RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 442
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 3 2013, 10:40 PM   #61
horatio83
Commodore

Re: Uhura - A message from Harrison & first look at Klingon with no he

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
horatio83 wrote: View Post
Great post which shows that all the varities of Klingons do not actually differ that much.
I think that nuKlingon differs a lot from the others. From TMP onwards all the Klingons were easily recognizable as Klingons, but this one could be just some random alien. Aside from the Klingon logo he's wearing, there is nothing Klingon about him. Even the helmets looked more Klingon!

I actually liked the idea with the helmets ... you could easily tell they were Klingons and the whole topic of redesigning the Klingons had been avoided alltogether. Perfect solution!
I agree, this would have been better, cheaper and would have fans have wondered whether they are "smooth" or "crunchy".
Old May 3 2013, 11:32 PM   #62
Christopher
Writer

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I got in a minor debate with someone on Facebook about this last night. He sees this Klingon as being reptilian looking. I do not see it all. Than he admitted he could accept the rest its just eyes that really bother him.

Once again its goes to the human varieties. Maybe its because usually we have seen Klingons with dark eyes. So this seems different to some???
Let's remember that Roddenberry was glad to completely redesign the Klingons for TMP, and asked fans to accept that they'd really looked that way all along and the makeup on TOS just hadn't been up to depicting it. Just imagine how the fans in 1979 must've felt. It was an adjustment, but we got used to it. And this redesign is minor by comparison.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 11:34 PM   #63
controlfreak
Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Starting canonically with ENT
Yes. In the JJ Trekverse, ENT is the only thing that happened. That pleases me to no end on so many levels.

Old May 3 2013, 11:45 PM   #64
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

controlfreak wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Starting canonically with ENT
Yes. In the JJ Trekverse, ENT is the only thing that happened. That pleases me to no end on so many levels.

One more reason to completely ignore Abramstrek.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 12:01 AM   #65
controlfreak
Commander

And yet you feel compelled to post here. Don't you have better ways of expending your energy?
Old May 4 2013, 12:34 AM   #66
marksound
Fleet Captain

Looking at those pics, if you squint you can almost see ridges on the TOS Klingons. Not the clean shaven extras, the main characters.

Back in 79 I was excited to see that they had made the Klingons look more alien.

I showed the screen cap of the new Klingon to my non-Trekkie wife and she said, without hesitation, "Klingon?". Say what you will, but people will get it.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 03:30 AM   #67
T J
Commodore

DarthTom wrote: View Post
The new Klingons remind me of Drac in Enemy MIne

First thing I thought.
Old May 4 2013, 07:15 AM   #68
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I got in a minor debate with someone on Facebook about this last night. He sees this Klingon as being reptilian looking. I do not see it all. Than he admitted he could accept the rest its just eyes that really bother him.
I don't know why, but the first thing I thought of when I saw this nuKlingon was Jem'Hadar.

And yes, I also think that his eyes are completely off.
Old May 4 2013, 02:38 PM   #69
Christopher
Writer

It seems to me that changing the eye color is an an incredibly minor adjustment compared to the many previous changes in Klingon design we've seen. Let's see...
"Errand of Mercy": "Alien Mongol" look with brown-green pancake makeup, short hair, bifurcated eyebrows; all Klingons clean-shaven except for Kor and his lieutenant, who wore goatees (more or less).

"Friday's Child": Completely human-looking, with full beard, short hair.

"The Trouble With Tribbles": Still human-looking; goatees on featured Klingons, but some background Klingons beardless.

"A Private Little War"/third season: Back to the dark makeup and bushy eyebrows; goatees and short hair still standard on males, though some extras in "Day of the Dove" have just mustache or soul patch, and at least one is clean-shaven.

ST:TAS: Stylized version of finalized TOS look. Female Klingon with thinner brows, afro-style hair.

ST:TMP: Major redesign: head bald on top, single massive vertebral ridge extends along middle of head; bridge of nose also ridged. Beards, bushy eyebrows retained. Hair medium-short and backswept.

ST III: Single row of vertebrae replaced with wide bony plate, individualized for each Klingon. Noses now smooth. Long-haired look debuts. Female Klingon (Valkris) has much subtler ridges.

ST:TNG/DS9/VGR/ENT (debuting 1987): Much like ST III design, but restoring TMP-style nose ridges. Female ridges now just as pronounced as male, except in hybrids (and in abortive female-Klingon design seen briefly in "Hide and Q," with narrow ridges bifurcating full head of hair).

ST V/VI (debuting 1989): Similar to STIII, but with subtler, less protruding forehead plates. Noses smooth. Females again have very subtle ridges, and Chang barely has any. Long hair and various beard designs still standard, though Chang is bald with slight mustache.

STID: The one Klingon we've seen so far has a cranial plate and ridges similar to the previous three designs, though perhaps a bit more bulbous and with subtler ridges. His eyes seem unusually light, though it's hard to be sure. He is bald and clean-shaven, though reports suggest that others have hair. Ears and (by one report) ridges are pierced, adorned with rings.

The Klingon look has been evolving for decades, and this isn't any more radical than the changes we've seen before. It's still just a variation on the basic design template that's been standard since 1984. The only real novelties are the eye color (apparently) and the piercings and masks.

Last edited by Christopher; May 4 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 4 2013, 02:55 PM   #70
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
ST:TAS: Stylized version of finalized TOS look. Female Klingon with lighter skin, thinner brows, afro-style hair.
TAS Klingon females had lighter skin than the males, really?
Old May 4 2013, 02:56 PM   #71
Christopher
Writer

^Good catch. I was going by screencaps from a Google image search, and I guess the differing image quality misled me. It's been fixed.

Old May 5 2013, 11:24 AM   #72
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I don't know why, but the first thing I thought of when I saw this nuKlingon was Jem'Hadar.

And yes, I also think that his eyes are completely off.
That's it! I thought of the Jem'Hadar too when I first saw the picture. Even though I don't care much for the masks, I have to agree with the view that it might have been better to just leave the masks on.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:21 PM   #73
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Let's flip this the other way would you have been upset when he took off his helmet and there were no ridges ??? personally I like it we all know as Star Trek fans and people that don't follow Star Trek Klingons is a common word and the appearance does not matter. on the other hand the producing staff have kept there word and shown us the Klingons without there helmets is this new movie. I've watched a interview with Kurtz and Oric this morning and when it come to making this 2nd movie they listened to fans on how kirk got his command so quickly and apparently pike mentions this in the new movie.?
Old May 7 2013, 11:24 PM   #74
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

Ahh who cares. Besides, it not like 50% of the cast actually look like their 60s TOS counterparts.

So the Klingons look different, again.

Anybody thought that these Klingons are from a different continent on Qo'nos to the 'common' Klingons were used to? I have an open mind and I don't mind at all.

They look badass.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 12:23 AM   #75
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Where's the picture from the movie that introduced the bumphead look?

The Klingons have varied enormously from movie to movie to tv show. Hell, by DS9 Worf doesn't look anything like he did in "Encounter At Farpoint."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote