RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,077
Posts: 5,398,079
Members: 24,734
Currently online: 553
Newest member: DaddlerTheDalek

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 9 2013, 03:38 AM   #211
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Consider what's going on with The X-Files over at 20th Century Fox right now. HD Conform by HTV, all VFX shots upconverted from D1 tape -- including shots with live action elements.
I feel like I've just been punched in the gut reading that......
I know, right? TNG is really getting the royal treatment. You can read a bit more about The X-Files here:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...les-twin-peaks
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 03:50 AM   #212
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Consider what's going on with The X-Files over at 20th Century Fox right now. HD Conform by HTV, all VFX shots upconverted from D1 tape -- including shots with live action elements.
I feel like I've just been punched in the gut reading that......
Jeeez. I had no real desire to own or rewatch X-Files on blu-ray, but that is still lame as hell.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 04:17 AM   #213
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I'm glad CBS are releasing movie-length ep Blu-rays. Otherwise, what would people complain about until the next travesty?
  1. 4x3 instead of widescreen.
  2. HTV screws the pooch.
  3. Exclusive material on solo releases.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:10 AM   #214
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Consider what's going on with The X-Files over at 20th Century Fox right now. HD Conform by HTV, all VFX shots upconverted from D1 tape -- including shots with live action elements.
I feel like I've just been punched in the gut reading that......
What's the point of releasing on BR if some parts are just going to be upconverted?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 08:37 AM   #215
Angel4576
Rear Admiral
 
Angel4576's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I know, right? TNG is really getting the royal treatment. You can read a bit more about The X-Files here:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...les-twin-peaks
The only bit of good news I took from that is that we might get Twin Peaks on BD at some point.

davejames wrote: View Post
Jeeez. I had no real desire to own or rewatch X-Files on blu-ray, but that is still lame as hell.
It's gone from a "day one purchase" to a "wait and read the reviews" maybe purchase.

Dream wrote: View Post
What's the point of releasing on BR if some parts are just going to be upconverted?
Well I guess they did the same thing with Firefly didn't they? That was better than the DVDs, but still, short of what I expect now thanks to the TNG remasters. Damn it, I've slept since and I'm still f*cked off about this.
__________________
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One.
Angel4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:37 AM   #216
Scotty
Rear Admiral
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, Holland
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

[QUOTE=BillJ;8060389]
Aatrek wrote: View Post
But if your a fan who will actually buy the season sets, you're forced to buy a separate disc for features that should've honestly came with the season sets if you want them.
If you're a completist and want to own every special feature or TNG Blu Ray disc (like me) then you are right and you are forced to buy those seperate discs. I don't mind since the discs cost next to nothing compared to the season sets. The BOBW disc cost 7 pounds in the UK. If I had waited a year, I'm sure I could've gotten it for 6 or even 5 pounds. I honestly don't mind.

I'm sorry, but The Best of Both Worlds special features being shunted to an additional disc have left a far worse taste in my mouth than the season two debacle. It should really leave a bad taste in the mouth of all Trekkies.
I disagree BillJ. The HTV debacle meant that the visual effects were sloppily remastered on 22 episodes! You are talking about one commentary track and 35 minutes of additional features. You're still getting the episodes. It pales in comparison.
__________________
"No bla bla bla!" - Captain James T. Kirk
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:14 PM   #217
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain
 
Dane_Whitman's Avatar
 
Location: Dinner to bug.
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Dream wrote: View Post
Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Consider what's going on with The X-Files over at 20th Century Fox right now. HD Conform by HTV, all VFX shots upconverted from D1 tape -- including shots with live action elements.
I feel like I've just been punched in the gut reading that......
What's the point of releasing on BR if some parts are just going to be upconverted?
Uhm... the live action footage? Which makes up more than 90% of an X-Files episode.

Firefly and Enterprise were also released in HD with upconverted SFX footage. Nevertheless quite an improvement from dvd.
__________________
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
but wiser people so full of doubts."

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 03:43 PM   #218
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
But splitting the cost/space requirement across two seasons would meant that much of it still could have been done. I mean, would've anyone been heart-broken if we had got a The Best of Both Worlds I commentary track instead of one for The Bonding?
Having listened to the BOBW commentary track - actually, yes. Since pretty much all of the interesting stuff was already in the documentary, while the same probably isn't true for the one for "The Bonding".

Is it just me, or did the commentary track seem like it was out of sync during part 2? As if they'd had the fade to black when they were recording it, and it was only cut out later (killing sync)?
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 03:59 PM   #219
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

Further, what if someone told you (hypothetically) that selling these standalone discs (BOBW, Redemption, possibly Unification, Chain of Command, etc.) more or less helped bankroll and greenlight a full HD DS9, all seven seasons (even the CG VFX) filled to the brim with all new VAM... and that a similar tactic with DS9 helped bankroll VOY. Would that change your opinion?
I want TNG on Blu-ray because I want TNG on Blu-ray, not because buying it will lead to hypothetical releases down the road. Plus, I simply don't believe other series HD makeovers rely solely on how well TNG sells. I think actual cost, likely revenue sources beyond the Blu-ray (syndication, streaming) and even the sales performance of Enterprise (which I haven't bought and have no intention of buying) will factor as much into any decisions regarding the other two series.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 04:06 PM   #220
Aatrek
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
I simply don't believe other series HD makeovers rely solely on how well TNG sells.
You are really, really incorrect.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 04:16 PM   #221
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Aatrek wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I simply don't believe other series HD makeovers rely solely on how well TNG sells.
You are really, really incorrect.
So you're telling me this: if TNG sells really, really well but based on those figures DS9 won't turn a profit because of cost, they'd still do DS9?

I worked in a corporate environment for a really long time and things simply don't work that way. Unless you get a totally half-assed DS9.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 04:28 PM   #222
Aatrek
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

The Star Trek remastering project is financially totally dependent on Blu-ray sales at this point, with a bit of iTunes (etc.) money in there.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 04:29 PM   #223
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain
 
FrontierTrek's Avatar
 
Location: TrekCore.com
View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
I want TNG on Blu-ray because I want TNG on Blu-ray, not because buying it will lead to hypothetical releases down the road. Plus, I simply don't believe other series HD makeovers rely solely on how well TNG sells.
Woefully incorrect. Deep Space Nine is far more dependent on TNG Blu sales than you can imagine.
__________________
www.TrekCore.com :: The Net's LARGEST Trek Multimedia Site
Over 450,000 Trek DVD & Blu-Ray Caps from EVERY episode/movie!
FrontierTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 04:37 PM   #224
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Aatrek wrote: View Post
The Star Trek remastering project is financially totally dependent on Blu-ray sales at this point, with a bit of iTunes (etc.) money in there.
It has to be a bit more than just that since they're selling syndication rights to seasons one and two in England.

Since DS9 shouldn't be too far down the road if they keep with the Next Gen release schedule, shouldn't Mike Okuda be able to tell us if it is "on track" as far as sales go (they have to have a magic number if the promise has been made)? In order to make the statement that it is totally dependent on TNG sales, someone should've already crunched the numbers on what DS9 season one will cost to remaster. Right?

I'm not trying to be a dick and I like Mike Okuda, but I'm pretty sure the decision to greenlight DS9-R is made far above his pay-grade. I buy TNG-R because I like TNG, not because it implies some promise to upgrade the other series and, honestly, I think it's wrong to present it that way.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 11:39 PM   #225
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

Further, what if someone told you (hypothetically) that selling these standalone discs (BOBW, Redemption, possibly Unification, Chain of Command, etc.) more or less helped bankroll and greenlight a full HD DS9, all seven seasons (even the CG VFX) filled to the brim with all new VAM... and that a similar tactic with DS9 helped bankroll VOY. Would that change your opinion?
I want TNG on Blu-ray because I want TNG on Blu-ray, not because buying it will lead to hypothetical releases down the road. Plus, I simply don't believe other series HD makeovers rely solely on how well TNG sells. I think actual cost, likely revenue sources beyond the Blu-ray (syndication, streaming) and even the sales performance of Enterprise (which I haven't bought and have no intention of buying) will factor as much into any decisions regarding the other two series.
You're right in the sense that all the spinoffs are likely going to have HD masters made regardless, because it is in the best interests of CBS to future proof them and sell them back into syndication like you say.

The real question however -- the one that hinges on how well TNG sells, the one we're all interested in learning the answer to -- is how will the remasters of DS9 and VOY be approached. Like TNG, or like The X-Files? If TNG doesn't sell well on Blu, then the CBS executives are likely to look at those two later series and say, "Just upconvert the VFX and port over the existing VAM. Done."

See, I don't care about syndication, digital distribution or streaming. I want high-quality Blu-ray sets for TNG, DS9 and VOY... with high bitrates, lossless audio and every frame meticulously restored using every original element CBS Digital can get their hands on. The only way that's going to happen is if CBS gets a good return on their investment for TNG on Blu. There's no way they will lavish that kind of money and effort on DS9 and VOY if TNG doesn't sell well.

So, by all means, keep doing what you're doing. Keep buying these TNG discs, because that sends a message to CBS that you will reward them when they go the extra mile.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered, tng season 4 blu-ray

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.