MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 4 2013, 10:01 PM   #16
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Box Sets

RE: The "Fake Ray".

This is factually incorrect. They did not expand DVD masters or anything of the sort.

They likely worked from 2K masters from the studio, and did a 4K restoration for Star Trek II, that may have needed more work.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 11:08 PM   #17
Procutus
Admiral

Random_Spock wrote: View Post
Just snagged a copy of the dvd set from Wal-Mart. Wanted to get them for years, but haven't been able to find them that often.

I grabbed the 2-disc package of TMP and STII last night, from Wal-Mart as well. The fact that TMP was the theatrical version sold me; now I have both it and the DE on DVD.

I put it in the player when I got home this evening and just let it run without sound while putzing around doing things, and I think that the picture quality is far better than the DE from 2000. Could just be an illusion, as I haven't take the time to switch the DVDs out for a true comparison. But it does seem that some minor clean-up work was done on this version, IMO.
Old April 5 2013, 01:21 AM   #18
trekker670
Captain

I saw the TOS boxed set at Walmart last week for $35, along with several sets (various two-pack of the movies), it makes me wonder in Paramount is clearing out stock to make room for something new?
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 08:35 PM   #19
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Perhaps they are releasing a box set of all the films combined?

If they redo the work for the TMP Directors Edition, I'd be really happy.
Old April 6 2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Oso Blanco
Commodore

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post

They will be releasing a new box set called "Stardate Collection" at the end of April. Nothing new, though ... just the same stuff repackaged.
Old April 6 2013, 08:57 PM   #21
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I'm waiting for a complete remastered Blu Ray set before I re-purchase the films.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 08:54 PM   #22
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I saw the TOS boxed set at Walmart last week for $35, along with several sets (various two-pack of the movies), it makes me wonder in Paramount is clearing out stock to make room for something new?
I think I saw the same, but those were the DVD sets.

The Blu-Rays were around $70 I think.

I'll see for myself how well the TOS movies fare in their theatrical forms on Blu, but some day, I hope they get Darren Dochterman and company to recreate the Directors Edition of TMP.

CBS Digital might be able to help out with that also.

I'm happy to have the theatrical releases.
Old April 8 2013, 11:21 PM   #23
Grant
Fleet Captain

Caretaker wrote: View Post
I'm waiting for a complete remastered Blu Ray set before I re-purchase the films.
Here-here.

Restored, not over DNRed, multiple versions, deleted scenes. Do it right or keep it.

Last edited by Grant; April 9 2013 at 02:45 AM.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 11:01 PM   #24
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I picked up the TOS and TNG sets on DVD today. Now I just need the time to watch them...

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 11:18 PM   #25
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

The Blu-rays for the TOS and TNG movies are not bad, and IMHO, The Motion Picture and The Wrath Of Khan look fantastic. The others I'd rate as overall pretty good.

The sound on TMP is awesome, and I prefer the sound mix I heard there to the Directors Edition revised mix. Jerry Goldsmith's score comes through so sublime it's unreal.

I'm actually very happy with the Blu-ray sets. The only 2 things I want now are a high-definition recreation of the work for the Director's Edition, and the resoration of the special features on that DVD, along with maybe an extra documentary about the Blu-ray re-rendering of the effects.

If they create better transfers of the movies to address the DNR / Edge Enhancement issues, all the better, but I'm happy with them.
Old May 9 2013, 08:34 AM   #26
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I'm glad I found this thread as the reviews on Amazon are next to useless when they use reviews from DVD's/VHS/LaserDisc to review a BluRay (sorry for the overuse of the word "review"!)

As someone who has been blown away by CBS's work on TNG, something I'm more than happy to part with my cash for, I will wait until the movies are remastered properly by Paramount.

Is there any further news or hints that this will definitely happen?
Old May 9 2013, 04:32 PM   #27
Lance
Fleet Captain

I found the investment in the theatrical cuts on shiny disc to be worth a double-dip with the Blu Ray releases. Especially with things like TMP and TUC, whose theatrical cuts have long been buried in a commercial sense for many, many years. There's always been something about the Director's Editions which I've disliked, so it has been great to be able to own the movies just as they originally went out in theaters.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:57 PM   #28
silent_man
Lieutenant Commander

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post

They will be releasing a new box set called "Stardate Collection" at the end of April. Nothing new, though ... just the same stuff repackaged.

This is now out, going for around £70 in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-St...dp/B00BKN6ZP0/

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/star-tr.../10766069.html
silent_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 07:39 PM   #29
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Lance wrote: View Post
I found the investment in the theatrical cuts on shiny disc to be worth a double-dip with the Blu Ray releases. Especially with things like TMP and TUC, whose theatrical cuts have long been buried in a commercial sense for many, many years. There's always been something about the Director's Editions which I've disliked, so it has been great to be able to own the movies just as they originally went out in theaters.
The BDs are definitely an upgrade over the DVDs, especially TMP which had never been available in it's original form since the VHS days. Too bad that the opening credits of TSFS are window boxed, though. And I really hope that we will get the TMP-SLV and the TWOK-DE as well as the extended version of TUC (not the DE) on BD!