Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 8 2013, 11:52 PM   #5911
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

This:
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
a good movie I'd watch again.
is what makes this:
I still think Man of steel will suck
Look foolish.
Old May 9 2013, 12:08 AM   #5912
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
This:
a good movie I'd watch again.
is what makes this:
I still think Man of steel will suck
Look foolish.
Well, regardless of the fact that I acknowledge that Nolan can make a good movie, MoS still looks bad. The problems I could see about it just from videos are still there, like wandering Clark and Krypton getting way more than the 5 minutes it deserves. Seriously, Jor-El should get maybe 10 lines before Clark is off to Earth, not counting narration, but it practically looks like its own plot just because of what we've seen in trailers/TV spots. I also think its going to be too depressing, especially since every single trailer and TV spot makes Clark look like the most depressed superhero ever. It just still looks like a bad movie. Even though I will admit it has a chance of being good, I'm not saying its a good chance. Maybe a 25% chance of not sucking, if I'm being generous. Thats better than the 0% chance I would have given it before, but I'm still not feeling positive about this movie, just slightly less negative.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:30 AM   #5913
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, "good" and "bad" movies are obviously subjective terms. You want certain things out of this movie that you're not seeing in the trailers. That's fine; doesn't mean the movie is bad. Just means you don't like it.

For me, this is the first time ever that I have had any interest in seeing a Superman movie, and it's specifically because it looks so different than what I have come to expect from the character.
Old May 9 2013, 01:33 AM   #5914
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Didn't the Byrne/Post Crisis Superman do some wandering before donning the cape? I think he and Bruce Wayne even "wandered" into the same place once.

Yup. Ma Kent even kept a scrapbook of disasters that didn't quite happen--Clark acting as a guardian angel even pre-Superman. A scrapbook that caused some trouble when Lex Luthor came sniffing into the connection between Superman and Clark.
Ugh. I really like John Byrne, but his Superman origin seems like something I wouldn't be interested in. I'll stick to his Marvel work.
You're a Superman fan and a comic fan, but have never read Byrne's run? Byrne's run is pretty much the definitive version for the latter half of the 20th Century and is still influencing Superman today.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:38 AM   #5915
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

It amazes me how much effort some will invest in discussing a movie that they claim to have no interest in seeing....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:44 PM   #5916
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

This is the first Superman film where actually something happens with believable visual effects.

Superman Returns already had believable effects, but nothing exciting happened. All we got was Superman lifting some heavy stuff (he lifts a shuttle, then he carries a plane, then he lifts a car, then he lifts some debris and the Daily Planet globe, then he lifts a ship, then he gets beaten the crap out of, then he lifts an island, and that's it), and a promise that the sequel would be about real action with Superman finally throwing some punches.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:08 PM   #5917
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I don't know. The original films were limited by what they did at the time, but it was clear that they worked so damn hard, and many of the most important shots look great. I really liked shots as to when two of the super villains lift up a bus together. Looks great. When Superman pushes a bus up back to the bridge in the first film it holds up. Overall, the shot where he uses his own body to fix a gap in the train tracks is still effective. The shot where he takes off after the helicopter to save Lois is still effective. Maybe these shots are rougher around the edges, but they are also filled with energy and effective. so much CGI stuff might look better, but it can often feel more synthetic.
Old May 9 2013, 05:46 PM   #5918
sojourner
Admiral

Sometimes CGI and practical effects are like the difference between a studio recording of a band and a live performance. One may be more precise but it lacks the energy of the other.
Old May 9 2013, 06:30 PM   #5919
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Mike Farley wrote: View Post

Yup. Ma Kent even kept a scrapbook of disasters that didn't quite happen--Clark acting as a guardian angel even pre-Superman. A scrapbook that caused some trouble when Lex Luthor came sniffing into the connection between Superman and Clark.
Ugh. I really like John Byrne, but his Superman origin seems like something I wouldn't be interested in. I'll stick to his Marvel work.
You're a Superman fan and a comic fan, but have never read Byrne's run? Byrne's run is pretty much the definitive version for the latter half of the 20th Century and is still influencing Superman today.
I like Superman, but of all the big superheroes, he's probably the one whose comics I've read the least, atleast of his solo stuff. I've read a lot of him in JLA and stuff like that. Of the solo stuff, I've read some Golden age stories, individual stories like For the Man Who Has Everything (which is great), Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Whats So Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way, some silver age stories in collections and other stuff like that. The problem is that, for more modern stuff, the New Krypton arc stopped me from being able to get into superman because it required so much reading (it was around this time that I started to be able to get more access to comics), so by the time I managed to read some of his newer pre reboot stuff, it was JMS's horrible Grounded arc. Thats not to say I haven't read modern stuff, like All Star superman and some of the Superman/Batman series, but he's just been the hardest hero to get into from a newer comic perspective. I did watch all of Superman TAS, JL/JLU, and the various DC Animated movie, and thats more where I get what I consider the best version of Superman from (or atleast the version I enjoy the most). I've read one issue of Byrne's Man of Steel (issue #2, that was in The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told TPB I got) and it was ok, although I don't like the fat lex stuff very much. I like that he's a buisness man, but from what I've read of fat lex, he's just not enough of a scientist for me. From what I've heard of Byrne's Superman stuff in this topic, it doesn't sound like something i'd like very much.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:58 PM   #5920
davejames
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
This is the first Superman film where actually something happens with believable visual effects.

Superman Returns already had believable effects, but nothing exciting happened. All we got was Superman lifting some heavy stuff (he lifts a shuttle, then he carries a plane, then he lifts a car, then he lifts some debris and the Daily Planet globe, then he lifts a ship, then he gets beaten the crap out of, then he lifts an island, and that's it), and a promise that the sequel would be about real action with Superman finally throwing some punches.
I loved SR, but I have to agree it was awfully light on action for a Superman movie. The airplane rescue and yacht rescue were both fantastic of course, but that just isn't nearly enough for a modern day superhero movie.

I just hope the action and battles in this movie don't rely too much on a clearly CG Superman. I get that he needs to move faster than the average person, but if everything he does looks like it was animated in a computer, it's going to be awfully hard to get emotionally involved in any of it.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:23 PM   #5921
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Here's the behind the scenes video for the "Soldier of Steel" spot that will play in theatres and then the spot itself:

Old May 9 2013, 10:41 PM   #5922
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wow, some cool new scenes in there. Although one of them (involving Lois) definitely looked like it spoiled the end of the movie a bit...
Old May 9 2013, 10:49 PM   #5923
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Next month can't come fast enough.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 11:05 PM   #5924
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Wow, some cool new scenes in there. Although one of them (involving Lois) definitely looked like it spoiled the end of the movie a bit...
Do you mean the shot where he is carrying her?

That is not unusual for a Superman flick
Old May 10 2013, 12:58 AM   #5925
davejames
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Do you mean the shot where he is carrying her?

That is not unusual for a Superman flick
True, but it still looked like whatever big explody thing they were flying away from comes from the end of the movie (since that's usually when lots of stuff tends to explode. )