TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Devil's Bargain.
Outstanding 7 13.21%
Above Average 17 32.08%
Average 15 28.30%
Below Average 12 22.64%
Poor 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8 2013, 04:28 PM   #91
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS: Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
MrPjax wrote: View Post
This book really pissed me off! It suppose to be a TOS series book yet all the characters are written to sound and act like the "Abramverse" Star Trek characters. The author must have done his research off the 2009 movie! I got to chapter 2 and thought I was going to vomit!!
We definitely read different books.
Agreed... I don't know where you got that impression, I didn't pick up on any "Abramverse" vibe whatsoever... what kinds of things led to that feeling, if I may ask? Like, what are some examples that led you to this conclusion?
Old May 8 2013, 07:01 PM   #92
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
This book really pissed me off! It suppose to be a TOS series book yet all the characters are written to sound and act like the "Abramverse" Star Trek characters. The author must have done his research off the 2009 movie! I got to chapter 2 and thought I was going to vomit!!
Agreed... I don't know where you got that impression, I didn't pick up on any "Abramverse" vibe whatsoever... what kinds of things led to that feeling, if I may ask? Like, what are some examples that led you to this conclusion?
Utterly not JJverse. The TOSness of it was unmistakable...
Old May 8 2013, 09:44 PM   #93
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Did the references to beer bother you that much?
Old May 8 2013, 11:16 PM   #94
MrPjax
Cadet

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Did the references to beer bother you that much?
The first part that got me was when Spock was describing what is going to happen when the asteroid hits. He was going to throw a melon at the wall!! Nimoy's Spock would have never done that! Then there was the part where the daughter of the main guy overhears them talking in their room and she ask to come in and Kirk says, "Your welcome here anytime."

The Spock part was purely done is the style of the new movie. Plus, the TOS Kirk is a ladies man. The new Kirk is a womanizer and he only goes for a score record! Just see how he is banging Uhura's roommate in the movie and then moves quickly after her!! I have been a TOS fan for 40 years and have read tons of books. But this book is clearly written with the JJverse actors in mind!
MrPjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 11:18 PM   #95
MrPjax
Cadet

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Kertrats47 wrote: View Post

Utterly not JJverse. The TOSness of it was unmistakable...
What??!! You need to reread you TOS Trek books from say 20 years ago and rewatch the show. This was clearly JJverse style characters!
Old May 9 2013, 12:26 AM   #96
Christopher
Writer

The first part that got me was when Spock was describing what is going to happen when the asteroid hits. He was going to throw a melon at the wall!! Nimoy's Spock would have never done that!
Why not? He wasn't above using dramatic visual aids in TOS, like the piece of cast rodinium he shattered in his hand in "Balance of Terror." And why would you think Quinto's Spock was any more likely to give such a demonstration? I don't remember any fruit-throwing in the movie.

Plus, the TOS Kirk is a ladies man. The new Kirk is a womanizer and he only goes for a score record! Just see how he is banging Uhura's roommate in the movie and then moves quickly after her!! I have been a TOS fan for 40 years and have read tons of books. But this book is clearly written with the JJverse actors in mind!
I have no idea what you're talking about. Kirk's romance here felt very much in the vein of his TOS romances to me. Yes, he was more openly sexually involved with the lady in question, but that's just because it's not 1960s TV and such things don't have to be hidden away anymore.

I think you just didn't like the movie and are afraid that it will change how the TOS characters are portrayed in other works, and so you're projecting that fear onto what you read. You're the only person I know of who's seen anything in this book that resembled the Abramsverse. I certainly didn't when I read it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 04:28 AM   #97
MrPjax
Cadet

Christopher wrote: View Post
The first part that got me was when Spock was describing what is going to happen when the asteroid hits. He was going to throw a melon at the wall!! Nimoy's Spock would have never done that!
Why not? He wasn't above using dramatic visual aids in TOS, like the piece of cast rodinium he shattered in his hand in "Balance of Terror." And why would you think Quinto's Spock was any more likely to give such a demonstration? I don't remember any fruit-throwing in the movie.

