Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 6 2013, 12:28 AM   #586
Christopher
Writer

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

^I believe the model actually had only five limbs. It's sometimes called the "Quintopus." Although the creature in-story was presumably supposed to have eight limbs; we just never saw them all at once.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 12:37 AM   #587
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Night of the Comet (1984) - 4:15am
Is this any good? I've never seen it, but I remember that Catherine Mary Stewart was in it, and I've always liked her.
I'm also curious about this one. Robert Beltran is in it, too, and I've been meaning to watch it on Netflix for ages, but have never gotten to it. Anyone seen it?
And Mary Woronov, a mini-Eating Raoul reunion.

Man, I watched this many times growing up, it was an HBO staple at one time. I thought the leads were cute as a young'un. I think it's a fun movie but not necessarily essential as sojourer says. It's very 80s for better and worse, almost like a John Hughes apocalypse movie.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 09:23 AM   #588
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Night of the Comet (1984) - 4:15am
Is this any good? I've never seen it, but I remember that Catherine Mary Stewart was in it, and I've always liked her.
The only thing I remember about it is that Catherine Mary Stewart was cute. I'm curious to see it again.
Old May 6 2013, 01:58 PM   #589
Redfern
Commodore

^I believe the model actually had only five limbs. It's sometimes called the "Quintopus." Although the creature in-story was presumably supposed to have eight limbs; we just never saw them all at once.
That's the anecdote I read a few time over the years myself, 5 limbs. But in that 90 minute retrospective Ray himself claimed it had 6 limbs and then the presentation cut to another filmmaker (I forget whom) who also stated 6.

So, I don't know what to believe any more. I'm beginning to suspect I keep "slipping" into divergent quantum realities because people will state one thing and then later claim they never did.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 08:43 PM   #590
Nomad
Lieutenant Commander

Watched the first four chapters of the Judex serial last night. Since it's a 12-parter, things move a little slowly (Judex himself doesn't appear in the Prologue). Also, so far no "origin of Judex." We don't know who is or where he came for, just that he is "a champion of justice." I guess this will all come out in the remaining installments. By the way, the chapters were presented in their proper order: Prologue, Chapters 1, 2, and 3. Hopefully, the later ones will be also.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 09:36 PM   #591
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Nomad wrote: View Post
Watched the first four chapters of the Judex serial last night. Since it's a 12-parter, things move a little slowly (Judex himself doesn't appear in the Prologue). Also, so far no "origin of Judex." We don't know who is or where he came for, just that he is "a champion of justice."
And his brother's name is "Roger." He also had an article about someone named "de Tremeuse" (sic) that he looked at with the word "PAPA" written on it; I guess to remind himself of his relation to the subject of the piece.

It's interesting to see so much of the Shadow's precedents in this serial: the secret sanctum (with concealed passageways, no less), the sending of warnings via notes with an elaborate signature, the "cutting-edge" technology employed ("electric mirrors" and the like), and a network of associates (by which, I refer to his "distress" birds and "fantastic" dog pack). The cape and slouch hat are too obvious to remark on.

I can't wait to see the remainder of this serial. My fervent hope is that Judex and the Licorice Kid team-up to vanquish the villains in the final installment.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 10:47 PM   #592
RJDonner&Blitzen

Ben Mankiewicz actually did a little prologue of his own where he rattled off all the similarities to the Shadow and Batman. It's amazing that I've never heard of this character before.
Old May 7 2013, 12:40 AM   #593
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Ben Mankiewicz actually did a little prologue of his own where he rattled off all the similarities to the Shadow and Batman. It's amazing that I've never heard of this character before.
What, you're not an expert on silent French serials of the 1910s?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 09:32 AM   #594
RJDonner&Blitzen

Sadly, no. But I've read a lot of articles and books on the history of the Pulps and genre fiction, as well as the film equivalents, that cite their antecedents back to the 1800s and further. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning Judex.
Old June 6 2013, 02:35 PM   #595
Agent Richard07
Retired

Just a reminder...

6-6-13

Bride of Frankenstein (1935) - 8pm

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) - 9:30pm

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - 11pm

It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955) - 12:30am

King Kong (1933) - 2am

Cyclops (1957) - 4am
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 09:30 PM   #596
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Just a reminder...

6-6-13

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) - 9:30pm
^^^
Still a classic and a favorite (love how obviously they try and shoehorn Raymond Burr into the existing footage and story - and interestingly enough the Japanese included him in the 1985 (30 year anniversary) Godzilla film as a result.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:03 PM   #597
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Why is the 1984/1985 version of Godzilla never shown anywhere anymore?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:30 PM   #598
Christopher
Writer

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Still a classic and a favorite (love how obviously they try and shoehorn Raymond Burr into the existing footage and story - and interestingly enough the Japanese included him in the 1985 (30 year anniversary) Godzilla film as a result.
Actually they didn't. As with the original, the footage of Burr was added by the American distributors for the US version of the film, which also differed from the Japanese version in other ways, mainly a dub script that had more humor and that presented the Soviet characters in a more negative light.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; June 7 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:31 PM   #599
RJDonner&Blitzen

^^ It's too recent to be on TCM (although they did show Night of the Comet recently, so maybe they are working their way into the 80s). The only other place we'd be likely to see it is Encore.

Tonight is definitely an awesome lineup on TCM.
Old June 7 2013, 07:05 AM   #600
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Actually they didn't. As with the original, the footage of Burr was added by the American distributors for the US version of the film, which also differed from the Japanese version in other ways, mainly a dub script that had more humor and that presented the Soviet characters in a more negative light.
Well, another thing I didn't know about the 1985 film - that's hilarious that they added him into the U.S. version again.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote