Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 8 2013, 04:03 AM   #391
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Unicron wrote: View Post
Perhaps I'm being too nitpicky then, but I guess in some cases I don't really see how what's been briefly recapped has any relation to the current episode's plot. I can see where they used the fight footage from the pilot to reference Ulysses' connection with the Tarr family, but they could have not shown that and it would be perfectly clear from the episode's dialogue.
The reminder doesn't hurt, though. Besides, recaps are a standard thing these days. Shows are no doubt structured to allow room for about a minute of backstory, so they have to put something in, and naturally it's going to be whatever's available that connects to the story.

Back in the '70s, when episodes were usually completely self-contained, it was common for a number of shows to begin with about 30-60 seconds of previews of the upcoming episode. While modern recaps are mainly about refreshing the viewer's memory, they can also serve a similar purpose to those old previews, I think: namely to give the viewer a taste of what the subject matter of the upcoming story will be, a "hook" to pique their interest. And maybe both types of opening serve as sort of a buffer in case viewers are delayed in switching to the right channel, or need time to get settled in on the couch and focus their attention on the screen.

Given that I think both the recent episodes dealt with similar themes - namely, the alien characters trying to fit in and gain respect to some extent (or not, going from the previous episode ), why not show some of the clips in the mine when Irisa was trying to talk her opponent down? That would have segued nicely into Datar's feeling that he deserves more respect and influence in Defiance.
That seems far too vague a connection. And to what end? Just to favor the immediately previous episode over earlier ones? Why is that even a thing to aspire to? The point is to remind viewers of plot points they may have forgotten or fill them in on relevant events from episodes they may have missed. I don't see how "We've explored a similar theme before" is something viewers need to be reminded/informed of, unless they're doing a critical analysis or something.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 04:15 AM   #392
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The "previously on "blank"" recaps are hopefully for casual viewers, and not morons who can't tell their ass from their elbow. But frankly how in-depth the "previously on" is, is an indicator on how little to amazingly little the producers thinks of it's audience.

Can you blame them? They are making stories for douche bags who in theory will see a 30 second motion picture of a 30 thousand dollar car and then feel compelled to buy that 30 thousand dollar car immediately. I mean fuck it but that's stupid like a cat chasing a laser pointer spot in circles stupid. This is comparable to taking advantage of the mentally ill.

Advertising is evil and should be stopped.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 04:25 AM   #393
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

What is this advertising you speak of?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 04:44 AM   #394
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I really have no idea.

Stealing TV does have it's advantages.

Old May 8 2013, 10:27 AM   #395
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

The more Amanda and Kendra the better. I don't think I was paying attention that much because I thought I missed a part where Kendra and her friend escaped. I liked the bioman character as well, and the little bit at the end where Nolan has a little dig at Datak's wife.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 11:44 AM   #396
teacake
Admiral

Amanda is totally boring! She's just all beige. Beige hair, beige clothes, beige lust for Nolan, beige jealousy, beige office.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 8 2013, 11:52 AM   #397
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

But Julie Benz is radiantly beautiful

Old May 8 2013, 12:32 PM   #398
Christopher
Writer

For future reference, Amanda's sister's name is Kenya, not Kendra.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 12:39 PM   #399
teacake
Admiral

I bet she was always like, "HAHA you got the boring name and I got the cool name and that's why I'm gonna be a madam and you're gonna be a mayor!"

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 8 2013, 12:54 PM   #400
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
For future reference, Amanda's sister's name is Kenya, not Kendra.
Ah yes, for some reason I wrote Kenya first then I changed it.

Old May 8 2013, 01:43 PM   #401
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In the beginning on Buffy the Vampire Slayer she was so beautiful I didn't notice what a ham she is.

Miss Benz is still gorgeous, but it's been 17 years since Julie was dressed as a naughty school girl in the pilot to Buffy and I'm building a mild tolerance.

Also, if you're watching Scandal, which is just like Greys Anatomy if you swap spies and politics for medicine and mansluts (Because they're both produced by the same woman.) one of the contingent plots to that story is also focussing on a town called Defiance, so I'm finding it hilarious whenever they're shouting about the moral ambiguity of what happened in Deiance, or that what happened in Defiance will haunt the country forever...

Old May 8 2013, 02:42 PM   #402
The Wormhole
Admiral

Pretty good episode. We seem to be getting something of an ongoing mystery with whatever the hell is in the restricted area of the McCawley Mine, Datak and his wife are getting increasingly manipulative and increasingly interesting. Datak showing Nolan around and explaining the people was a pretty cool scene, as was the end when Nolan finally figures out the wife (what is her name?) is the real power in the Tarr family.

The Bio-man even gets some interesting development this week. Despite the fact he's a near unbeatable brute, it seems he is somwhat simple-minded. Not simple-minded as in a complete idiot (though I doubt he is very smart) but simple-minded in that all he really wants is to spend time with his friend Robin Dunne. A shame both were killed, that would be a firendship that would be interesting to watch.
Old May 8 2013, 03:04 PM   #403
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
Amanda is totally boring! She's just all beige. Beige hair, beige clothes, beige lust for Nolan, beige jealousy, beige office.
It's Julie Benz. Your argument is invalid.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 10:02 PM   #404
jayceee
Commander

This week's episode seemed ok. Somewhat better than the previous two episodes.

But overall, my interest has been waning somewhat on this show. I'll dvr the next several episodes (or maybe even the rest of the season) to see whether things get better or not.

At the moment, most of my regular tv shows will be finishing their season runs over the next several weeks. Besides Defiance and Continuum, there's not much else on the summer tv schedule which has caught my interest so far.

Last edited by jayceee; May 9 2013 at 03:26 PM.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 10:13 PM   #405
Mister Fandango
Captain

I felt the same way about Farscape when it first started airing. The premiere had a lot of interesting ideas, but the first half of the season was pretty poor. I didn't even like most of the characters (with the notable exceptions being Crichton and Rygel). Then it hit its stride and became one of my all-time favorite series, and I'm hard-pressed to think of a single character I didn't like at least somewhat. Grayza is about the only one, in fact, and even she had some interesting potential.

Defiance seems to be the same way so far. Cool premise, promising potential, and characters I don't really care that much for (with the notable exceptions of Irisa and Datak and Stahma Tarr). There's clearly a metaplot developing, and I'd like to know more about the whole Votan story post-crash, so I'm willing to go through a few more medicore episodes just on the off-chance that the same thing that happened with Farscape happens here, too.

It's not like the story or characters are blatantly awful, unlike say Revolution, so it's definitely worth a try.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote