Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 7 2013, 03:19 PM   #856
DJ Mike
Ensign

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
DJ Mike wrote: View Post
Deja Q seems to be missing a bit of audio from Worf during the opening teaser, at 1:58, when Riker asks him to "contact all ships in the sector to rendezvous and join us in relief efforts" - he appears to say "Aye, sir" but there's no speech. Not quite sure it's recall-worthy though - but it is obvious!
FYI: This was called out a couple of pages back, it's an original production mistake made back in 1990, it's nothing CBS-D did wrong.
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=749
Ha! Go figure.
DJ Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 05:54 PM   #857
davejames
Vice Admiral

"Who Watches the Watchers" does indeed look amazing in HD, but I have to admit the story doesn't really work as well for me anymore. I just have a hard time buying now that these Mintakins, after leaving behind their supersitions a millenia ago, and who understand astronomy and have the presence of mind to question their beliefs (which puts them a step above many people today), so easily fall back into their primitive ways-- to the point that they're suddenly acting like cavemen frightened of thunder and lightning again.

Surely by that point they would have accepted there could be other beings in the galaxy, who might be more technologically advanced than them. Or that at the very least, they wouldn't assume that these magical powers they had automatically made them the "Overseers".

In the end, I couldn't help but think it would have been much quicker and easier for Picard to simply go down and tell them "Yes, we are creatures from another world, we were watching you, we're so sorry, goodbye." Instead of everything else they did, which just seemed to inflame the situation and make it worse.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 06:28 PM   #858
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
"Who Watches the Watchers" does indeed look amazing in HD, but I have to admit the story doesn't really work as well for me anymore. I just have a hard time buying now that these Mintakins, after leaving behind their supersitions a millenia ago, and who understand astronomy and have the presence of mind to question their beliefs (which puts them a step above many people today), so easily fall back into their primitive ways-- to the point that they're suddenly acting like cavemen frightened of thunder and lightning again.

Surely by that point they would have accepted there could be other beings in the galaxy, who might be more technologically advanced than them. Or that at the very least, they wouldn't assume that these magical powers they had automatically made them the "Overseers".

In the end, I couldn't help but think it would have been much quicker and easier for Picard to simply go down and tell them "Yes, we are creatures from another world, we were watching you, we're so sorry, goodbye." Instead of everything else they did, which just seemed to inflame the situation and make it worse.
Or simply beam Palmer the fuck up and leave a few villagers with a mystery they'd likely never solve and would move on from after a few days.

I agree, Who Watches the Watchers just doesn't work when you move past Picard's big speech about religion.
Old May 7 2013, 06:29 PM   #859
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Speaking of bright, what was up with Troi's lipstick. Beverly might have had the same Lipstick but it was brighter on Troi. Man that was a tad distracting.
Yeah, Troi's waaay OTT lipstick has been commented on before. I really have no clue what the make-up artists were thinking!
The first thing i thought watching it was if they had painted Sirtis' face white, she would have made a good Joker's Wife. It just looked so out of place with everything else.
Old May 7 2013, 06:47 PM   #860
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah the funny thing is I thought Troi actually looked far better and sexier in her Mintakin makeup than in any other episode up to this point. Lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 07:40 PM   #861
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Yeah the funny thing is I thought Troi actually looked far better and sexier in her Mintakin makeup than in any other episode up to this point. Lol
If only they would have taken Season 7 Troi (Or Movie Troi) and put her in Season 3, the character might have been a little more tolorable. I mean I've always liked the outfit (especially the Blue dress) but everything else just felt wrong.
Old May 8 2013, 01:48 AM   #862
TrekAlliance92
Captain

I've been meaning to post my impressions here, but am just now doing it. First, these releases did get covered by a local US TV station. See that here.

Now, I must say the picture is spectacular. The colors truly pop (especially with so many shows/movies filmed in that washed-out, gray style these days), the effect shots are amazing and the new planets are great. I've mainly stuck with my favorite episodes so far like "The Defector," "Best of Both Worlds," and others...and still others I enjoy I haven't had a chance to watch yet.

I've sampled some of the extra features too--the documentary is quite interesting. I knew there was some strife in the writers room, but I had no idea...wow. On the BOBW side, the commentary was quite entertaining--great to hear from Shelby's actress.

I still need to watch about half the episodes and the writer's roundtable. One other cool thing, Amazon refunded me the price difference after my copy shipped--kudos to them!
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 03:08 AM   #863
NewHorizon
Captain

I am curious how that single tear looks in "Sarek" when he cries. That shot always bugged me with how frozen Sarek's face was.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 03:12 AM   #864
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Gag reel - Wil Wheaton has quite the potty mouth.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 03:57 AM   #865
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
-One of the bad things about starting so late is the uniform discussion has probably already come and gone. I did notice the vertical lines but not the horizontal lines. When do the new uniforms come?
Let's see, Picard alone gets it in "Booby Trap", Riker and Geordi get it in "The Enemy", and Beverly switches to a one-piece with a seam down the middle, Worf and Data get it in "The Price", Beverly's uniform loses the seam in "The Defector", and O'Brien gets it when he reappears after several episodes in "The Hunted."

The rest of the crew magically receive them right after Riker gives the order to fire on the Borg cube.
Old May 8 2013, 04:32 AM   #866
Tosk
Rear Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
I am curious how that single tear looks in "Sarek" when he cries. That shot always bugged me with how frozen Sarek's face was.
The animated tear itself looks better than I remember, but Sarek himself remains a still image.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 05:05 AM   #867
trevanian
Rear Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
The way he viewed the "TNG verse" was bad for TV Drama. I think that is where a lot of their criticism comes from. I think it is deserved. People will have conflicts it is in our nature. People are not always going to agree, we aren't a bunch of drones.
-Chris
I don't know. While I understand the frustration of the writers, I've personally always loved the respectful, mature, and professional way the TNG characters acted around each other-- and how there weren't the kind of petty disagreements and soap opera nonsense like we see on every other show.
And yet all of the TNG fans love BOBW, which is about as contemporary and non-enlightened as you can get vis a vis Shelby out to get Riker's job -- pure soap opera, right down to the apparently evil vixen. On first viewing, I remember turning to my then-girlfriend and saying something like they must have had Roddenberry out of the room when they did this one.

It wouldn't have seemed so objectionable to me except for the fact it really ran in the face of all the 'we're so enlightened' platitudes Capt. Baldy kept trotting out (yeah, you can tell I'm not a TNG fan, right? Well, I will admit that I find season 3 to be about as good as I could have hoped for with the show -- probably because they didn't have time to rewrite everything into the ground, from what I've read.)

Season 3 of TNG on BR ... yeah, strange as it sounds, I will probably buy it at some point -- gotta have something to hold me over till DS9 gets remastered (not holding breath on that one!), now that I've got TOS series and features BR'd.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 09:19 AM   #868
Salinga
Captain

The Yesterday's Enterprise commentary is a lot of fun to listen to. RDM is right, this should have been the TNG movie, with the original crew meeting the TNG crew. He was also right and so was Ira this would have made a really cool 2 part episode if they had the time to think this all through, but there was such a lack of time working on scripts this season
The lack of time doesnt seem to be a bad thing. AGT was also written in a hurry, while GEN took one year. I guess if you have no time, the writers and producers dont question bold moves in a story so much, so instead of taking them back/smoothing them out, they are left in and as a result the story has some edges that make it special.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 09:24 AM   #869
Dream
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
yeah, you can tell I'm not a TNG fan, right?
Good for you?
Old May 8 2013, 09:40 AM   #870
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Now I am up to the commentary on Sins of the Father. Man, that opening ship shot in this episode really sucks.
I'm just now listening to this. It's interesting that right off the bat Dan Curry misidentifies this shot as original and not CG. He's asked by Mike Okuda to give details about the shot and he says something to the effect of, "The Enterprise is the 4-foot miniature built by Greg Jein and the bird of prey was built by ILM for Star Trek III."

Now, while it's true this shot was done by CBS Digital for the Next Level sampler disc before Curry was brought aboard the Blu-ray project for S2... and he's probably confusing it with the same shot he re-supervised for "A Matter of Honor" which does in fact have the original miniature elements in it... it's still wrong because that was the 6-foot Enterprise miniature and not the 4-footer (because that wasn't built until S3) and "Sins of the Father" just originally used that S2 shot. But he should know all this because he was the VFX supervisor for both episodes back in the day and the shot should be fresh in his mind from S2. He should have said, "Wait a minute... that's not the shot we just worked on. What is this crap? That looks terrible!"

But of course, CBS Digital decided not to replace the shot with the found elements from S2 and instead retained Max Gabl's digital matte with the CG ships.

If only there were an image on the internet that was from TNG which properly expressed exasperation.