Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 8 2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Not really, I was Trek-cialized via TNG and like the Phase II story sketches. Not everything in Trek has to boil down to some TOS vs. TNG or "my series is better than yours" fan-fight nonsense ...
It doesn't have to, but it usually does
Old May 8 2013, 07:06 PM   #17
The Keeper
Commodore

Hate to say it but, IMO, with the next reboot Trek will likely lose even more of whatever so many seem to think were the core values lost in the last reboot.

Roddenberry is NOT going to rise from the grave haunting the producers of Trek into reinstating his 'vision', whatever fans think that was.

I felt, despite the changes, ST09 at least had a heartbeat compared to usual Hollywood offerings and I hope to hear that heart beating again amid the shoot-em-up of ID.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 07:07 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ovation wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Full reboot, shed the existing continuity.

Move the timeframe back several hundred years, keep the story centered on Kirk and Spock, put everything else on the table including a possible radical redesign of the Enterprise.
So you want to make it a literal "wagon train", on the Conestoga Class Enterprise?

I meant forward...
Old May 8 2013, 07:25 PM   #19
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I figured as much, but then the image of a Conestoga wagon with weirdly inappropriate nacelles and support struts attached to it (if I had any graphics skills, I'd whip up an example) popped into my head.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 07:32 PM   #20
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

I figured as much, but then the image of a Conestoga wagon with weirdly inappropriate nacelles and support struts attached to it (if I had any graphics skills, I'd whip up an example) popped into my head.
Missing the nacelles, unfortunately, but here's someone's take on it.
Old May 8 2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

I assume it's okay for us non-haters to also post in this thread.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't mind if they slowed down the relentless frenetic pace a bit.

I think I'd keep most of the cast though, they've got good chemistry.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 07:57 PM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Hate to say it but, IMO, with the next reboot Trek will likely lose even more of whatever so many seem to think were the core values lost in the last reboot.
It's hard to say. Certainly if there's ever another TV version it's likely to pick up some cues from oldTrek that are being ignored in the current movies, just as TNG used a great deal more of the content of TOS than the TOS-based movies of the 1979-1986 period did. That said, the pre-Abrams, so-called "Prime Universe continuity" will never be revived as such, no.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 09:12 PM   #23
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Oh yes, I certainly knew about TNG having episodes where the Enterprise's transmissions back to Command (and vice versa) could take days. I just wonder what a film (or tv series, for that matter) would be like if contact with Starfleet Command was so rare that Kirk and crew were essentially on their own. Or, at the very least, they're well aware they're going to have to do everything on their own, with little instruction from Command.

Again, though, I've really enjoyed the Abrams-verse so far!
Old May 8 2013, 10:05 PM   #24
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Missing the nacelles, unfortunately, but here's someone's take on it.

Love the bubbles on the horses.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 11:34 PM   #25
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
Even in TNG's era, it still took hours for a transmission to reach a ship. (See "The Defector")
It's always taken exactly as long as the plot calls for. There are numerous examples of real-time subspace conversations taking place throughout TOS and TNG whenever it was convenient for the writers.
It all depends on "Do we want Picard to interact with Fleet Admiral #25 or do we just want him to listen? What's in the budget?"
Old May 9 2013, 12:48 AM   #26
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

The Keeper wrote: View Post
There's no reason that must be so. Simply the act of rebooting Star Trek doesn't automatically mean it's going to move further away from Roddenberry's original. That may end up being the case, but there's no reason it has to be.

I felt, despite the changes, ST09 at least had a heartbeat compared to usual Hollywood offerings and I hope to hear that heart beating again amid the shoot-em-up of ID.
Can't agree with you there. The FX were great, the acting was mostly good, but a few of the characters came off as parodies of the originals, not serious portrayals (Scotty, in particular). The story was just silly. Another Evil Villain(TM) is out for revenge. More time travel. Lots of shooting. Again, Trek was getting dumbed down long before Abrams got a hold of it, but nothings stopping him from doing better.

