RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,345
Posts: 5,353,907
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 549
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 7 2013, 06:41 PM   #166
Stoo
Captain
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Location: Into The Crypts of Rays
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Skeptical of that last assertion also.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 07:02 PM   #167
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

It's true. I've never seen a shooter take more than about two or three seconds to change magazines when they had a magazine change as part of the drill, and a good shooter does it in less than a second. Some are good enough to where you barely detect the pause in the shots during aimed fire.

The Newtown shooter reportedly changed magazines frequently, leaving a trail of them, and changed them long before he needed to (he was leaving half-empty ones behind him). It's speculated that he did so because he was used to video games where the screen will flash "reload" long before a magazine is depleted.

In a situation where 30 rounds are aimed and fired, changing magazines once versus changing them five times (six rounders) is going to add about two to four seconds to the elapsed time (going from about 20 seconds to 22, 23, or 24 seconds total). Our murder rate was much worse when people were still using revolvers.

Our first school massacre was done with tomahawks and knifes, I think leaving only one survivor. Our worst school massacre was an inside job by the caretaker, done with explosives carefully placed over a sixth month period.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 07:23 PM   #168
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

A lot can happen in those few seconds.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 08:55 PM   #169
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Squiggy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
Yes actually people do have to hunt for their own food still.
Not in big enough numbers to matter or be statically relevant.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 11:57 PM   #170
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

gturner wrote: View Post
Italy used to have fatal stabbings daily, and Italian women didn't want to date a man who wasn't good in a knife fight. The stabbings would occur between diners in cafes, in bars, between old men playing checkers. Knife control wouldn't have solved the problem because they also killed each other with barstools, lamps, and broken bottles. They just liked to fight to the death at the drop of a hat as a matter of honor.
Of course, you have a source for that. Because otherwise, we would have to think that you pulled it out of your arse. Again.

gturner wrote: View Post
It's true.
As a matter of fact, almost nothing that you say is.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 12:01 AM   #171
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

farmkid wrote: View Post
I have no problem with making guns for kids. I learned to shoot as a young child, as did my siblings, and my in-laws. Building guns that fit a child's shorter arms is fine. A kid who grows up shooting and learning proper safety practices will be safe as an adult as well. I've seen plenty of adults (go find pictures of some of our politicians crusading against guns for some examples) who were downright scary with a gun because they had no idea how to handle one because they were never taught. It's easier to teach a child than an adult.

The problem here isn't the existence of such a gun; the problem is giving a 5-year old their own gun. Even more of a problem is the fact that the gun was sitting in the corner with a bullet in it. There are two major problems right there and that's what these parents should be brought up on charges for. If a parent buys a gun for their kid, it is absolutely incumbent upon them to store the gun properly and never have it anywhere the kid can get access to it without adult supervision and the kid absolutely must be taught and be able to demonstrate proper safety practices before the gun is ever loaded.
This. Well said.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 12:35 AM   #172
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
Italy used to have fatal stabbings daily, and Italian women didn't want to date a man who wasn't good in a knife fight. The stabbings would occur between diners in cafes, in bars, between old men playing checkers. Knife control wouldn't have solved the problem because they also killed each other with barstools, lamps, and broken bottles. They just liked to fight to the death at the drop of a hat as a matter of honor.
Of course, you have a source for that. Because otherwise, we would have to think that you pulled it out of your arse. Again.
Iguana, surely you're not implying that you know more about behavior in Italy than he does, are you?
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 01:40 AM   #173
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

gturner wrote: View Post
It's true. I've never seen a shooter take more than about two or three seconds to change magazines when they had a magazine change as part of the drill, and a good shooter does it in less than a second. Some are good enough to where you barely detect the pause in the shots during aimed fire.

The Newtown shooter reportedly changed magazines frequently, leaving a trail of them, and changed them long before he needed to (he was leaving half-empty ones behind him). It's speculated that he did so because he was used to video games where the screen will flash "reload" long before a magazine is depleted.

In a situation where 30 rounds are aimed and fired, changing magazines once versus changing them five times (six rounders) is going to add about two to four seconds to the elapsed time (going from about 20 seconds to 22, 23, or 24 seconds total). Our murder rate was much worse when people were still using revolvers.

Our first school massacre was done with tomahawks and knifes, I think leaving only one survivor. Our worst school massacre was an inside job by the caretaker, done with explosives carefully placed over a sixth month period.


Sources and links, dear....or you get no hard candy or Freedent.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 01:57 AM   #174
Finn
Vice Admiral
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Location: In the MetroWest
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
There are many different reasons for gun control in some of the bigger northern cities. Some of it was from a culture clash where people from down South, who are extremely friendly but sometimes react to serious insults with lethal force, moved up north where people aren't as overtly friendly to strangers and like to hurl insults all day. The simplest solution was to disarm all the blacks....
Just a bit of stereotyping, don't you think? Northerners may (or may not) tend not to be as friendly as southerners, but the vast majority don't "hurl insults all day." In fact, I don't know anyone who hurls insults all day. And, yes, I grew up in the north and still visit family and friends there.
I think the whole "friendly" thing is BS. I lived in Louisiana for almost a year. I've lived in Cincinnati, DC area and New England. I think those places are more friendly than Baton Rouge.