Plus, the TOS Kirk is a ladies man. The new Kirk is a womanizer and he only goes for a score record! Just see how he is banging Uhura's roommate in the movie and then moves quickly after her!! I have been a TOS fan for 40 years and have read tons of books. But this book is clearly written with the JJverse actors in mind!
I have no idea what you're talking about. Kirk's romance here felt very much in the vein of his TOS romances to me. Yes, he was more openly sexually involved with the lady in question, but that's just because it's not 1960s TV and such things don't have to be hidden away anymore.

I think you just didn't like the movie and are afraid that it will change how the TOS characters are portrayed in other works, and so you're projecting that fear onto what you read. You're the only person I know of who's seen anything in this book that resembled the Abramsverse. I certainly didn't when I read it.
I guess only a true Trekkie like me would understand the difference. The Trekkers see all Star Trek as the same!
Old May 9 2013, 02:12 PM   #98
Christopher
Writer

^Okay, then. That clears up a lot. Goodbye.

Old May 9 2013, 07:03 PM   #99
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Okay, then. That clears up a lot. Goodbye.

And Pjax - I was reading TOS novels 20 years ago. And had been reading them for nearly 20 years by that point...
Old May 9 2013, 07:11 PM   #100
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

I'm guessing Therin has been reading them close to 40 years by now as well. I've been reading them for 30 myself.

And I have to agree with Therin and Relayer1 - Devil's Bargain struck me as very (refreshingly!) old-school.

I guess only a true Trekkie like me would understand the difference. The Trekkers see all Star Trek as the same!
I had a friend in high school who used to make a similar distinction. Except in his mind a true star trek fan was a "Trekker" and a lesser fan was a "trekkie" or something. Used to crack me up.

Its like the people who insist they know the difference between a "geek" and a "nerd" and insist they're one but not the other.

Trekkie, trekker, nerd, geek - I happily answer to them all!
Old May 9 2013, 11:21 PM   #101
Christopher
Writer

I read my first Trek novel about 37 years ago, I'd say. And my 40th anniversary as a Trek fan will be this coming January.

For a long time, "Trekkie" was seen as a derogatory label applied to Trek fans by those who looked down on them -- akin to "hippie" or "groupie," or maybe even "junkie." "Trekker" was coined as a more respectable alternative, by analogy with "trucker," I think. (Or perhaps simply from the Dutch word trekker, one who goes on a long journey.) These days the stigma attached to "Trekkie" seems to have been forgotten and the terms are used pretty much interchangeably.

Old May 10 2013, 12:43 AM   #102
JWolf
Commodore

I read my first Star Trek novel when I was 13. It was Spock Must Die. At around the same time I read all of the Blish novelizations. So that would be 36 years ago.
Old May 10 2013, 02:01 AM   #103
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Yep, I am actually one of the younger people around here.

My first one was Price of the Phoenix, when I was in 4th grade. 30 years ago, yikes. Believe it or not I wasn't really that into Star Trek, it was just one of my dad's books that looked interesting. (He had a lot of sci-fi but that was his only Star Trek book.)

A few years later I really started getting into Star Trek (on TV). One day I discovered that there was a whole section of Trek novels at the bookstore, and picked up Deep Domain to read on a trip. I read it in less than a day, and after that I was completely hooked. Somehow up until that point I thought there were only a few Star Trek novels, all Bantam, and I didn't even know Pocket existed!
Old May 10 2013, 05:46 AM   #104
T'Grinch
T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon

What a terrible book with which to start your Trek reading!

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 11:12 AM   #105
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

I've always thought the Phoenix novels were some of the better Bantam books, which isn't saying a whole lot. Maybe I'm weird but I enjoyed them.

The pocket books were all consistently better though.