The one thing that was refreshing about the last film was that Abrams wasn't afraid to take risks. Destroying Vulcan. Killing Spock's mother. Once Vulcan is gone, you feel like anything can happen in the story. It makes you feel like there are real consequences. It's like with the opening scene of "The Untouchables" where a child is killed. From that point on, you don't feel like anyone in the film is safe.

The film looked fantastic, no question. And it's a fun roller-coaster ride if, like with a "Transformers" movie, you check your brain at the door. Star Trek could do a lot better than that.
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
...the pre-Abrams, so-called "Prime Universe continuity" will never be revived as such, no.
Thank God for that.

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 9 2013 at 03:31 AM. Reason: quote attribution corrected
Hober Mallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 08:16 AM   #27
SheliakBob
Commander

Oh hell. I did this long ago on another Trek forum. Not going to rehash the whole thing here. The short form for my pitch:

TNG film. Drawing on the single idea from the ST09 prelude comics that I really liked, Data is captain of the Enterprise, a much modified but still in her prime E. Brent Spiner still has considerable fan appeal so I'd build around his starring role. Data is an artificial being and should look a little "off" compared to biological humans, which in my opinion makes him an ideal candidate for a CGI motion capture style character. CGI-ing Data removes the main problem of Spiner aging out of the role and effectively keeps Data on the table as long as Spiner is around to do the voice acting.
I'd use any of the other TNG/DS9/VOY actors who could be talked into appearing for modest salaries. Otherwise, replace with new characters and fresh actors to attract fresh blood to the franchise.

Storyline: The androids from "Mudd's Planet" are back and mounting an invasion of Federation space. Their plan, turn every planet into an easy-going luxury oriented Risa. No guns, no bombs, no orbital bombardments, just thousands of androids, all sexy-pretty-young-happy faced and ready to please. It's a Kindness Offensive and the authorities have no idea just how to stop it. Given a taste of android supplied heaven, most of the inhabitants of the "invaded" planets are enthusiastic supporters of the movement.
Cast: Seth Rogan as an uprated Mudd Mk. 2. Quick line to cover recasting for my canonista brethren--Mudd had his original biological body replaced with a new android one when he reached an advanced age and his health failed. Now he is the charming/sarcastic face of the android invasion.
In reality, you know you guessed it..., Lore is behind the whole thing, and really is using the benign invasion plan of Mudd and the Androids to get armies into place so that when he flips a switch and activates their Terminator type programming--the Federation goes up in flames.

Big Finale: Data vs. Lore on/in a ravaged ship decaying out of orbit and headed to a big cratery finish unless the Good Guys can save the day. (total blatant rip off of Revenge of the Sith opener. but hey! people seem to love Star Warsy Trek these days so I 'spect we could get away with it.)

Plan B: Whole new fresh cast playing entirely new characters in the current movie style costumes/sets. no referencing to any specific pre-existing continuity. (Believe they are in the Trek Universe of your choice)--with plot revolving around EXPLORATION--demmit! A new world with challenging new problems and new alien races to discover and interact with. Throw in a Klingon or Romulan villain (or even a way far from home Cardassian--I like that actually) exploiting locals and several Big Alien Monsters for fun toy tie-ins.

Paramount, have your people call my people. We can do lunch and chat.

(oh. quit laughing demmit. snickery bastards. sigh.)
SheliakBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:19 AM   #28
beamMe
Fleet Captain

SheliakBob wrote: View Post
Oh hell. I did this long ago on another Trek forum. Not going to rehash the whole thing here. The short form for my pitch:

TNG film. ...
Stopped reading there.
This "pitch" is dead on arrival.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 11:46 AM   #29
I am not Spock
Commodore

I'm all for another TNG film, but it should be a reboot of TNG, ST 09 style. The Next Gen cast are just too old to carry a movie now.
Old May 9 2013, 01:55 PM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral

Obviously a return to the purity of the Prime Universe. I don't care if it's not commercially viable, it's Star Trek.