I'd use the word nice more than friendly to describe most people I knew down there. I don't miss it though. I don't even check their news outlets. I still check washingtonpost.com and cincinnati.com time to time
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 02:14 AM   #175
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
Italy used to have fatal stabbings daily, and Italian women didn't want to date a man who wasn't good in a knife fight. The stabbings would occur between diners in cafes, in bars, between old men playing checkers. Knife control wouldn't have solved the problem because they also killed each other with barstools, lamps, and broken bottles. They just liked to fight to the death at the drop of a hat as a matter of honor.
Of course, you have a source for that. Because otherwise, we would have to think that you pulled it out of your arse. Again.
Iguana, surely you're not implying that you know more about behavior in Italy than he does, are you?
Apparently he's shockingly ignorant about the subject, even though scholars have written books on the subject, famously breaking the homicides down by relationship, weapon type, lethality, and every other aspect that could be teased from all the police reports and court documents.

Such is part of a long series of studies of historical European homicide rates, such as this one (pdf). Europeans kept records of criminal cases, from which we learn a great deal. Italy in particular was studied because it was among the last countries to have its homicide rates fall from medieval levels to modern levels (a big S-curve that took centuries to drop rates from 30 to 70 per 100,000 to 1 to 3 per 100,000).
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 02:38 AM   #176
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Sources and links, dear....or you get no hard candy or Freedent.
That was discussed in the PBS Frontline two-part special on Adam Lanza, and on CNN. Four of his "spent" magazines were found to contain 10, 11, 13, and 14 rounds remaining (plus one in the chamber in the last one that held 14-rounds). He was swapping when they were 1/3 to 1/2 full, self-limiting his magazine capacity.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 06:44 AM   #177
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 09:50 AM   #178
Stoo
Captain
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Location: Into The Crypts of Rays
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

gturner wrote: View Post
It's true. I've never seen a shooter take more than about two or three seconds to change magazines when they had a magazine change as part of the drill, and a good shooter does it in less than a second.
Not talking about drills here. Or assuming every crazy school shooter is going to be an expert or function so well in the crisis situation he's created.

I wasn't really talking about overall murder rates, but at any rate rather a lot else has changed since the days of six-shooters so that doesn't tell you a lot.

And it's probably a fallacy to assume every crazy gun shooter will, if he can't be so well armed with guns, will carry out a massacre with explosives. Some will, yeh. But we're not talking perfect solutions here, just what steps can be taken.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 10:26 PM   #179
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

gturner wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Of course, you have a source for that. Because otherwise, we would have to think that you pulled it out of your arse. Again.
Iguana, surely you're not implying that you know more about behavior in Italy than he does, are you?
Apparently he's shockingly ignorant about the subject, even though scholars have written books on the subject, famously breaking the homicides down by relationship, weapon type, lethality, and every other aspect that could be teased from all the police reports and court documents.

Such is part of a long series of studies of historical European homicide rates, such as this one (pdf). Europeans kept records of criminal cases, from which we learn a great deal. Italy in particular was studied because it was among the last countries to have its homicide rates fall from medieval levels to modern levels (a big S-curve that took centuries to drop rates from 30 to 70 per 100,000 to 1 to 3 per 100,000).
Of course, that's starkly different from what you said earlier. While I don't spend my days deeply fascinated by murder, weapons, and violence, even my untrained eyes can see the difference between a scholarly discussion about homicide rates in medieval history and a slanted narrative about those knife-crazy Italians, full of hyperbole and soaked in stereotypes. But that's exactly what we have come to expect from you.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 06:25 PM   #180
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Social differences by region can be rather perplexing. Maybe that's why I don't get where gturner is coming from.

About 8 years ago, I had a work duty assignment in Atlanta GA (I'm from the NY area... a "Yankee"). I was working with a bunch of guys who were born and raised in the local area. We got along great at work. But then a few days into the assignment, when we went out for dinner together, someone decided to bring up The Civil War as a discussion topic. It was focused towards me, specifically. They were curious to know if I was aware of why the war "really" happened.

Uhhhh.... OK. Well, of course I began to sense what they were on about. There's a vast number of people in the North who think the Civil War was all about slavery, when in fact slavery was only part of it. It was really about economics, and of course eliminating free labor meant a huge economic impact, something that would much more greatly affect the South. So, I kind of played along a bit. They were looking to find me as one of the stereotyped northerners and then have an opportunity to educate me.

In any case... WTF? Who the hell cares at this point? The Civil War is the past, a long ago done deal. We've moved on. Nobody who was alive then is alive today, and any lingering gripes about it have long since faded away (obviously not completely, but enough to be inconsequential).

BUT, these guys were still "into it"... I don't get it. And maybe that's why I don't get why people from the rural southern states wouldn't have any problem buying a gun made for a 5 year old kid and teaching him how to use it. It's not like there's a manpower shortage for hunting food. Most shooting these days is done for sport. SPORT. Not defense. Not for necessary sustenance. So, teaching a child to use a dangerous weapon is not a necessity. Sure, a carefully raised obedient and mindful child may be capable of learning to use a gun and never misuse it. BUT, I'd say that's an extreme exception. Laws are for the majority, not the exceptions. And that's a fact.
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.