Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6 2013, 06:19 PM   #121
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Why was Rebecca Hall, half way through, talking about how she had to obey "The Master" as if the Mandarin was real when she was alone with Guy Pierce?
She may not have known the truth about Trevor, and figured there was some real Mandarin.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:55 PM   #122
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I loved the way they handled it. Trevor was brilliant and totally unexpected.
There is no way in a movie in 2013 fianced with so much Chiense money that we could have had the full Fu Man Chu mustache Asian sterotype and not have the Politically Correct world catch on fire.
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 07:07 PM   #123
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I just find it odd that people respond as if the caricature Fu Man Chu original 60's version of Mandarin was expected. Was the only serious route possible.

The character has evolved like others over the decades. It may be that the Chinese co-financing is to blame for us getting a Mandarin in name only. They may have had a clause saying that in no form will a Chinese man be the serious bad guy. Shame really cause The Mandarin deserved to be taken seriously and the notion that Killian was also actually Mandarin, while working within the movie, is just weak.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 07:14 PM   #124
The Keeper
Commodore

We went to a matinee in hopes of beating the crowds, didn't happen. We wound up in a 95% sold out 3-D screening so audience noise often interrupted the show but I still managed to have a rollicking good time. Beat IM2 by a mile.

Above Average.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 07:19 PM   #125
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
--I also thought that too much time was spent with Tony being completely cutoff from his technology and friends.
Yeah the movie was really pushing the "back to basics, cut off from the world" idea, but I'm not sure I totally bought it.

I mean, this isn't the 1930s. All Tony had to do was make a quick phone call and a private plane could have flown him back home. And are we really supposed to believe he kept ALL his suits at his mansion, and didn't keep any stowed away elsewhere in case of emergencies (like say at the Stark Tower in NY)??

Hell, he can fit a suit in a freakin suitcase; you'd think he'd have 3 or 4 of those tucked away in different places.

sonak wrote: View Post
The "comes when he calls" Iron Man suit makes it way too easy-it's almost like magic now, like Thor's hammer or something.
Agreed. I realize this is a superhero movie, but it still strains credibility to see him popping in and out of suits in seconds now, with just a simple wave of the hand. Or to see the suit magically transforming over his body.

What was cool about the first movie was you got the sense these were pieces of real mechanical engineering that could almost exist in our world. And that you actually needed a bunch of assembly line robots to bolt the thing onto you.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 07:21 PM   #126
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The wife and I both enjoyed it.
Old May 6 2013, 07:29 PM   #127
Rhaven
Captain

I saw IM3 over the weekend. Above average from me as a review. I do have to say, I enjoyed this one much more than IM2, but not as much as IM1.
Old May 6 2013, 07:55 PM   #128
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I just find it odd that people respond as if the caricature Fu Man Chu original 60's version of Mandarin was expected. Was the only serious route possible.

The character has evolved like others over the decades. It may be that the Chinese co-financing is to blame for us getting a Mandarin in name only. They may have had a clause saying that in no form will a Chinese man be the serious bad guy. Shame really cause The Mandarin deserved to be taken seriously and the notion that Killian was also actually Mandarin, while working within the movie, is just weak.
I love that no one's even mentioned the implications of Maya Hansen's "demotion" in terms of the plot. I sense Lapis would have a field day given how the original comic (which is miles better than any Marvel move to-date) treated her.

Keeping her as the actual villain would have actually made things far more interesting, given how Tony has treated women (both familiar and public) over the course of three films.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 07:57 PM   #129
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Handling the Mandarin the way they did was all the writers' idea; it had nothing to do with any 'political correctness' sensitivity.
Old May 6 2013, 08:17 PM   #130
sonak
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post

Handling the Mandarin the way they did was all the writers' idea; it had nothing to do with any 'political correctness' sensitivity.

riiiight. Because of course the writers would admit it if they WERE influenced by such considerations...
Old May 7 2013, 01:31 AM   #131
The Wormhole
Admiral

I enjoyed it. It was an entertaining movie that doesn't try to be anything else. It wasn't pretentious with a message or any crap like that. You walk in expecting to see in a robo-suit fight some bad guys, that's exactly what you get. But while it wasn't some pretentious attempt at being artistic, it also wasn't mindless and pandering to idiots. The proper way a pop-corn flick should be.

It's as good as the first Iron Man, and better than the secoond, which in all honsety just felt like a two hour trailer for The Avengers.

The movie had some great one-liners, and Ben Kingsley's character ends up being hilarious as the movie goes on. It was good to see they managed to have a kid befriend Tony Stark without being annoying, or more accurately his annoying traits were actually an intended part of the character. Still, "dads leave, don't be a pussy about it" was an awesome line. Mind you, I never once believed that Pepper was actually killed.

On the complaint end, it didn't really feel to organically fit with the other two the way those two fit together, or other movie trilogies do. But I'm of two minds on that. It can be a bit irritating, but then it probably best to make these movies as stand alone as possible, especially given it and all the other Marvel movies aside from the Spider-Man and X-Men series are all interconnected and part of the same continuity.
Old May 7 2013, 01:57 AM   #132
JD
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
--I also thought that too much time was spent with Tony being completely cutoff from his technology and friends.
Yeah the movie was really pushing the "back to basics, cut off from the world" idea, but I'm not sure I totally bought it.

I mean, this isn't the 1930s. All Tony had to do was make a quick phone call and a private plane could have flown him back home. And are we really supposed to believe he kept ALL his suits at his mansion, and didn't keep any stowed away elsewhere in case of emergencies (like say at the Stark Tower in NY)??

Hell, he can fit a suit in a freakin suitcase; you'd think he'd have 3 or 4 of those tucked away in different places.

sonak wrote: View Post
The "comes when he calls" Iron Man suit makes it way too easy-it's almost like magic now, like Thor's hammer or something.
Agreed. I realize this is a superhero movie, but it still strains credibility to see him popping in and out of suits in seconds now, with just a simple wave of the hand. Or to see the suit magically transforming over his body.

What was cool about the first movie was you got the sense these were pieces of real mechanical engineering that could almost exist in our world. And that you actually needed a bunch of assembly line robots to bolt the thing onto you.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised that there was no mention of Stark Tower in IM3. It played such a huge role in Avengers that you'd think they would have worked some kind of a mention in this movie somewhere.
As for the suits, doesn't alot of that come from the comics?
Old May 7 2013, 02:14 AM   #133
Dream
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I realize this is a superhero movie, but it still strains credibility...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtntTvuv8Aw

But seriously, I do agree with you that the suits did seem a bit more realistic in the first IM1. I wish we had Tony explaining to Pepper how he had implanted magic nanotechnology into his blood to able to call parts of his suits to him, instead of just implying everything.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 02:23 AM   #134
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^I was under the impression that they were subcutaneous implants that served the same function as the bracelets that summoned his mobile suit in The Avengers.

But I missed the fact that we didn't get one good glory moment of Tony in a definitive, fully-functional suit kicking ass. What we got was a malfunctioning prototype and a musical suits climax.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 02:34 AM   #135
Snaploud
Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
"There were a lot of WTF moments in this movie. For instance, Tony was willing to face a terrorist strong-hold without armor (using make-shift weapons from Home Depot), and we later find out that he has 41 suits ready to go at a moment's notice."

I think this was explained in the movie. It took awhile for Jarvis to get fully operational again, and for the construction crews to clear enough wreckage to uncover the opening to the Iron Vault.
yeap, Jarvis definitely updates Tony saying that the wreckage has been cleared away.
Fair enough. Though, I wonder why Tony didn't just hire more people to speed up the wreckage-clearing. He obviously had access to funds.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote