TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9 2013, 11:40 AM   #1231
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

beamMe wrote: View Post
A strong, charismatic, intelligent, sexy man with a superiority-complex and a tendency to use violence - yes, nothing like Khan at all.
Those attributes could be applied to James Bond as well. And I was more talking about how it worked as a whole. It's just as with the main characters compared to their original counterparts, some work and some don't.

Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura, Pike ... they were all very convincing. But Scotty and Chekov? No way! The same goes for Cumberbatch. I really wish they had left Khan alone and made Cumberbatch play somebody - anybody - else.
Old May 9 2013, 11:42 AM   #1232
stargirl
Fleet Captain

StarMan wrote: View Post
mattman8907 wrote: View Post
just out of curiosity how long did it take for the enterprise to be repaired after it go it's fanny whooped by the vengeance?
After the dust settled we cut to Kirk addressing an audience gathered for the rechristening of The Enterprise.

Anyway, one or two musings in no particular order (SPOILERS!):

Ok, so if you're reading these spoilers, there's a good chance you know Kirk 'dies' when he sacrifices himself to fix the power grid of the ship. It was just too much. The sequence really pulled me out of the movie with it's self-referential nature and the lines lifted from TWOK. Kirk and Spock had a bit of back and forth, before it concluded with (or to the effect of):

Kirk: "I saved you because I'd miss you." (referring to Spock's close call with a Volcano).

*Kirk dies*

and then this ... I was gobsmacked...

*Spock looks upsets... then a wave of fury hits him...*

Spock: "KHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!!!"

*cut to shot of The Vengeance careening past the now stable Enterprise towards San Francisco.*

I just saw the movie tonight, and I do have a lot of thoughts which I'm way too tired to post here mostly, but the one thing that I'm left with is EXACTLY what you just said StarMan- that whole last section, it just pulled me right out of the movie with all its WoK references/quotes/re-enacting. I get they were trying to pay homage, I guess, but at some point my brain just went 'ENOUGH I GET IT' and the 'KHAAAAAAAAN' really sealed it. And I came home and I've started rewatching the actual Wrath of Khan and I just... I feel like if they were going to basically remake such a brilliant movie there should have been much more depth, and meaning to it?

But overall, I liked the acting (particularly Benedict's, although yes I'm one of those people incredibly, incredibly disappointed that they whitewashed Khan, sigh). I didn't mind the plot but it was so choppy and there was so much there relying on character relationships that at this point just wouldn't be as deep as they are? or at least we haven't seen why they would be? WoK worked because it had the years of the series, plus a movie, plus the implied decades spent together with these people... overall, even though I liked the movie and think I probably just could never dislike anything 'Star Trek' at this point, it felt like a shallow re-do of Wrath of Khan D: which makes me sad and honestly I really do expect better of Star Trek than whitewashing, no matter how much I love Benedict Cumberbatch
Having said all that I still voted the movie as a 'B' because I love seeing 'Star Trek' on the big screen no matter what, I loved the cast and the acting, and I just felt - when I could ignore the problems my brain kept trying to remind me of - that it was a fun, action-focused ride.
stargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:09 PM   #1233
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Those attributes could be applied to James Bond as well. And I was more talking about how it worked as a whole.
The character doesn't work for you, because you probably can't let go of your mental image of Montalban-as-Khan.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:23 PM   #1234
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

stargirl wrote: View Post
just out of curiosity how long did it take for the enterprise to be repaired after it go it's fanny whooped by the vengeance?
After the dust settled we cut to Kirk addressing an audience gathered for the rechristening of The Enterprise.

Ok, so if you're reading these spoilers, there's a good chance you know Kirk 'dies' when he sacrifices himself to fix the power grid of the ship. It was just too much. The sequence really pulled me out of the movie with it's self-referential nature and the lines lifted from TWOK. Kirk and Spock had a bit of back and forth, before it concluded with (or to the effect of):

Kirk: "I saved you because I'd miss you." (referring to Spock's close call with a Volcano).

*Kirk dies*

*cut to shot of The Vengeance careening past the now stable Enterprise towards San Francisco.*

I just saw the movie tonight, and I do have a lot of thoughts which I'm way too tired to post here mostly, but the one thing that I'm left with is EXACTLY what you just said StarMan- that whole last section, it just pulled me right out of the movie with all its WoK references/quotes/re-enacting. I get they were trying to pay homage, I guess, but at some point my brain just went 'ENOUGH I GET IT' and the 'KHAAAAAAAAN' really sealed it. And I came home and I've started rewatching the actual Wrath of Khan and I just... I feel like if they were going to basically remake such a brilliant movie there should have been much more depth, and meaning to it?

But overall, I liked the acting (particularly Benedict's, although yes I'm one of those people incredibly, incredibly disappointed that they whitewashed Khan, sigh). I didn't mind the plot but it was so choppy and there was so much there relying on character relationships that at this point just wouldn't be as deep as they are? or at least we haven't seen why they would be? WoK worked because it had the years of the series, plus a movie, plus the implied decades spent together with these people... overall, even though I liked the movie and think I probably just could never dislike anything 'Star Trek' at this point, it felt like a shallow re-do of Wrath of Khan D: which makes me sad and honestly I really do expect better of Star Trek than whitewashing, no matter how much I love Benedict Cumberbatch
Having said all that I still voted the movie as a 'B' because I love seeing 'Star Trek' on the big screen no matter what, I loved the cast and the acting, and I just felt - when I could ignore the problems my brain kept trying to remind me of - that it was a fun, action-focused ride.

Can you paraphrase Kirks speech at the end? Is it "Risk is our business" cool or "I once saw a gazelle learn to run" lame?
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:30 PM   #1235
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Chu'lak wrote: View Post
Can you paraphrase Kirks speech at the end? Is it "Risk is our business" cool or "I once saw a gazelle learn to run" lame?
It was more like "I learned something today ..."
Old May 9 2013, 12:33 PM   #1236
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

*Kirk dies*

Did they REALLY do that? Seriously? That sounds like a MAD TV sketch, especially the KHAAAAAN thing.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:37 PM   #1237
stargirl
Fleet Captain

Chu'lak wrote: View Post

Ahh, I'm terrible at remembering quotes straight after only seeing something once but - I didn't think it was too lame ? (definitely not 'gazelle' lame, lol)...
This is really spoilery so don't read if you don't want the final bit spoiled (even though I may be recalling it inaccurately):
What he said, from what I can remember, was basically: 'I've realised, when fighting evil/hate, we can become evil/hate. We should try to prevent that. Our friend and commander, Christopher Pike, once told me the speech [for something - a ship christening maybe?] and I'd like to read that now. [cut to a shot of the Enterprise] These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise, it's 5 year mission...' etc.

Idk, it was definitely a bit cheesy but hey, it had the star trek music and lovely shots of the enterprise and I forgave it everything because... I just really love star trek I guess haha. I don't think it was that bad overall (but I didn't realise it was something people had been complaining about! I guess I just found the previous ripped-straight-from-wok scenes (and the whitewashing) more noticeable and memorable as something to complain about)
Old May 9 2013, 12:38 PM   #1238
stargirl
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

*Kirk dies*

Did they REALLY do that? Seriously? That sounds like a MAD TV sketch, especially the KHAAAAAN thing.
yeah, they really did lol :/
Old May 9 2013, 12:50 PM   #1239
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

This sounds like a mocking of TWOK rather than a homage to it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:54 PM   #1240
donners22
Commodore

Just got back from seeing it.

Brief thoughts:
- Better than the last one, which I rather disliked.
- The 3D was used really effectively; not just tacked on, and not thrown at you.
- The bald guy from the bridge needs to be in the next film!
- Kirk made some damn stupid decisions (some thankfully circumvented by his crew, but they didn't reflect well on him) and still doesn't impress as a leader. Then again, Cumberbatch's demise was brought about by the most bloody obvious trick imaginable.
- There were some gaps in logic, liberties taken with time/distance and inconsistencies with canon, but then the same could be said for Wrath of Khan.
- Speaking of Wrath of Khan, that was the part which really bugged me. I was not sure whether to roll my eyes or burst out laughing when that particular scene at the end started and it just got worse - particularly when the cheat out of it was all too damned obvious. It took me completely out of the film.

Overall quite good, but the fanwank at the end dragged it down.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:02 PM   #1241
stargirl
Fleet Captain

I feel like they were intending to do a homage, but it kind of came off as a bit shallow and a bit of a cheap re-enactment?
I'm watching WoK right now, and Into Darkness just can't compare imo, so maybe I'm biased... but they literally quoted it several times, even beyond the ridiculously obvious "KHAAAAAAN" lol. (also the scene where Kirk is dying and they put their hands up on the glass, he doesn't say 'because I'd miss you' like StarMan mentioned, they actually say 'because I'm your friend' - obviously recalling back to WoK. and I mean, it's a nice scene between nuKirk and nuSpock and everything, but it just doesn't have the same meaning in this new universe), and idk - like I said in a previous post, to me it just doesn't work without those years of the crew being a family and building up a history.

I don't know, I mean I feel so strange about my own opinions to this movie - I definitely need to see it again I think... There are several things that really disappointed me as a fan of the show (whitewashing, recreating iconic scenes without the same meaning, making Chapel into a cheap fling, WHITEWASHING, taking away the history behind the Kirk/Spock Wrath of Khan scene), but still, I enjoyed it? I don't want to sound like I hated it... I just have sad feelings as someone that has looked forward to this for years, and has loved trek for my whole life :/ But it's good! and fun! honestly

Last edited by stargirl; May 9 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old May 9 2013, 01:04 PM   #1242
RAMA
Vice Admiral

http://moviehole.net/201364386star-t...-and-resonates

A lot of action films tend to drop off in quality towards the end, trying to make up for a tired story with explosions, but a real asset to this film is that it retains its tension throughout. While there are some fates you know can’t be messed with, the story never becomes boring. Funny and action packed enough for kids, scandal free for families, and with enough darkness to satisfy adults, this is a film that will entertain and resonate with most people.
Old May 9 2013, 01:05 PM   #1243
beamMe
Fleet Captain

You are, of course, wrong.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:16 PM   #1244
Mitty
Vice Admiral

View Mitty's Twitter Profile

Just saw it. I had avoided all spoilers (well, apart from Noel Clarke retweeted someone who said it was sad that his character died). I'm so glad I did, because I truly had no idea what was coming. I was also totally not expecting the Cameo, which just made me grin from ear to ear.
I loved it and it's the first time in years I've wanted to go back and see a film again at the Cinema rather than wait for it on DVD/Bluray.
Old May 9 2013, 01:19 PM   #1245
RAMA
Vice Admiral

http://staticmass.net/topfeature/sta...e-2013-review/

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/9BSa...-Darkness.html

This reviewer for the SPectator is not a trekkie:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/arts/cine...rkness-review/