Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 5 2013, 07:23 PM   #421
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

For anyone keeping score at home, filming wrapped yesterday.

Unless my math is off, that was a three week shoot, so the anniversary special will be closer to 60 minutes than 90.

Which means the Toy Fair poster looks increasingly accurate.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 07:26 PM   #422
StCoop
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I never understood why people thought it wasn't, given that it was information supplied by BBC Worldwide, who in turn would have got it from the Production Office.
StCoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 07:35 PM   #423
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

StCoop wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I never understood why people thought it wasn't, given that it was information supplied by BBC Worldwide, who in turn would have got it from the Production Office.
I think they didn't want to believe it because it didn't square with what they hoped for or what Moffat had promised this year would be -- "the opposite in fact" of a reduced episode count.

The problem, of course, is that all the other details proved true. There's a spring season. There's the retrospective series on BBC America. There's an anniversary special and a Christmas special and, with Matt Smith's American commitments, no time to film anything else.

The 60-minute length was the last thing they could grasp onto that hadn't been proven true.

The three week shoot maybe doesn't prove it true, but it's suggestive that it's true.

I work in marketing, and when I saw that poster and knew who it was for (merchandise buyers), I had no reason to doubt it because I've been responsible for things exactly like that. Not everyone else has that experience, though, so it was easier to doubt.

allyngibson.net

Last edited by Allyn Gibson; May 5 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old May 5 2013, 11:34 PM   #424
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Filming started April 2nd, the day after the read-through, so it's more like four weeks than three. But four weeks is the usual shooting time for a 60-minute special; if they'd been working from a 90-minute script it would have taken more like six weeks. So certainly closer to 60 than 90, as Allyn says.
Old May 6 2013, 12:09 AM   #425
StCoop
Commodore

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Filming started April 2nd, the day after the read-through, so it's more like four weeks than three. But four weeks is the usual shooting time for a 60-minute special; if they'd been working from a 90-minute script it would have taken more like six weeks. So certainly closer to 60 than 90, as Allyn says.
And shooting in 3D will have slowed things down a bit too.
Old May 6 2013, 12:19 AM   #426
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
And shooting in 3D will have slowed things down a bit too.
It's exhausting throwing stuff at the camera all day long.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 10:27 PM   #427
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Reports around the net are

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 10:34 PM   #428
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
As for Matt Smith's regeneration, the way Eleven has been talking and acting since "The Snowmen" has me thinking that he will buy it at some point saving Clara's life. He already blames himself for her Victorian version's death and Oswin saved his life in "Asylum"....he'll give up his life before she dies again. I'm sure of it.
I have to admit it does kind of seem like it's heading in that direction, with this season being Eleven's swan song. Although I really hope it's not, because I'd still love to see a lot more with Smith and Coleman together.

Of course we know he's in the 50th special after the Trenzalore episode, so presumably he at least survives that event....
Oh so do I. They are good opposite one another. But I definitely think that's where the story is heading, even if it's in season 8. And I hope Clara sticks around for the 12th Doctor too.
Meh, I'll believe it when they actually announce an actor being cast as the 12th doctor.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 10:36 PM   #429
StCoop
Commodore

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

So will McGann be regenerating into John Hurt then, 'cos he won't be regenerating into Eccleston, that's for sure!

There's also rumours of 'The Name Of The Doctor' opening with Clara being inserted into clips from Original Series episodes, which I find hard to believe since ancient 4:3 footage zoomed in to fill a 16:9 frame would look absolutely terrible.
Old May 8 2013, 10:39 PM   #430
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

They can use the 1st doctor set from the "Docudrama" and just make everything black and white
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 10:43 PM   #431
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Excuse me, I was just overwhelmed with joy!

And there I go again!

This has got to be the best news of all time! I think I actually thought why don't they do a regeneration minisode. So happy about this!

Whoops, and again.

Am so glad they're doing this! I wonder if Eccleston will be a good sport and do a few seconds. I do hope so. Otherwise looks like they'll recast him most likely. Man, think of all the fan fic this will lead to!!!!!!

I hope you're not just playing with us to get my hopes up. If I find this is not happening, I will most likely die a little inside. :P

Is there a link to where it's been announced? Where did you get this data from?
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 10:45 PM   #432
StCoop
Commodore

They can use the 1st doctor set from the "Docudrama" and just make everything black and white
That's another part of that rumor I don't believe as it says

IT all sounds like Whistleblower Mk II to me.
Old May 8 2013, 10:47 PM   #433
StCoop
Commodore

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I hope you're not just playing with us to get my hopes up. If I find this is not happening, I will most likely die a little inside.
Given all the false rumours that have been flying around recently probably best not to get too excited yet.
Old May 8 2013, 10:55 PM   #434
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I still hope it's true.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 11:28 PM   #435
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

So will McGann be regenerating into John Hurt then, 'cos he won't be regenerating into Eccleston, that's for sure!
I'm puzzled why, at this late date, depicting McGann's regeneration into anyone (Atkinson, Grant, Eccleston, Hurt, whomever) matters.

What the guys at DWM said years ago when they declined to do the regeneration at the end of "The Flood" is still valid -- a regeneration is a story of two halves, the build-up to the regeneration, and the aftermath of that regeneration. A minisode scene gives us the flashy effects, but it doesn't give us the story. The only people with an emotional connection to Paul McGann's version of the Doctor to give the regeneration any meaning are the fans. And the minisode isn't going to give us a full "Castrovalva" or "The Christmas Invasion."

I'm not saying Moffat can't do this if he wishes. But I don't see the point in doing it as a minisode. If it's just to check the box, it's pointless.

allyngibson.net