Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 4 2013, 08:20 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Sulu was named for the sea

^Whereas it had no problem translating "frequencies," plural. Weird.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 09:14 PM   #32
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
What did you use?
Had a similar problem with hailing, I substituted "calling."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:13 PM   #33
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

I didn't bother with Google Translate, and went directly to four different English/Swahili online dictionaries, including the official one from Kenya. While 'star' may be one potential translation, all four agreed that the first translation was 'flowers'. I ask again, which name do you think GR would have wanted for his Kenyan communications officer, "Flowers(or Star) Freedom" or "Love (of) Freedom"?
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:26 PM   #34
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
which name do you think GR would have wanted for his Kenyan communications officer
The one that translated into "yes I'll get on the casting couch naked because I really want this part."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:26 PM   #35
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I ask again, which name do you think GR would have wanted for his Kenyan communications officer, "Flowers(or Star) Freedom" or "Love (of) Freedom"?
Since he called his American captain and main protagonist "Heel-holder Church of the river Tiber"... I'd say he could have gone either way.
Old May 6 2013, 12:24 AM   #36
Christopher
Writer

I didn't bother with Google Translate, and went directly to four different English/Swahili online dictionaries, including the official one from Kenya. While 'star' may be one potential translation, all four agreed that the first translation was 'flowers'.
Does that matter? If it can mean "star," that's good enough. William Rotsler wanted to give Uhura a first name that meant "Star." That's Nyota. And what's wrong with a word that means both star and flower? I think there's a rather lovely symbolism there.

I ask again, which name do you think GR would have wanted for his Kenyan communications officer, "Flowers(or Star) Freedom" or "Love (of) Freedom"?
First off, he never said she was Kenyan. The series bible says she was "born in the United States of Africa." The Making of Star Trek says she's "a citizen of the Bantu Nation of United Africa." It was the novels The Starless World and Uhura's Song that proposed Nairobi as her birthplace, or perhaps drew on something from fandom.

Second, I don't see how "Star of Freedom" is a bad name in the context of Star Trek. A star, figuratively, is a guiding light, an inspiration. What's more appropriate to Star Trek than using "star" to represent inspiration and hope? For that matter, "Flower of Freedom" works great too. "Flower" is the root of the word "flourish," and the growth and flourishing of freedom is hardly a negative image. The word "flower" can also mean the best or finest example of a group, like "the flower of our nation's youth." Really, these are great names symbolically. Sure, love of freedom is nice, but a bright light inspiring freedom, one who causes freedom to flourish, and the finest exemplar of freedom, all rolled into one -- isn't that even better?

Third, remember, Roddenberry was no linguist. He made up the name "Uhura" by taking the Swahili word uhuru and sticking a Latin feminine ending on it. If he was willing to give her an imaginary, linguistically chimerical surname like that, I really don't think he would've been as picky about her first name as you are.

Old May 6 2013, 12:47 AM   #37
Melakon
Vice Admiral

For a while, my personal theory was Sulu's first name was Napoleon. But that would have been too close to a character from another show also then airing on NBC. This theory was sort of reinforced in "The Enemy Within", when day player Jim Goodwin mangled a line which came out sounding like "Still no word from Mr. Solo, sir."
Old May 6 2013, 05:24 PM   #38
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The one that translated into "yes I'll get on the casting couch naked because I really want this part."
In that case, surely he promised to make her a "star," not a "flower."
Old May 8 2013, 04:07 PM   #39
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
In that case, surely he promised to make her a "star," not a "flower."
Deflowered.

* An asterisk resembles both a star and a flower. And the star inside the command Starfleet insignia. The Sydney-based Star Trek Fan Club (1972-1992) was called Astrex after an asterisk ("little star").

As for GR and NN. Both were asked by the group of US convention fans wanting to use "Penda" in their fanfic, and both were asked by William Rotsler ("ST II Biographies") about the coining of "Nyota", explained as meaning "star". They said yes to both.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 04:18 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

And of course there are flowers called asters because of their resemblance to stars. Plus starflowers, sunflowers, and flowers called sun star and Star-of-Bethlehem. I'm sure it's no coincidence that the same Swahili word is used for both flowers and stars.