Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 9 2013, 02:16 PM   #31
anh165
Commander

Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

Going by how badly written, badly acted and badly conceived most of the recent trek movies prior to XI are to go by, I wouldn't want anyone to replace JJ Abrams right now.

Last edited by anh165; May 9 2013 at 03:10 PM.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 02:34 PM   #32
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^You do realize the only "recent" Trek movies are Trek XI and STID, right? XI's immediate predecessor is Nemesis which was released over a decade ago, so isn't really all that recent.
Old May 9 2013, 03:04 PM   #33
beamMe
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Obviously a return to the purity of the Prime Universe. I don't care if it's not commercially viable, it's Star Trek.
You forgot to put [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] around your post.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 03:10 PM   #34
anh165
Commander

^^You do realize the only "recent" Trek movies are Trek XI and STID, right? XI's immediate predecessor is Nemesis which was released over a decade ago, so isn't really all that recent.
Fixed, universe is at peace now.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 03:21 PM   #35
mos6507
Captain

I think rebooting a franchise with so much history behind it is a bad idea.

What they did with Doctor Who was a better approach. I didn't like a lot of the RTJ Doctor Who, but I liked the _approach_ of not jettisoning the history, but just making it more modern and slicker. The new Doctor Who has production values that shame the final seasons of classic Doctor Who, but at the same time, they weren't afraid to directly link to the past, like by bringing back Sarah Jane. That's what the movie-era did to TOS, and TNG did after that. It's time for a sort of next-next-generation of post-Nemesis that simply does away with all of the Berman/Braga-isms (the wallpaper music, endless technobabble, downplayed drama, etc...).
Old May 9 2013, 03:26 PM   #36
trevanian
Rear Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
SheliakBob wrote: View Post
Oh hell. I did this long ago on another Trek forum. Not going to rehash the whole thing here. The short form for my pitch:

TNG film. ...
Stopped reading there.
This "pitch" is dead on arrival.
Then you missed the Rogan as Mudd idea, which by itself is pretty damned good, and is the one thing I'd carry away from it along with the 'exploration' angle.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 04:40 PM   #37
beamMe
Fleet Captain

mos6507 wrote: View Post

What they did with Doctor Who was a better approach. I didn't like a lot of the RTJ Doctor Who, but I liked the _approach_ of not jettisoning the history, but just making it more modern and slicker. The new Doctor Who has production values that shame the final seasons of classic Doctor Who, but at the same time, they weren't afraid to directly link to the past, like by bringing back Sarah Jane. That's what the movie-era did to TOS, and TNG did after that. It's time for a sort of next-next-generation of post-Nemesis that simply does away with all of the Berman/Braga-isms (the wallpaper music, endless technobabble, downplayed drama, etc...).
Doctor Who has the advantage of being a show about a time traveller who can change at the time of death into another body/personality. That show has it's own reset/reboot-button as an integral part of storytelling.
They didn't have to chuck out anything, because they could simply ignore the old stuff or bring it all back changed while still having the same main character, the Doctor.

Star Trek is a different beast altogether. Kirk, Spock, McCoy are the iconic characters of Star Trek. As fans we may like all the others too but they all stand in the shadows of those original characters.
To get back to those icons, the creators of this new Star Trek had to throw out all - well, not all - the old stuff.
For the fans, they did their reboot in the softest way possible; the old stuff is still there, just not relevant to this updated version.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:11 PM   #38
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Obviously a return to the purity of the Prime Universe. I don't care if it's not commercially viable, it's Star Trek.
IMO, no it isn't.

STAR TREK is Star Trek. The Berman-era "spinoffs" were mostly created by others and are no closer to Star Trek than the cartoon series SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THE 22ND CENTURY was to Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. Whether or not the spinoffs were good or bad, they were someone else's take on Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek; which is perfectly valid, but it doesn't make them any more or less "pure" Star Trek than a good Trek reboot would be. Unless, of course, your enjoyment of a piece of fiction is entirely dependent upon the fantasy that it's somehow real -- in which case, maybe it's time to reassess why you watch Star Trek in the first place. (I'm speaking rhetorically, not necessarily about you specifically.)
Old May 9 2013, 06:08 PM   #39
indranee
Vice Admiral

And after the disaster that was ENT (not in terms of quality.... I'm talking, say, Nielsen's), Trek was pretty much on life support.

I look at it this way: I might not like everything about this movie. But at least my 12-year old niece is watching TAS, TOS, heck even DS9 because of JJTrek. She's already seen ALL of the TOS and TNG movies and calls herself a Trekkie and tells me plenty of her friends do, too.

Through the last thirty years, I've been through times when if someone mentioned to people that I was a Trekkie, I would get "WTF is wrong with her?!" looks. I'm not kidding.

Don't get those any more. I call that a win.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:09 PM   #40
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

anh165 wrote: View Post
Going by how badly written, badly acted and badly conceived most of the recent trek movies prior to XI are to go by, I wouldn't want anyone to replace JJ Abrams right now.
But that's not what this thread is about, is it?

Nor is this, really - it's just revisiting the same gripes already aired elsewhere.
Old May 9 2013, 06:21 PM   #41
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

But Abrams didn't "jettison" anything.
Old May 9 2013, 11:28 PM   #42
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
Paramount has just hired you, due to your intense hatred of lens flares and JJ Abrams decision making, to replace JJ Abrams as head of the new Star Trek to follow Into Darkness.

You are free to reboot the series with whomever you feel is fit to play the roles of Kirk and Spock, or you can stick with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto. But, Paramount wants you to post your casting ideas along with your plot synopsis.

Let's hear it! You're sick of Abrams, Kurtzman, Orci and Lindelof, let's hear YOUR ideas! You claim you can do better, Paramount is listening! Don't be shy!
I see your challenge and raise you the members of this BBS. From what I have seen and read here in this BBS, there is sufficient talent right here to best JJ and the Bad Robot group.

I would take the franchise in yet a third direction, as illustrated by, Madkoifish (my choice for art director). A new crew and ships based roughly on the work of Patrick O'Brian... Since one of Roddenberry's inspirations was Horatio Hornblower.

You get the picture and direction I would go...

Regards,
Chuck
Old May 10 2013, 03:38 AM   #43
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

But Abrams didn't "jettison" anything.
I think those of us who have been making that point for the last four years have gotten the word out. It's just that some people aren't listening.
Old May 10 2013, 04:26 AM   #44
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Set Harth wrote: View Post
It's just that some people aren't listening.
In which case there's no real point in answering them, is there?
Old May 10 2013, 04:52 AM   #45
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

CDR6 wrote: View Post
I see your challenge and raise you the members of this BBS. From what I have seen and read here in this BBS, there is sufficient talent right here to best JJ and the Bad Robot group.
Translation: I want to return to the Prime Universe and "cerebral exploration."

Bull. All of this is utter bull, you people want Trek movies to be something they never were.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote