Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 8 2013, 01:16 AM   #121
Snaploud
Admiral

Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

The Chevrolet Vega:

Failure to penetrate a gap between front fenders and cowl allowed moist debris and salt to rust the untreated steel, and trapped air prevented coating inside the tops of the front fenders, which on early Vegas had no protective liners.[8] The finance department had rejected liners as they would have added a $2.28 unit cost.
The Center for Auto Safety criticized the car. A letter from its founder Ralph Nader to GM Chairman Richard Gerstenberg contained a list of safety allegations, and said the car was a "sloppily crafted, unreliable and unsafe automobile" that "hardly set a good example in small car production for American industry".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega

Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 01:39 AM   #122
the G-man
Commodore

gblews wrote: View Post
I do like the merger, though. Some great stuff ahead, I do believe.
This was the best ep of the season so far, given the renewed focus on office politics, business shenanigans and the like.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 03:47 AM   #123
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Did we get any kind of explanation for this? If I were Don I'd be pretty pissed at being kept in the dark about something so big.
So pissed that he'd go and initiate a merger without consulting anyone other than Roger, maybe?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 04:11 AM   #124
Warped9
Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Did we get any kind of explanation for this? If I were Don I'd be pretty pissed at being kept in the dark about something so big.
So pissed that he'd go and initiate a merger without consulting anyone other than Roger, maybe?
Although it wasn't shown we don't know that they didn't talk to everyone before proceeding to the meeting with Chevrolet together.
Old May 8 2013, 07:49 PM   #125
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

I think it was pretty clear that Don's idea and initiation of the merger had nothing to do with emotion and was strictly for business reasons.

The merger storyline actually had been set up a couple of episodes back I think -- the Heinz catsup episode. In the bar scene at the end, Ted had some of the same bitter complaints then that he had after the meeting with Chevy. And those complaints were made to Don.

So what did Ted say Peggy's position in the new firm was going to be -- chief of something, didn't quite catch it. But I can see her and Don boxing over some creative stuff. And I have a feeling Ted and Pete aren't going to see eye to eye. Ted's seems like kind of a hang loose go-getter while Pete likes to take the slow deliberate kiss-ass route. Can't wait.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 08:06 PM   #126
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

I think Ted described Peggy something along the lines of "head of copy at a major ad agency and you're not even thirty yet," or something like that.

Ted Chaough has been an interesting business rival to Don. It might be fun seeing them all working together for a change.

As far as the Vega quality issue, I could see it actually being an advantage for the agency. I can see some Chevy execs discussing the car down the road: "Well, the public has figured out our car is crap. We need to launch an ad campaign to improve its image. Why don't we give it to the same agency that handled the initial product launch? Hell, even though it was junk, they still sold a shitload of them!"

Last edited by Jonas Grumby; May 8 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 08:50 PM   #127
billcosby
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
I do like the merger, though. Some great stuff ahead, I do believe.
This was the best ep of the season so far, given the renewed focus on office politics, business shenanigans and the like.
Yeah, it's a huge step in the right direction for this season... luckily there were no pointless scenes with Betty. I'm starting to wonder why she remains in the show at all given how little her character contributes to the story.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 08:58 PM   #128
Data Holmes
Admiral

I think it was pretty clear that Don's idea and initiation of the merger had nothing to do with emotion and was strictly for business reasons.

The merger storyline actually had been set up a couple of episodes back I think -- the Heinz catsup episode. In the bar scene at the end, Ted had some of the same bitter complaints then that he had after the meeting with Chevy. And those complaints were made to Don.

So what did Ted say Peggy's position in the new firm was going to be -- chief of something, didn't quite catch it. But I can see her and Don boxing over some creative stuff. And I have a feeling Ted and Pete aren't going to see eye to eye. Ted's seems like kind of a hang loose go-getter while Pete likes to take the slow deliberate kiss-ass route. Can't wait.
I believe what Ted said Peggy was that she was either copy chief or chief of copy at a top twenty agency, and before she was even thirty and that even he was jealous.
Old May 8 2013, 10:07 PM   #129
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

My point was that he didn't even bother to consult with anyone else before initiating it, likely because he was a bit pissed at having been kept out of the loop previously in the episode. Just because it made sense to do it and is a good move, that doesn't mean it wasn't done maliciously, either.

And yes, you can claim that he consulted everyone off-screen. But there was absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever. The only person he talked to was Roger, and even he was reluctant and against it for the most part, with the implication being that Don didn't even fill him on the details until they met then and there.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 11:33 PM   #130
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

My point was that he didn't even bother to consult with anyone else before initiating it, likely because he was a bit pissed at having been kept out of the loop previously in the episode. Just because it made sense to do it and is a good move, that doesn't mean it wasn't done maliciously, either.

And yes, you can claim that he consulted everyone off-screen. But there was absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever.
I never make claims like that. I generally stick to what I actually see happen on screen or at least see implied on screen. I leave those "subtext" debates to others.

Although there is on screen evidence that Don was pissed that he wasn't consulted about the public offering, there is no on screen evidence that that is what was behind his idea to do the merger. In fact, everything we see in the scene with Don and Ted indicates that it is all about their anger at once again being marginalized by a large account because they are small firms and the fact that a merger made good business sense -- and not about a personal vendetta.

One can speculate (and it is valid speculation) that Don did it because he was angry at his partners but there is no on screen evidence that shows Don's merger idea was done to spite his partners. Besides, as I wrote, this storyline had been set up two episodes previously, long before Don found out about the public offering.

I still wonder how these people function as a business. Some of the partners plan to take the firm public without telling one of the senior partners, and one of the senior partners agrees to a merger without telling the other partners. No communication and it looks like complete chaos.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:40 AM   #131
UssGlenn
Captain

I assumed that they approached Chevy with the Merged Firms idea and when Chevy agreed, then they started formal merger actions. They would just need to have an informal vote amongst the partners to approach Chevy with the idea.
Old May 10 2013, 02:38 AM   #132
Lord Garth
Captain

Loved everything about the episode. I'm having a ridiculously crazy week, otherwise I'd say a lot more.

The SCDP/CGC merger was a master stroke.

It would be supremely ironic if Abe became an ultra-corporate yuppie in the '80s.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 03:21 AM   #133
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Don's a dick.
Whitman.

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post
I wonder if the Vega will sink what's left of SCDP? The series' end is nearing, so it makes sense that there will be some posturing for that as the season completes.
I don't see why. Like I said before, the Vega was initially quite successful. It was 1971 Motor Trend Car of the Year and sales went up every year through '74. If they follow real life the launch of the car should be a feather in the firm's cap, and they will have moved on to other projects -- maybe with Chevrolet, maybe not -- by the time the car's deficiencies catch up with it.
Agreed. Next season is going to be the last, and they're not going to jump to '77 to see the Vega's death. I don't think the show will make it out of the 60s.

Last edited by Squiggy; May 10 2013 at 03:32 AM.
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 12:10 PM   #134
the G-man
Commodore

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
It would be supremely ironic if Abe became an ultra-corporate yuppie in the '80s.
The "Y" in yuppie stands for "young". Abe will be in his 40s by the time the Reagan era hits.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 04:06 AM   #135
Warped9
Admiral

I found tonight's episode kind of flat, Don's bit of domination role playing notwithstanding. The Bobby Kennedy shooting seemed like it was slipped in as an afterthought.