Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 7 2013, 05:05 AM   #136
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

^Excellent advice, Bear Discovers Fire!
Old May 7 2013, 05:07 AM   #137
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Hey, long time no see. *raises beer* Da...Bearss!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:18 AM   #138
Kenbushway
Captain

Bears Discover Fire wrote: View Post
Okay, you asked for shopping advice.

First off, you need to shop Whole Foods like you need a hole in the head. Seriously, Whole Paycheck is for the rich and stupid. You can eat healthy at Kroger, possibly even moreso than Whole Foods because Kroger will have less process crap dressed up and marked up to look healthy.

Second, avoid the middle of the grocery store. The outer aisles and sections are where the fresh, unprocessed foods are.

Third, chicken is cheap, healthy and versatile. I buy whole chickens for like $4 & roast them buy rubbing fresh seasonal herbs, salt, pepper, paprika and crushed garlic on and under the skin, then wrapping the bird in cheesecloth soaked in olive oil before baking. From there, I make soups, stocks, sandwiches, broths etc out of it. I roast the carcass bones and boil them with fresh carrots, celery, onion and ginger to make chicken stock that I in turn use for soups and stews. Super simple and you get a ton of mileage out of it.

Shop seasonally. Buy fruits and vegetables that are in season in your area, and you will shop cheaper and healthier than buying frozen, canned or otherwise processed. The produce will taste better because it hasn't been picked unripe, sprayed with agents to fake ripe appearance and shipped up from the southern hemisphere. While the farmer's market is ideal, but not everyone has access to them. Farmer's markets are not necessarily the cheapest deal in town, either.

Do you have any ethnic markets? Those can be a great source of fresh, seasonal produce at cheap prices. I like to to go to them and pick stuff up I've never heard of, then Google recipes.

REJECT RACK. REJECT RACK. REJECT RACK. Or in the parlance of Kroger and its subsidiaries, MANAGER'S SPECIAL. Eagle eyes. Keep them peeled for those orange and yellow manager's special labels, particularly in the meat and seafood aisles. Buy fresh meats, poultry and seafood on manager's special, and PROMPTLY break it down and freeze it for later use. Also, the reject racks will often have stuff like bags of lentils, pearl barley, pastas etc.

Speaking of meat, switch from ground beef to ground turkey.

Switch from sour cream to nonfat Greek yogurt. They are almost identical in taste and texture.

Switch from cream cheese to neufatchel cheese. The latter is 1/3 less fattening, but otherwise indistinguishable. It's sold side-by-side.

Buy staples like flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cornmeal etc in bulk, and make your own breads and biscuits* instead of opting for canned biscuits or mixes.

*this assumes you have more time than money. Bread baking is an art that requires practice and a lot of time, but worth it. Sooooo worth it in cost and quality. Biscuits are much quicker and easier.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I don't have a whole foods close to me, its 40 minutes away and expensive (its called Henry's). Kroger is good for fresh fruit, plus they are expanding their organic section. My mom works at Costco, so I get a membership. I can easily buy a 50lb bag of flour. I do have to be careful. Our neighborhood was built fast and cheap (air conditioner to small for the house) so when its gets hot here (like currently) its impossible to bake anything. That is why I dusted and cleaned up an old crock pot we have. Missing a handle on it but it will still close. I've been really looking into slow cooker recipes. Recently found french bread dip recipe (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Sl...ip/Detail.aspx) that I've just got to try. Sorry I don't have any ethnic markets where I am in Ga currently. I buy Kroger brand products and we get all their deals through accounts I have with them. I get an email every week. Kroger doesn't have good deals on ground Turkey, you have to pay 7$ + for a very small container of ground Turkey. So I don't know if that transition is possible. Yeah some of recipes I currently have ask for creams and I am trying to look for lower cholesterol healthier forms but I don't know how stocked Kroger is on the extra. Oh I love bread, a bit to much though, borders on the un-healthy side. Do you have any advice with slow cookers? Could I switch completely from stove top cooking to crock pot?
Old May 9 2013, 06:40 AM   #139
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
Kroger doesn't have good deals on ground Turkey, you have to pay 7$ + for a very small container of ground Turkey. So I don't know if that transition is possible. [blah, blah, blah] Do you have any advice with slow cookers? Could I switch completely from stove top cooking to crock pot?
Aldi's has ground turkey in a 1 pound chub for about $1.79, so no excuse for not switching to ground turkey. They also have a weekly newsletter.

Google is your friend. When it comes to crock-pot cooking, internet searches are great. I get daily e-mails from Mr. Food. Many are not diabetic friendly, although they do have a section for that. They DO have many slow cooker recipes, though.
Old May 9 2013, 07:51 AM   #140
Kenbushway
Captain

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Kenbushway wrote: View Post
Kroger doesn't have good deals on ground Turkey, you have to pay 7$ + for a very small container of ground Turkey. So I don't know if that transition is possible. [blah, blah, blah] Do you have any advice with slow cookers? Could I switch completely from stove top cooking to crock pot?
Aldi's has ground turkey in a 1 pound chub for about $1.79, so no excuse for not switching to ground turkey. They also have a weekly newsletter.

Google is your friend. When it comes to crock-pot cooking, internet searches are great. I get daily e-mails from Mr. Food. Many are not diabetic friendly, although they do have a section for that. They DO have many slow cooker recipes, though.
I still have a problem with the ground turkey, there isn't an Aldi's near me.
Old May 9 2013, 11:33 AM   #141
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Get a wok if you don't have one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wok
Old May 9 2013, 02:34 PM   #142
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Don't bother with the organic stuff, Ken, the only difference is politics and price.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:50 PM   #143
Kenbushway
Captain

Rincewiend wrote: View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wok
My father has one. It has a steaming part that I can use with it.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Don't bother with the organic stuff, Ken, the only difference is politics and price.
Right. I knew that but sometimes you can find special ingredients asked for in recipes in the organic section that you couldn't find elsewhere. Like Mint Leaves, whole mint leaves. Before all you got was just dried diced mint leaves, but now the organic section has the full leaves, not chopped, and not dried out.
Old May 9 2013, 07:02 PM   #144
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Better yet, buy a mint plant. They're easy to grow!

View my art!
Old May 9 2013, 07:41 PM   #145
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Get basil too! You can get a lot of easy-to-grow herbs!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:43 PM   #146
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Definitely! They taste great, are cost-effective, and make your home smell fabulous! My mom used to grow a ton of herbs in our kitchen when I was a kid. She grew a chocolate mint plant that was so delicious we would just pluck the leaves off and suck on them.

View my art!
Old May 9 2013, 08:04 PM   #147
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I love the basil plant I got for this summer, plus the tomato plants. As soon as the tomatoes are ready to go, there's a dish I'm going to make.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 08:14 PM   #148
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh, nothing beats fresh tomatoes. With some produce there's not really a difference between grocery store and fresh, but tomatoes taste like a whole different fruit. They're the one thing I will never buy at the grocery store, only the farmer's market. Unfortunately, I don't get enough sun to grow them myself. My mom used to grow them, and one of my favorite things was a tomato right off the vine cut in half and sprinkled with sugar.

View my art!

Last edited by thestrangequark; May 9 2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old May 9 2013, 09:26 PM   #149
J.T.B.
Commodore

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
I've had woks over the years but I'm not crazy about their utility; as Alton Brown would say, they're uni-taskers. A large non-stick skillet works fine and is more versatile. Now I do all my stir-frying in a enamel/cast iron braiser, it works great and can do a lot more besides.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Oh, nothing beats fresh tomatoes. With some produce there's not really a difference between grocery store and fresh, but tomatoes taste like a whole different fruit. There the one thing I will never buy at the grocery store, only the farmer's market. Unfortunately, I don't get enough sun to grow them myself. My mom used to grow them, and one of my favorite things was a tomato right off the vine cut in half and sprinkled with sugar.
Agreed 100%. I will not buy a tomato in the winter, no matter what, and in the summer we grow our own. I have eight plants growing now, they will go in the ground this weekend.

We buy canned tomatoes by the case, though; they are useful in all kinds of recipes and are harvested when ripe, unlike supermarket produce tomatoes which are harvested green and hard.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:30 PM   #150
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh god, you quoted me having typed there instead of they're. I hang my head in shame.

View my art!