Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 143 19.32%
A 160 21.62%
A- 99 13.38%
B+ 82 11.08%
B 58 7.84%
B- 27 3.65%
C+ 40 5.41%
C 38 5.14%
C- 24 3.24%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.73%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2013, 01:28 AM   #1156
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: STID: The first sign that Abrahms is NOT infallable [-> G&D]

yenny wrote: View Post
ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Infern0 wrote: View Post
although this time it's even worse as J.J did not have to worry about the core fanbase buying tickets.
JJ will not be getting this fan's money.
Then you're not a true Star Trek fan.
A true Star Trek fan is in it because they enjoy it. Only zealots are concerned with keeping score.
Old May 7 2013, 02:35 AM   #1157
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
The funny thing is, I don't think younger crowds are having as much trouble as some of the old timers enjoying all versions of Trek.
People who are presented with all these versions as already existing are a lot less likely to perceive the earlier versions being of better quality than later ones. For the most part, it's only folks who've invested themselves emotionally in an older version who have trouble with the newer ones.

Lots of younger people prefer TNG to TOS, for example.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:19 AM   #1158
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Franklin wrote: View Post
Amen, brother! My youngest daughter was six when ST09 came out. She was ambivalent about it because Daddy (who dresses like Captain Kirk on Halloween) liked it. But she went around saying, "I like this ship, you know, it's exciting!" for about a year after the movie. And my oldest, who's 13 now, has a crush on Chris Pine going back to "The Princess Diaries". She saw ST09, and she won't admit it, but she's not saying, "Dad, I'm waaaay old enough to stay home alone," when I say, "Let's all go see STID," either. They want to like it. (My wife? She's a lost cause. Liked TVH, thought ST09 was "fine." That's about it.)

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
I am so looking forward to this movie. i waited four years for this and i'm going to the enjoy it regardless of what you naysayers say. only 9 more days for the sneak peek here in the US and 11 days until it's released for reals
You're post reminded me of what the late great Orioles announcer Chuck Thompson used to shout into the microphone in the first inning of every opening day of the baseball season: "AIN'T THE BEER COLD!" Hell yeah. Get excited. It's either going to fun at worst and REAL fun at best, I think.

You other folk (you know who you are): Haters gonna hate.
yeah i can't wait to see it with my pop. i may be 23 years old but i still love going to the movies with my dad. makes me feel like a kid again.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:38 AM   #1159
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Speaking of younger crowds... A young lad I work with is looking forward to catching STID this week. Loved the trailer. Reckons he'll have to watch "the first Star Trek movie" beforehand.

'The first Star Trek movie' to my ears brought to mind The Motion Picture and VGer. No! Don't start with Vger! Of course he meant the 2009 reboot. He knew I was a fan and told me he hadn't seen any of the others. I asked if he liked any of the series - Nope. Not no, he didn't like them, but no, he had no real clue about them. I rattled off all the names to no avail. He had a vague awareness of Star Trek and that there had been more than one television series over the years. But he's 17, and for him, Star Trek IS the reboot.

I was also speaking with another co-worker (a young girl, this time) about what was on at the movies and mentioned STID. She blew me away when she said she was going with her friends. This 18 year old chick who seems a run of the mill sort for her age wants to go see a Star Trek movie? Well, evidently one of the 'lead guys' is really hot and they love him in something else. She couldn't name him, but methinks it's Pine or Cumberbatch.

Point being, this girl and her friends wouldn't have been caught dead going to say... Nemesis. As a fan of Trek for the better part of two decades, this is the first time I've found my niche interest shared with ... shall we say, more *normal* people. It's refreshing.

48 hours and counting ...
Old May 7 2013, 06:30 AM   #1160
SpHeRe31459
Captain

StarMan wrote: View Post
Point being, this girl and her friends wouldn't have been caught dead going to say... Nemesis. As a fan of Trek for the better part of two decades, this is the first time I've found my niche interest shared with ... shall we say, more *normal* people. It's refreshing.
Yep, that's how I look at it too.

This isn't the Trek I really want, but it's quite entertaining and it gets all kind of people to pay attention to the name Star Trek again (or for the first time). I love that my little 9-year old brother in-law (my wife's father remarried and had more kids) was psyched about the 2009 film and is psyched about this one. He was raised on The Clone Wars cartoons and SW in general, so he wasn't all that interested, or exposed to, Trek before it was rebooted and became a big thing again.

I was at the gym the other day and Into Darkness was heavily featured during TNT's basketball coverage. It's quite satisfying to see what used to be a very geeky thing that would never be targeted to that demographic, suddenly targeted to them. I even noticed people lookup from their workouts to watch it.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 07:31 AM   #1161
Cadet49
Lieutenant Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
The funny thing is, I don't think younger crowds are having as much trouble as some of the old timers enjoying all versions of Trek.
People who are presented with all these versions as already existing are a lot less likely to perceive the earlier versions being of better quality than later ones. For the most part, it's only folks who've invested themselves emotionally in an older version who have trouble with the newer ones.

