RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,884
Posts: 5,329,590
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 518
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 6 2013, 10:29 PM   #1
gastrof
Rear Admiral
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Location: New Vulcan
If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Would you warn them that V'ger was going to take Ilia?

(I got a copy of the "special longer version" in the mail today, and have it running as I type. And yeah, I'm especially enjoying it. Been a long time.)
__________________
Trek:
Onscreen is canon, books are interesting. Movies change canon, scissors wrap paper...or...something.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 01:02 AM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

The refit occurred before Ilia was taken and before V'Ger arrived. How could anyone warn anyone of that?
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
How could anyone warn anyone of that?
Yeah. This is a situation like all those Twilight Zone style episodes trying to warn everyone the night Lincoln gets shot. You'd either be locked up as a lunatic, or arrested as a conspirator.

Or you somehow wind up shooting him yourself.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 06:13 AM   #4
gastrof
Rear Admiral
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Location: New Vulcan
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The refit occurred before Ilia was taken and before V'Ger arrived. How could anyone warn anyone of that?
You're right. The refit took place before the V'Ger incident and before Ilia's being taken.

That's why I said you'd be on the Refitrpise. See how that all fits together?

Now...I'll go slowly...listen carefully...

The question was if YOU found yourself ON THE REFITPRISE DURING TMP...

That's right...YOU. On...come on...you can do it...on the refit Enterprise during the period/events of TMP...

YOU...uh huh...YOU...would YOU warn them, knowing as you do what's coming, that V'ger was going to take Ilia?

Would you make the effort? If so, why? If not, why? If so, how? Who? When?

See how all this works? It's a kind of game, a thinking game, and to play it you have to pay attention and get the question/situation that's presented...and most of all...you have to think.

Come on, dude. I mean, really. It wasn't that hard an OP to pick up on. Did you really need it to be spelled out like this, or are you just giving me/us a hard time?
__________________
Trek:
Onscreen is canon, books are interesting. Movies change canon, scissors wrap paper...or...something.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Disregarding insulting a commenter's intelligence, how do you gain the information that Ilia is going to be killed?

You: Captain! V'ger's going to digitize Lieutenant Ilia!
Kirk: Who are you? How did you get on my ship? Where did you get this information?
You: I already watched the movie!
Kirk: Security!
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 07:03 AM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

gastrof wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The refit occurred before Ilia was taken and before V'Ger arrived. How could anyone warn anyone of that?
You're right. The refit took place before the V'Ger incident and before Ilia's being taken.

That's why I said you'd be on the Refitrpise. See how that all fits together?

Now...I'll go slowly...listen carefully...

The question was if YOU found yourself ON THE REFITPRISE DURING TMP...

That's right...YOU. On...come on...you can do it...on the refit Enterprise during the period/events of TMP...

YOU...uh huh...YOU...would YOU warn them, knowing as you do what's coming, that V'ger was going to take Ilia?

Would you make the effort? If so, why? If not, why? If so, how? Who? When?

See how all this works? It's a kind of game, a thinking game, and to play it you have to pay attention and get the question/situation that's presented...and most of all...you have to think.

Come on, dude. I mean, really. It wasn't that hard an OP to pick up on. Did you really need it to be spelled out like this, or are you just giving me/us a hard time?
Real classy. Perhaps you would like to kick a puppy while you're at it?
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Easy. Make small claim after claim to prove yourself.
Don't start with Ilia.

Tell them right before they encounter it what kind of power output the cloud represents.
Give Spock the hint to look for radio signals.
Tell them to answer it BEFORE Ilia gets digitized.
Tell them to communicate to V'ger about knowing the creator before everything almost goes south.
Get inside and transmit the final sequence.

if that fails, tell V'ger to assimilate Ilia and mate with Decker, as that was the only thing that satisfied V'ger anyway and tell Kirk, "Sorry, shit happens"
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 01:34 PM   #8
xvicente
Commander
 
xvicente's Avatar
 
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

I can't think of nothing that could save Ilia. She was zapped when the plasma probe came to examine the bridge and no one could prevent that.

The fact Spock smashed the keyboard (thus logically disabling the entire computer system ) and got a quick shock therapy might have something to do with the zapping, -- or not.

After that point I could tell "V'Ger is Voyager 6" and maybe shorten the movie. But then again, that could cause Vger to zap the Enterprise and Earth. Not good.

Then the problem of convince someone I'm form the past but know the future. It could cause the abramsverse to form even weirder.

What I probably would end doing is call Ilia and say "Hey hottie, you'll die tomorrow. Wanna have snu-snu for the last time?"
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.

Last edited by xvicente; May 7 2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: I have a good reason.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 02:33 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

gastrof wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The refit occurred before Ilia was taken and before V'Ger arrived. How could anyone warn anyone of that?
You're right. The refit took place before the V'Ger incident and before Ilia's being taken.

That's why I said you'd be on the Refitrpise. See how that all fits together?

Now...I'll go slowly...listen carefully...

The question was if YOU found yourself ON THE REFITPRISE DURING TMP...

That's right...YOU. On...come on...you can do it...on the refit Enterprise during the period/events of TMP...

YOU...uh huh...YOU...would YOU warn them, knowing as you do what's coming, that V'ger was going to take Ilia?

Would you make the effort? If so, why? If not, why? If so, how? Who? When?

See how all this works? It's a kind of game, a thinking game, and to play it you have to pay attention and get the question/situation that's presented...and most of all...you have to think.

Come on, dude. I mean, really. It wasn't that hard an OP to pick up on. Did you really need it to be spelled out like this, or are you just giving me/us a hard time?
Wow, somebody needs to get out of their house more.


I can't help that you came up with a rather flawed idea. Don't get all mad and pissy at me for that.

EDIT: Hell, my question still stands, "How can anyone on the refit Enterprise know in advance that Ilia was going to be kidnapped by V'Ger?" They didn't even know who the hell V'Ger was or what it wanted. Now you think about that.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."

Last edited by C.E. Evans; May 7 2013 at 02:46 PM.
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:20 PM   #10
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Here's the scenario ...

"Lightning storm in space??? I gotta get to the bridge!"
"Slow down! Let me give you this shot!"
"THTOPPIT!"
"You got numb tongue? I can fix that."
"OW! THTOPPIT!"

Something like that.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:22 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

^^^
I guess that's the only true answer to this thread.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

gastrof wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The refit occurred before Ilia was taken and before V'Ger arrived. How could anyone warn anyone of that?
You're right. The refit took place before the V'Ger incident and before Ilia's being taken.

That's why I said you'd be on the Refitrpise. See how that all fits together?

Now...I'll go slowly...listen carefully...

The question was if YOU found yourself ON THE REFITPRISE DURING TMP...

That's right...YOU. On...come on...you can do it...on the refit Enterprise during the period/events of TMP...

YOU...uh huh...YOU...would YOU warn them, knowing as you do what's coming, that V'ger was going to take Ilia?

Would you make the effort? If so, why? If not, why? If so, how? Who? When?

See how all this works? It's a kind of game, a thinking game, and to play it you have to pay attention and get the question/situation that's presented...and most of all...you have to think.

Come on, dude. I mean, really. It wasn't that hard an OP to pick up on. Did you really need it to be spelled out like this, or are you just giving me/us a hard time?
gastrof, we don't insult people's intelligence like that here. And we don't try to lure someone into a fight. Infraction for trolling, comments to PM, please.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Galileo7
Fleet Captain
 
Galileo7's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.A.
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

gastrof wrote: View Post
Would you warn them that V'ger was going to take Ilia?
Yes, however security would probably escort me to the brig.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:31 PM   #14
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Let's think cause and effect for a moment. Let's suppose you somehow are on the Enterprise with foreknowledge of what will happen. Let's say you even manage to persuade Kirk of this. So Kirk does something to prevent Ilia from getting beamed away.

Did anyone stop and wonder what happens then? V'ger doesn't have their mouthpiece on the Enterprise to negotiate with. It's very possible they decide a ship full of "carbon units" is more trouble than it's worth and just purge it. Especially after they terminated their means of contacting them by stopping them from absorbing Ilia.

So by saving Ilia, you don't save her for long, and you doom the whole planet Earth. Congratulations.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 11:24 PM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

You wind up making the situation worse, even with divine knowledge of the future.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.