Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 6 2013, 03:27 AM   #1
_C_
Commander

Doctor Mora's influence on Odo.

I'm not talking about the experiments. We already know all about that. I mean on a more interpersonal level. Children often take after their parents or whoever raised them. I've been watching close now, and I've noticed quite a few of Odo's mannerisms mirror Doctor Mora's. I got quite a giggle from it. Here's some photographic evidence.

Old April 6 2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Doctor Mora's influence on Odo.

I wouldn't be surprised if James Sloyan did it on purpose.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:39 AM   #3
_C_
Commander

Me either, but I think it's really interesting. I can't help wondering if Odo does it unconsciously or if he knows and just doesn't care. I know I have a lot of my mom's mannerisms, and I don't realize I'm doing them until I catch myself. >>;
Old April 6 2013, 04:43 AM   #4
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mora was his model for the humanoid form. They act alike, they even look alike. Makes perfect sense they had Mora's actor mimic Odo's mannerisms to demonstrate this paternal bond.
Old April 6 2013, 05:33 AM   #5
_C_
Commander

He's had more of an influence on Odo than Odo cares to admit.

It makes me sad when people say Doctor Mora is a creepy abusive jerk. He gets condescending sometimes, and he can be arrogant and stubborn(GEE WHERE DID ODO GET IT? lol), but he's not abusive.

I'm still trying to figure out tumblr, but my friend (a guy named "Moosey") showed me a post where somebody totally tore Doctor Mora up like he was some kind of villain. I just found it and I'll quote it and what Moosey said in reply behind spoiler tags. They're pretty long and I found them interesting. What does everyone else think of the argument below?

Old May 7 2013, 05:54 AM   #6
Mr_Homn
Captain

James Sloyan is one of the best recurring Trek actors ever. I wish he was utilized more.
Old May 7 2013, 07:40 AM   #7
lurok
Commodore

Ditto. That's one of my favourite DS9 episodes, as is his S1 VOY ep with Neelix. Sloyan seems to bring out the best in his co-stars. I like the fact that he didn't try use any of the usual actor-bag-of-tricks to make either of his characters sympathetic
Old May 9 2013, 04:21 AM   #8
Mr_Homn
Captain

lurok wrote: View Post
Ditto. That's one of my favourite DS9 episodes, as is his S1 VOY ep with Neelix. Sloyan seems to bring out the best in his co-stars. I like the fact that he didn't try use any of the usual actor-bag-of-tricks to make either of his characters sympathetic
His role as Admiral Jarok in TNG is one of the best guest performances in that show's history IMO

He was great as Future Alexander too.
Old May 9 2013, 07:24 AM   #9
_C_
Commander

He was also the voiceover on some Lexus commercials, I think. :P Any excuse to geek out!

I think he made Mora Pol out to be really interesting just because of the influence he's had on Odo. I wish he'd been on the series more. Oh well, that's what fanfiction is for.

ETA: What's interesting is they almost cast Rene Auberjonois in the role of Mora ala Brent Spiner as Soong, but for some reason they chose not to and Mora's role was expanded a little as a result.
Old May 9 2013, 09:48 PM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
His role as Admiral Jarok in TNG is one of the best guest performances in that show's history IMO

He was great as Future Alexander too.
I knew he was Jetrel and Future Alexander... never realized he was Jarok though. Best Romulan ever! Shoot, this guy should've gotten a long term role like Dukat/Weyoun/Damar/Martok/Nog with all the great roles he's played!
Old May 9 2013, 09:52 PM   #11
_C_
Commander

^ http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/James_Sloyan

This guy is everywhere.
Old May 10 2013, 04:18 AM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I see Mora as somebody who didn't realize what affect he had on Odo. He was angry that Odo saw him as a captor rather than a father, but then he realized, he kind of acted like a captor.

Mora wanted appreciation for helping Odo develop into who he was, but he didn't realize that having absolute power over somebody is inherently offensive to that person no matter how you apply that power. I saw genuine remorse when he came to that realization.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 08:41 PM   #13
_C_
Commander

I tend to write him in fanfics as wanting to heal that rift and feeling a lot of regret for not realizing sooner how much he'd hurt Odo.

It was a great dynamic on the show. Wish we could've seen more of it.
Old May 10 2013, 09:28 PM   #14
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I really loved the Mora and Odo parts of the Terok Nor trilogy.

Mora may have been Odo's captor, but he was also a captive himself.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 06:06 AM   #15
Anwar
Vice Admiral

They both had something to learn about their behavior. Mora learned that Odo didn't exactly appreciate all that Mora put him through, but eventually Odo came to realize that Mora really did care about him and how painful it felt to have someone you cared about simply walk out on you and shut you out of their life (not exactly what happened with the Baby Changling, but the feeling of loss was similar).

By the end of "Begotten" they've both finally come to terms with one another and were able to form a proper bond (pun intended).
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote