's simpler to assume the Admiral didn't know about Khan's crew inside the torpedoes.


beamMe wrote: View Post
I don't really remember, but I think Kirk told him, yes.
But I also don't think the revelation that Khan tried to get himself and his people out of Marcus' grasp came as much of a shock to the good admiral.
True. But it would have been interesting if this aspect had been played out more. I felt that 'lack of information' or 'misinformation' was kind of a theme in this movie. There were several pivotal moments in the storyline where this played a role. If Kirk hadn't told Khan the exact number of torpedoes how would he have proceeded? If he had known that his crew was still alive and aboard Enteprise would Khan have crashed the Vengeance on Earth? How would Spock have acted if old Spock hadn't told him whatever it was he told him? And so on.
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Phily B
Fleet Captain
 
Phily B's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: Torpedoes (XII spoilers)

anotherdemon wrote: View Post
Super spoilers, obviously:



That's one thought that I had but forgot about. They could create quite a lot of destruction, though they very well may have just jacked the closest vessel and got out of there; it doesn't seem like "he" cared about the Federation other than wanting to get back at intelligence.

Marcus would have known that Khan would be coming back to some extent, and giving him all of his buddies would increase the threat he poses by...a hell of a lot.

I think Marcus really thought Kirk would follow orders now and launch without hesitation (Pike and leading up to it all). Said missiles' original payload very well may have been quite destructive. Knocking out the Klingons' homeworld in addition to Khan would be a win-win.
Yeah, he probably underestimated Kirk. I think it was Marcus who allowed him to take him as first officer and then gave him his command back, presumably cause he thought Kirk would kill Khan and fire ze missiles without hesitation.

Is it possible that Marcus/S31/whoever made the missiles around them as blackmail?
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.