IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 4 2013, 04:06 AM   #151
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

It looks like Japanese writing in that picture, I wonder if they'll tie this in with that earthquake and tsunami and the damage to nuclear plants.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 02:48 PM   #152
Christopher
Writer

I'm still hoping that this movie won't be a complete reboot, but will acknowledge the events of the original 1954 film, the way virtually all other Godzilla movies have done. (Even the '98 American version implied that the Japanese had prior experience with a giant reptilian monster named Gojira.) So I don't really want a new origin story for the big guy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 01:25 AM   #153
Gojira
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm still hoping that this movie won't be a complete reboot, but will acknowledge the events of the original 1954 film, the way virtually all other Godzilla movies have done. (Even the '98 American version implied that the Japanese had prior experience with a giant reptilian monster named Gojira.) So I don't really want a new origin story for the big guy.

Since the original Godzilla died at the end of the movie I fear we will be getting an origin story...but I do agree with you. I hope they tie it into the first film.
Old May 7 2013, 01:26 AM   #154
Gojira
Commodore

New pict on Ain't It Cool News...FEMA relief for those affected by Godzilla's rampage. This does mean that at least some of the film will be set in the US.

Old May 7 2013, 01:34 AM   #155
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Gojira wrote: View Post

Since the original Godzilla died at the end of the movie I fear we will be getting an origin story...but I do agree with you. I hope they tie it into the first film.
The original Godzilla dying at the end of the first movie didn't hinder any of the other 27 Toho Godzilla movies from being sequels of that first movie. They could very well go the route of "Godzilla 1984" or most of the Millennium series and simply not address Godzilla's death, but still addressing his rampage through Tokyo in 1954.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 01:36 AM   #156
Christopher
Writer

Since the original Godzilla died at the end of the movie I fear we will be getting an origin story...
Not necessarily. Godzilla Raids Again and the Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla/Tokyo SOS duology simply had a second member of the Godzilla species show up. GMK stated (and G vs. Megaguirus implied) that the original Godzilla had only been nearly killed and had a '90s-Wolverine-like ability to regenerate if any part of him survived. And The Return of Godzilla apparently just had Godzilla show up without explanation -- and later films in the same continuity gave mixed messages about whether it was the original (G vs. King Ghidorah) or a second one (G vs. Destroyah).

Old May 7 2013, 01:40 AM   #157
Gojira
Commodore

The writers have stated that Godzilla will have origins in this movie. They are tying the origins to some nuclear event although it will not be bomb testing.
Old May 15 2013, 08:22 PM   #158
Gojira
Commodore

Godzilla's economic footprint to dwarf all others

Interesting little article on how the budget for this movie is the most ever spent on a Godzilla movie.

http://www.richmondreview.com/news/207465601.html

Also, from what I have read elsewhere it seems that San Francisco will be the city where Godzilla makes landfall.
Old May 15 2013, 10:28 PM   #159
Christopher
Writer

Interesting little article on how the budget for this movie is the most ever spent on a Godzilla movie.
That wouldn't surprise me in the least, but it's not what the article's saying. It's saying that the local economic impact of this shoot in Richmond, British Columbia, a part of the Vancouver metropolitan area, will be 10 times greater than that of the many, many TV series that shoot in the Vancouver area, because it's a bigger production. The item is about the benefit to the local economy, not the budget of the movie (although the two are related).

Also, from what I have read elsewhere it seems that San Francisco will be the city where Godzilla makes landfall.
Suddenly I'm hoping for a Godzilla/Mythbusters crossover. Can Grant build a robot to stop Godzilla?

Old May 16 2013, 02:58 AM   #160
JD
Admiral

Interesting. I believe the first, or at least first US, Kaiju attack in Pacific Rim is in San Francisco too.
Old May 16 2013, 03:14 AM   #161
Christopher
Writer

San Francisco was also attacked by a giant monster (courtesy of the late Ray Harryhausen) in 1955's It Came From Beneath the Sea, just a year after the original Godzilla. In fact, the giant octopus in that film was irradiated and driven from its normal feeding grounds by the exact same Marshall Islands nuclear tests that drove Godzilla from his (and that inspired the making of the film in the first place).

Old May 16 2013, 03:44 AM   #162
Gojira
Commodore

Here is a clip of a scene being filmed.

http://vancityfilming.com/godzilla-v...rom-steveston/
Old May 16 2013, 03:47 AM   #163
Gojira
Commodore

San Francisco was also attacked by a giant monster (courtesy of the late Ray Harryhausen) in 1955's It Came From Beneath the Sea, just a year after the original Godzilla. In fact, the giant octopus in that film was irradiated and driven from its normal feeding grounds by the exact same Marshall Islands nuclear tests that drove Godzilla from his (and that inspired the making of the film in the first place).
I wonder if the writers chose San Francisco as some type of homage to one of the inpiration for Godzilla?
Old May 16 2013, 03:58 AM   #164
Christopher
Writer

^As I said, ICFBtS came out the year after Godzilla, so the movie itself was not an inspiration. Rather, the two films were independently inspired by the real-life phenomenon of the Marshall Islands H-bomb tests.

Old May 16 2013, 04:11 AM   #165
Gojira
Commodore

^As I said, ICFBtS came out the year after Godzilla, so the movie itself was not an inspiration. Rather, the two films were independently inspired by the real-life phenomenon of the Marshall Islands H-bomb tests.
Sorry, I misread your post!