RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,687
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 561
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 7 2013, 09:20 PM   #5896
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
There's probably a better place for this, but I didn't see one. It's kinda related ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-uN-EyEjM
That was surprisingly good.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 09:29 PM   #5897
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Again, I have to ask why people think the director has so much influence...
Because people have some basic knowledge of how such films are made.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 09:44 PM   #5898
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Just drop it. It's not worth it.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 09:52 PM   #5899
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

Krik5555 is in good hands with My Name is Legion.
Old May 7 2013, 10:50 PM   #5900
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Just drop it. It's not worth it.

A Superman facepalm? God bless you!
Old May 8 2013, 01:40 AM   #5901
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Didn't the Byrne/Post Crisis Superman do some wandering before donning the cape? I think he and Bruce Wayne even "wandered" into the same place once.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 01:55 AM   #5902
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Byrne invented the idea of Clark wandering the Earth before he became Superman. It kind of bugs me that people credit Mark Waid's Birthright for this element.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 02:03 AM   #5903
Gojira
Commodore

^ The idea of Superman srtruggling with who he is or even wandering certainly is not a Christopher Nolan idea. Even the very first episode of the Adventures of Superman with George Reeves show Clark struggling with what to do with himself and his powers.
Old May 8 2013, 02:46 AM   #5904
Aragorn
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Admiral Young, you may as well try to talk to the wall. He clearly has made up his mind and closed it firmly. Nothing is going to disabuse him of his prejudices about this film and its various makers.
Just wait until he watches Man of Steel ten times with the intent to find things to validate his stance. That will be fun.

Also, I added Zack Snyder's name to the tags, so case closed!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 03:03 AM   #5905
marksound
Fleet Captain

Superman The Movie showed a young Clark leaving the farm to find himself. The Salkinds just chose to skip ahead to the scene where he throws the crystal and creates the Fortress.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 07:53 AM   #5906
Aldo
Admiral

As much as I'll give Snyder credit for working on a Watchmen movie that actually made the story something i could get through...
No wonder you don't like Nolan's Batman films, you have an aversion to quality stories. It's OK, I'm sure it will just be a phase and you'll be able to enjoy quality storytelling again.
Old May 8 2013, 09:52 AM   #5907
Mike Farley
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Didn't the Byrne/Post Crisis Superman do some wandering before donning the cape? I think he and Bruce Wayne even "wandered" into the same place once.
Yup. Ma Kent even kept a scrapbook of disasters that didn't quite happen--Clark acting as a guardian angel even pre-Superman. A scrapbook that caused some trouble when Lex Luthor came sniffing into the connection between Superman and Clark.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 05:39 PM   #5908
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Henry Cavill in F*** Magazine:

Chris Nolan wasn't there during the production itself, although I'm not sure how much work was done behind the scenes. I'm sure Zack had a phone call or two with him, but this is definitely Zack's baby. He was the man in charge, and we created the character together, as opposed to having too many outside influences.
Old May 8 2013, 06:57 PM   #5909
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Aldo wrote: View Post
As much as I'll give Snyder credit for working on a Watchmen movie that actually made the story something i could get through...
No wonder you don't like Nolan's Batman films, you have an aversion to quality stories. It's OK, I'm sure it will just be a phase and you'll be able to enjoy quality storytelling again.
Yes, because disliking one story means I hate all "good" stuff. I guess the fact that I really like the majority of Alan Moore's other comic stuff that I've read (V for Vendetta, The Killing Joke, The League of Extrodinary Gentlemen, Top 10) doesn't matter, because I dislike one of his more popular works .

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Yup. Ma Kent even kept a scrapbook of disasters that didn't quite happen--Clark acting as a guardian angel even pre-Superman. A scrapbook that caused some trouble when Lex Luthor came sniffing into the connection between Superman and Clark.
Ugh. I really like John Byrne, but his Superman origin seems like something I wouldn't be interested in. I'll stick to his Marvel work.

Also, just because it was mentioned earlier as something I needed to watch before saying I truely hate Nolan , I watched Inception yesterday. While I may be very stubborn sometimes, but i'm not going to lie. I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best movie ever, but by how I rate movies its a solid 8 out of 10. I liked the concept, the characters were done well, and it had some cool visuals and action. The very end scene was really annoying (it was unneeded ambiguity at that point, personally I go with the ending being real) and it had a few other flaws but besides that it was entertaining from beginning to end, and even had a twist with the main character and his wife that I actually took me by surprise. Not perfect, but a good movie I'd watch again. So, Nolan's 1 for 5 with me. I guess this does mean its technically possible for him to be involved in a good Superman movie, but one success doesn't mean I'm a Nolan fan, or that I'll forget his horrible stuff. I do plan to watch Memento next, just to see if its any good.

So, there you go. I still think Man of steel will suck, but I guess I have to admit it is possible it may be good.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 07:04 PM   #5910
Aldo
Admiral

You should see Memento now, I'd really like to hear your comments on that one as it's what made me like Nolan (though I'd be the first to admit I'm not a Nolan fanboy).