Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old May 7 2013, 11:47 PM   #121
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Neroon wrote: View Post
Interesting stat - the Bulls have a 9-8 record against the Heat since the "Big 3" came together.
THAT is impressive. I'd be willing to bet that no other team has a winning record against the Heat in the last 2 years.

In the upper echelon's of the NBA playoffs, upsets are extremely rare. When they do happen though, many times it is in the first round. Could we be seeing another Warriors-Mavs or Nuggets-Sonics? God, I hope so. I'm not really hating on LeBron and the Heat, it would just be so cool.
Old May 9 2013, 12:13 AM   #122
gblews
Rear Admiral

Ominous stat lines for the Thunder in game 2 (the important one):

R. Jackson - 10 pts on 3-8 shooting in 30 min.
K. Martin - 6 pts on 2-11 shooting in 29 min
D. Fish - 19 pts. on 6-9 shooting in 26 min

And no James Harden to pick up the scoring slack. Trouble with "depth" is that it is great until you actually have to use it.
Old May 9 2013, 12:19 AM   #123
Dream
Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
Interesting stat - the Bulls have a 9-8 record against the Heat since the "Big 3" came together.
The Bulls are the Heat's kryptonite.
Old May 12 2013, 12:46 AM   #124
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

For fuck's sake, Durant, you miss both free throws that could pull your team within 2 with a minute three seconds left?

No excuse. Absolutely zero excuse for that and I won't make excuses for him. He's far too accustomed to pressure. Missing both is unacceptable for a player of his caliber. After Jackson's offensive foul on the previous possession when he could have passed it to Fisher to go in for the shot and tie up the game, maybe Durant said "fuck it" and gave up. No excuse.

If I didn't know that Ibaka and Martin were capable of scoring effectively I wouldn't be so pissed off about it. They were both pitiful offensively and no, I still don't think the Thunder should have gone 24 million over the luxury tax and mortgaged the future to keep Harden. Harden sure as hell didn't help during the finals last season.

One thing's evident. The Thunder won't win a championship with Perkins at center.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old May 12 2013, 07:38 PM   #125
gblews
Rear Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
They were both pitiful offensively and no, I still don't think the Thunder should have gone 24 million over the luxury tax and mortgaged the future to keep Harden. Harden sure as hell didn't help during the finals last season.
This kind of thinking is why the Thunder's championship will probably remain "in the future".

What you miss without Harden this season, is a player who can score and make up for the loss of Westbrook. Last season with Harden, the Thunder had 3 players who commanded a double team and who at various times depending on the competition, were virtually unstoppable on offense. Most of the elite teams have only one of those players, two at the most.

With Durant and Harden, the Thunder would still have been a very formidable offense, but without Westbrook AND Harden, they are a middle of the pack offense facing a tough defense that is able to guard the rim. With Harden, the Thunder had a championship combination. That no longer appears to be the case. It is about winning now -- who the frack cares about "the future".

But they are by no means out of this series yet -- we'll know after game 4.

If the Thunder does lose this series, Scottie Brooks' seat on the bench is going to start heating up. And if that happens it will be more fall out fron the Harden situation.
Old May 13 2013, 06:37 AM   #126
Borgminister

Break out the Geritol, Spurs!
Old May 14 2013, 08:05 AM   #127
Dream
Admiral

Looks like the Bulls and the Thunder are done...
Old May 14 2013, 09:26 AM   #128
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

And if that happens it will be more fall out fron the Harden situation.
No, it won't. His seat may heat up, but it is *not* from the Harden situation. Sam Presti fully approved of trading Harden. He encouraged it. He wasn't going to mortgage the future for the present. You're not here. You don't understand Presti's mindset. If Brooks seat gets warm, it's because he plays Perkins too god damned long and didn't go with a smaller line up against Miami in the finals last year. It isn't because he traded James Harden. People have dealt with that and moved on.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old May 14 2013, 08:20 PM   #129
gblews
Rear Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
And if that happens it will be more fall out fron the Harden situation.
No, it won't. His seat may heat up, but it is *not* from the Harden situation. Sam Presti fully approved of trading Harden.
No, the point I'm making is that a team's failure can only haqppen so many times before the blame falls on the head coach, whether it actually is his fault or not. It happens even after the GM trades the team's second most valuable player as in this case. It doesn't matter that it was Presti's decision (or the owner or whoever) to trade Harden, even if it was over Brooks' objections. What will matter is if the perception becomes that the Thunder won't win a championship under Brooks.

The reality is that the Thunder (with Harden and Westbrook) had a championship team together that might have challenged the Heat this season and probably next, with more Finals experience and more incentive. That "championship potential" was traded, "for the future". Now they have to start over trying to put together that champioship puzzle -- one that was very likley already solved -- all they had to do was shell out the money.
You're not here.
It's the NBA Dorian, believe me, "I'm there".
Old May 15 2013, 08:27 PM   #130
gblews
Rear Admiral

Spurs have realized that they aren't going to beat the Warriors playing the Warriors' game. Now that they have, an have started to play defense kinda like they used to, Mark Jackson's team is in trouble. The Warriors missed their chance last night in game 5. But I still believe this one is going 7 with the Spurs winning.

Last edited by gblews; May 15 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old May 17 2013, 09:01 AM   #131
Borgminister

Geritol Plus!
Old May 17 2013, 05:54 PM   #132
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Well, time to see if the Grit n' Grind can handle the Spurs. I'm thinking... yes. But they're crafty old bastards.
Old May 19 2013, 12:12 PM   #133
Neroon
Mod of balance

What is the NBA's stance on concussions and when a player may return to action? I heard a quick snippet on the radio the other morning, about George Hill's concussion and whether he'd be able to return for the Pacers. It sounded as if he wouldnt' have a chance to play again until the next round... yet he played last night.
Old May 19 2013, 08:34 PM   #134
gblews
Rear Admiral

^^According to an NYT article, the NBA concussion policy includes pulling a player from all competition and he must pass a "battery" of tests before being allowed to return to competition. Apparently there is no set number of games or days off in the policy. So Hill must be a fast healer.
Old May 22 2013, 07:44 AM   #135
Borgminister

Three full days of rest for the oldsters...
Closed Thread