Lots of younger people prefer TNG to TOS, for example.
The Next Generation is almost 30 years old, and started in the 1980s, so while I agree it might be preferred by some younger people to TOS, it still looks very "dated" in terms of the effects and story pacing, compared to the new Abrams version of Trek - TNG is the choice of their dads' generation - it's "old school", I think... :-)
Cadet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 07:51 AM   #1162
Cadet49
Lieutenant Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/enterta...ss-film-review

But JJ Abrams knows that great sci-fi isn't simply about space ships - it's about great characters. When the IMAX camera isn't taking in a planet-sized action scene, it's cut close to the actor's faces - for a film about strange new worlds, Into Darkness is remarkably intimate. The Enterprise crew are excellent again, from Simon Pegg's wisecracking Scotty to Zoe Saldana's Uhura, but it's Kirk and Spock's on-screen chemistry that steals the show. And while there's plenty of nods to the series keep Star Trek fans happy, Abrams has once again managed to make the franchise accessible for those new to the series. As Spock says, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - a tip to blockbuster directors everywhere.
Exactly - Sci Fi fiction needs to modernize to stay relevent to the current audience - tastes evolve, as does technology. Growing up in the 1980s, I loved TOS and TNG, but now when i watch them, they seem very much representations of a certain audience of the decade they were created in - the 1960s and the 1980s. I love seeing how my favorite TOS characters are being reinterpreted for a modern audience!
Cadet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 12:01 PM   #1163
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Anyway, so for a mild rant if you will all indulge me. I am concerned that this movie is basically some kind of Michael Bay meets a big melting pot of Trek fanfic. I mean Section 31 is a TNG-era invention (DS9 specifically), Khan was the obvious fan bait (which even in-and-of-itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, just sort of annoying that's who it is since we all knew it), and the hands on each side of the transparent glass imagery and other clear homages (or direct copies depending on how you look at it), etc. tell you what they're going after.
Hi there,

I must admit I am not quite clear on your concern here? Is it Michael Bay mixed with fanfic? In a way, yes. It's edge of your seat, visually-stunning action mixed with the character interaction and relationships that fans enjoy and have written about for years, mixed with some reflections on terrorism, our attempts to combat it, and where we cross the moral line between defence and revenge. That sounds like the best of all worlds to me.

I'm also annoyed that Spock Prime is even seen again, it really seems like this Spock has thrown his temporal common sense out the window.
I like the fact that they are showing such respect for the original cast. Nimoy looked considerably older five years down the track from our last glimpse of him, and Shatner may never agree to appear. These actors, sadly, won't be around forever. How many more opportunities will the franchise have to embrace them?

Shouldn't he be picking an out of the way place with the new Vulcan population and keeping out of history's way? It appears he is not doing this.
I assure you, he is doing exactly that. But confronted with the prospect of you-know-who, and actively asked about him, he compromises his promise to stay out of things and advises extreme caution.

While it would be another spoiler for me at this point I'd like to know what his role in Into Darkness is. Since it seems he may have tipped people off to the existence of Khan, either said or unsaid on screen, it seems like that's the only way they would know (aside from a pure random chance encounter with the Botany Bay).
They explain how the Botany Bay was found, and why they were looking. Spock Prime has nothing to do with it.

It sure seems like this version of Spock just started a total brain dump of what he knows from the late-24th century of the Prime universe to give a leg up to the new universe's 23rd century Starfleet.
No, he hasn't done this.

I would think reminding us of Spock Prime would just make for an awkward reminder that this all has been done before in some shape or form, instead of letting it all just stand on its own.
That depends on whether you like the resonance and sense of fate and destiny between the two timelines (in the way the same characters are drawn together and the universe tries to heal itself) or whether you want a completely new and disconnected story. And that, of course, is up to you. Me? I like a little resonance, as long as it's not overused. It was a little overused in the climax of this movie, for me. I probably would have pulled back a little on the mirroring.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 02:02 PM   #1164
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I can't wait for this movie; I think it looks great.

That said...if you find stuff like Abrams's Star Trek movies and all the other expensive noisy summer movies enervating and/or discouraging as far as the state of current film, here's a far more cogent examination of what's going on than you're going to find in the whinging around here or on any of the popular Internet movie sites:

Soderbergh on cinema

tl;dr? Your loss.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 11:20 PM   #1165
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Thanks for great responses gornsky
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 12:08 AM   #1166
Flake
Commodore

This thread is gonna take off big time in about 18hrs when the first midnight showings finish! First it will be a trickle of grades & reviews... then a torrent when UK/AU/NZ/DE opening midnights & days begin fully !

It is close to the end of the beginning!

Are you ready for the workload M'Sharak?
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 12:45 AM   #1167
StarMan
Vice Admiral

A few more solid reviews trickling in on RT. Creeping back up to 83% (24/5).
Old May 8 2013, 12:55 AM   #1168
Borgminister

It'll be a warmup for the 50th anniversary movie.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 01:25 AM   #1169
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Brand new IMAX theater now open! Officially lists STID on May 15th. I am now going to be seeing it that day with 6 people. :-)

RAMA
Old May 8 2013, 01:29 AM   #1170
RAMA
Vice Admiral

StarMan wrote: View Post
A few more solid reviews trickling in on RT. Creeping back up to 83% (24/5).
Rolling Stone calls it spectacular.