Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 2 2013, 12:23 AM   #46
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Will you be able to resist boot legged copies of STID?

TheCutestofBorg wrote: View Post
ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
If they keep releasing clips, not only will I be able to resist a boot leg, I will be able to resist the theatrical release. I'm starting to feel as though I've already seen the movie.
I thought it was just me, but many of the scenes they are showing in the new trailers/commercials seem like they copied quite a few scenes from the first movie. The jumping out of something into space for a sort of space skydive was in the 1st movie. It looks like it will be in the 2nd. Punch it. That was also in the 1st movie.
There are other scenes too. Am I the only one who noticed this?
No, not really. One of the reviews I remember reading said something to the effect that the space jump was on the way to becoming a new Star Trek Thing, and that Kirk still seems to be hanging from stuff by his fingertips quite a bit.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:40 AM   #47
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
One thing of interest I noticed since more studios are now electing to release films internationally first instead of the US - is the boot legged copies are showing up at the ususal places before even a US release.

Over the weekend I rode the train to an event in Atlanta and already the guys hawking shit on the train were hawking Iron Man 3 which just opened up internationally over the weekend. Amazing.

Will you be able to resist a boot legged copy of STID?
I will. I have never had a boot-legged copy of any movie. I will wait for it to come out on DVD and that will be my copy. Until then, I will see it in the movie theater (and paying for the tickets). I am a straight arrow on this subject. No need to cheat the makers of the movie from making a profit.
Old May 2 2013, 01:36 AM   #48
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I won't do a bootleg ever. When I was a kid, my friend's Dad had a boot leg of Return of the Jedi, and we watched it. His Dad was a real dick, and was laughing about how he essentially got the movie for free. I never thought that was cool after that.
Old May 2 2013, 05:21 PM   #49
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Will you be able to resist boot legged copies of STID?
Yep. By this time next week I'll have seen it. Then, bring on Christmas and the DVD!
Old May 8 2013, 09:59 PM   #50
T J
Commodore

I'm willing to bet that the rest of the world is so happy and proud to get a Trek movie first there there won't be one until after it comes out in the US... They wouldn't give the US the satisfaction and will be riding the high of being able to stick it to the US audience for the first time for a Trek movie. It will be a point of pride.

Besides, who would want to ruin the long wait and HD/3D beauty by watching a crap shaky blurry cam copy... it's a crime in more sense than one. So yes, I can resist and wouldn't have it another way. I want my first experience with a new Trek film to be pristine!
Old May 9 2013, 10:11 AM   #51
AxelFoley
Commander

If a Star Trek fan can't wait for the real thing and gets a bootleg version instead, I question that persons fandom.
Old May 9 2013, 11:10 AM   #52
TheSubCommander
Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
One thing of interest I noticed since more studios are now electing to release films internationally first instead of the US - is the boot legged copies are showing up at the ususal places before even a US release.

Over the weekend I rode the train to an event in Atlanta and already the guys hawking shit on the train were hawking Iron Man 3 which just opened up internationally over the weekend. Amazing.

Will you be able to resist a boot legged copy of STID?
Yes because, aside from simply wanting to see the movie at Imax, bootlegs usually suck in quality. I don't need to see the backs of heads of the audience, from when the bootlegger filmed the movie with his camcorder.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:42 PM   #53
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

If the situation was that it was released in Australia sometime later this month, I would still wait. The quality isn't there. Plus I love seeing these movies on the big screen.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 04:57 AM   #54
USSPhilippi
Lieutenant Commander

View USSPhilippi's Twitter Profile

AxelFoley wrote: View Post
If a Star Trek fan can't wait for the real thing and gets a bootleg version instead, I question that persons fandom.
Agree 110%.

For Thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of the things which Thou hast made: for Thou didst not appoint, or make any thing hating it. Wisdom 11:25, Douay-Rheims Bible
USSPhilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 05:13 AM   #55
anotherdemon
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's well worth the entry fee, whether you're a fan of Trek or not, and it's worth waiting for (see on screen then the wait for DVD).
anotherdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 12:48 PM   #56
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

If it were released in the U.S. months ahead of the UK, like they used to, I'd fly over to NY for the weekend to watch it. In fact I was at one point going to schedule a DC trip for work this upcoming week, and stay around to watch the premiere at a midnight showing for my second watch. I'm off to Brussels instead though

I grew up in the 90s with a major problem - I'd be on places like uk.tv.media.scifi.startrek, and later trekbbs and trektoday, where us in the UK were months behind.

The last 2 series of DS9 I bought on VHS for $10/episode (I now own both sets on DVD) as it was the fastest way to get my hands on them.

I did download SG1 episodes about 1999, for about a year, at about 20MB per episode. I decided the quality was too poor and the added value of bbs discussion wasn't high enough. From about season 5 onwards I bought them on DVD instead, at about $7 per episode.

It became easier at Uni with a massive 10mbit internet connection and an irc client, so I downloaded the final voyager and most of the first enterprise series, the later wasn't good enough for the effort though, and I still haven't seen all the episodes.

Since then, I've occasionally downloaded an episode of something when the PVR has cocked up.

I've never seen the attraction of bootlegging or downloading films though, or even watching them on TV. If it's awesome I'll watch it at the cinema (a rare luxury with a baby, been twice in the last 12 months, missing out on MIB, Bond, Batman, Les Mis).

If it's good (Skyfall, last Batman) I'll wait for the blueray.

If it's "Meh" (Die Hard) I'll watch it on a plane.

Once they're on Blueray or DVD they're usually about $15 from Asda, it's not worthwhile downloading at that price.
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote