Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grsde "The Crimson Horror"
Geronimo! 52 43.70%
Good 40 33.61%
Average 16 13.45%
Bad 8 6.72%
…You just cannot see it 3 2.52%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6 2013, 05:59 PM   #166
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: 7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

throwback wrote: View Post
Well, at least one thing that Doctor Who and the new Star Trek have in common is weird science.
Yeah because classic Star Trek was the bastion of real science

However, Star Trek has operated on, in my opinion, firmer science than that. Occasionally, it will dip into weird science, sometimes with hilarious ineptitude ("Threshold").
Really, thats all you can think of, not a medical treatment that causes the Enterprise crew to devolve, or the Genesis Device, or the problems with cloaking tech, or warp drive, or transporters, or psychic power granting negative energy galactic barriers.

However, the rebooted Star Trek has overturned the apple cart, so to speak, and we get this gem -

Spoiler Alert
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:16 PM   #167
Stoo
Captain

Ok so wait, was Mr Sweet an intelligent being working with Gillyflower? Or just some animal pumping out toxin? I didn't follow exactly how their symbiosis worked.

I like seeing the Victorian Trio, Strax always gets a laugh out of me. Although they'd need more development to ever take centre stage.

I missed the tom-tom joke but it doesn't bother me. The "guy keeps fainting" one was lame, tho.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:29 PM   #168
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Did you think it just might be possible that Mr Sweet helped with that rocket? Although, I have to admit that whatever benefits he provided to the symbiotic relationship was left vague.

Mr Awe
Of course I did, but as you note, his contribution was undefined. And, given the history noted by Madam Vastra, I think JoeZhang is right to question what rocketry experience he'd bring to the relationship. It's a question someone should have been asking.
Apparently I missed the part where they explained that Mrs G was a chemist and engineer! I just assumed that Mr Sweet was supplying some information, but perhaps not. However, if his kind has been around since the Silurians, and they developed rockets, the information could well have been passed down. "His" capabilities and contributions were left vague.

However, for any implausability of such a rocket at that time, I'd put down to Mr. S! It's a viable explanation for the early rocketry.

ETA: I see that Aldijor beat me to it about the Silurian's, but that was my though during the show.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:34 PM   #169
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Psion wrote: View Post
^ Did you think it just might be possible that Mr Sweet helped with that rocket? Although, I have to admit that whatever benefits he provided to the symbiotic relationship was left vague.

Mr Awe
Of course I did, but as you note, his contribution was undefined. And, given the history noted by Madam Vastra, I think JoeZhang is right to question what rocketry experience he'd bring to the relationship. It's a question someone should have been asking.
Apparently I missed the part where they explained that Mrs G was a chemist and engineer! I just assumed that Mr Sweet was supplying some information, but perhaps not. However, if his kind has been around since the Silurians, and they developed rockets, the information could well have been passed down. "His" capabilities and contributions were left vague.

However, for any implausability of such a rocket at that time, I'd put down to Mr. S! It's a viable explanation for the early rocketry.

Mr Awe
I'll need to double-check the episode before I accept Mrs. Gillyflower's credentials in chemistry and engineering, however I just remembered that she was recruiting "the brightest" for her little society. Perhaps she had her own Peenemünde going on there.
Old May 6 2013, 06:43 PM   #170
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^ It's possible, but I still think a bit implausible. For me at least, it's easier to explain away that Mr Sweet provided some additional guidance and information.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:54 PM   #171
The Keeper
Commodore

The rocket wash should have toasted them alive.

The 'guest' stars are nice once in a while but no thanks on them getting a spin-off. Good stories are hard enough to come by for the Doctor alone.

Almost a 'Geronimo' but not quite, voted Good.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:56 PM   #172
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander

It's in the scene where the Doctor and Clara are outside the gates of Sweetville. I believe they were talking to Mr. Fainty. Either way, he was giving them a briefing regarding Sweetville and Mrs. Gillyflower. That's when he stated her chemist and engineering background.

Her recruitment of the "best and brightest" was more about creating her bonkers vision of paradise.

Last edited by Mad Jack Wolfe; May 6 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Mad Jack Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 08:28 PM   #173
O'Dib
Commodore

I don't understand why we keep coming back to the lesbian/lizzard/egghead trio. They're not that interesting. Gatiss stays way off the mark for me with this entry. I would've liked Cold War better if not for the cheesy alien armor. I seriously thought that was a Classic Who costume and when he sent the distress call the ones showing up would be cooler.
Old May 6 2013, 08:38 PM   #174
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

"Mrs. Winnifred Gillyflower ... an astonishing woman. Prize-winning chemist and mechanical engineer."

So she's good with pulleys, gears, pistons, hinges ... heck, I'd even give her steam locomotives. But one old woman, doing all of that? No, only if she got lots of help from the leech and her Peenemünde team.
Old May 6 2013, 09:05 PM   #175
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Capt. Nemo could engineer the incredible Nautilus, why not her?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 09:21 PM   #176
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Well I only just got to see it and everything's been said.

I loved it, the acting was top notch, the final scene between the Doctor and Ada was great.

Yes the rocket exhaust should have killed them, the fainting man was a bit tedious but this was my favourite of this half of the season.

I will reserve judgment on next weeks but the trailer didn't impress me.

The people in bell jars were great, the whole atmosphere was well done.

Definite Sherlock vibe to this episode. It felt more adult to me this week just from the performance of the cast.

I'd happily watch a Paternoster spin off.

Did people really find this story too complicated to follow?

The story was pretty straightforward and any argument that things need to be dumbed down or made simpler is questionable.

Anything that tries to reach above the common denominator is to be applauded, not that this episode did as I say it wasn't very original but I enjoyed the implementation.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 09:45 PM   #177
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I have no problem with imagining Mr Sweet providing some technical knowledge (A bit like a Whoniverse Trill). Would have been nice if they'd developed it a bit though.

Otoh, it was rather neat that the human was actually evil rather than the usual "You used me!" "Yes I did, and you fell for it. Stupid human." trope.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; May 7 2013 at 04:03 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 09:50 PM   #178
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I have no problem with imagining Mr Sweet providing some technical knowledge (A bit like a Whoniverse Trill). Would have been nice if they'd developed it a bit though.

Otih, it was rather neat that the human was actually evil rather than the usual "You used me!" "Yes I did, and you fell for it. Stupid human." trope.
'You know what these are? The wrong hands!' Diana Rigg's delivery of that was fantastic. If they did make a Paternoster Gang one off or series, she'd be a great villain for it.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 11:02 PM   #179
Starkers
Admiral

Pindar wrote: View Post

I will reserve judgment on next weeks but the trailer didn't impress me.
Yeah I have to say it didn't impress me greatly either, but I figure it is just a trailer, still looking forward to it, Gaiman + Cyberman should = greatness...but I am reserving judgement

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 11:08 PM   #180
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Doctor Who is a show where people build time machines in basements (i.e., City of Death). A rocket in the 1890s is more plausible than that by many orders of magnitude.