Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 5 2013, 12:16 AM   #5836
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It really depends. Some directors are hired to execute the producer's vision, some directors are given freedom, some directors even get final cut. In the "huge budget" film genre, producers tend to control directors a lot stronger.
It also depneds on how big you are. Spielberg, Cameron, and many other big name directors usually have a lot of control over their films.
Old May 5 2013, 12:55 AM   #5837
Santa Riker
Commodore

Yes, it does, but let's keep talking about this movie, shall we?!

As for whether Nolan controlled Snyder, it has been said that Nolan was busy making (and later campaigning for) TDKR while Snyder started shooting MoS. Nolan also stated that he kept mostly out of it once pre-production was done, and that this was a Snyder movie.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Santa Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:57 AM   #5838
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure if anyone posted this...but we also have a new banner! I like this quite a bit.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=103765

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:54 AM   #5839
JD
Admiral

Very nice. And now I have a new desktop wallpaper.
Old May 5 2013, 02:11 AM   #5840
EnsignRicky
Commodore

They're really trying to downplay any yellow in that logo whatsoever.
Old May 5 2013, 03:08 AM   #5841
Gojira
Commodore

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
They're really trying to downplay any yellow in that logo whatsoever.
I didn't notice that at first. I do love the new Superman suit, the only thing I do not like is that the yellow in his chest emblem looks dirty and dull.
Old May 5 2013, 03:47 AM   #5842
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Actually I don't know if it was someone in this thread or somewhere else, but I think someone observed that in different shots (promo pics, etc) that they're using different colours for the crest? For example it's been shown to have a bit of yellow or gold in some shots, but dark in others.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 03:54 AM   #5843
Gojira
Commodore

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Actually I don't know if it was someone in this thread or somewhere else, but I think someone observed that in different shots (promo pics, etc) that they're using different colours for the crest? For example it's been shown to have a bit of yellow or gold in some shots, but dark in others.

I have noticed that myslef. I really like the ones I have seen with the bits of gold in them.
Old May 5 2013, 04:32 AM   #5844
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
That was me. I imagine they did it as a way to pay homage to the various Superman designs over the years, with black being the background color for Superman's shield in Kingdom Come. The all-blue background in this banner interests me, though; I wonder if that's intentional or if the artist who made that banner got a little too Photoshop happy.
Hanukkah Solo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:05 AM   #5845
JD
Admiral

We got in a whole bunch of MOS toys at the Wal-Mart where I work in the last week.
Old May 6 2013, 06:28 PM   #5846
kirk55555
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, according to wikipedia, his "body of work", only counting movies that are out, is the batman trilogy, The Prestige, Following, Memento, Insomnia, and Inception. So, I've seen 4 of his 8 movies that are out. I seriously doubt any of those 4 movies would make me hate Nolan less.
Am I reading this correctly that you haven't seen Memento or Inception?
This is starting to clog the thread, but I'll answer this. Of course I haven't seen them. They're Nolan movies. After The Dark Knight it was clear I'll hate his movies. I saw The Prestige before TDK, and I watched Rises just to see how bad it was (just like I will with MoS). I got through Rises by laughing at Bane and watching the few good scenes with Commissioner Gordon (he seriously had the only watchable scenes in that movie). I'm sure I'll get through Man of Steel somehow. Probably by watching it on DVD with my brother (bad movies are always better when you're not watching them alone) and/or just the power of my morbid curiosity to see a Superman movie worse than Superman IV.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:41 PM   #5847
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Actually, from what I gather, it's clear you don't like Nolan Batman movies and you don't like The Prestige. Memento is neither a Nolan Batman movie or The Prestige. Neither is Inception. If you have an open mind and go watch those films and come back and say you don't like them, then you don't like Nolan movies. Right now, you only don't like Nolan Batman films. So there's no way to know if you would like or dislike Nolan Superman films.
Old May 6 2013, 07:19 PM   #5848
kirk55555
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Actually, from what I gather, it's clear you don't like Nolan Batman movies and you don't like The Prestige. Memento is neither a Nolan Batman movie or The Prestige. Neither is Inception. If you have an open mind and go watch those films and come back and say you don't like them, then you don't like Nolan movies. Right now, you only don't like Nolan Batman films. So there's no way to know if you would like or dislike Nolan Superman films.
Well, I would argue that hating half of his movies (all the ones I've seen) is enough to say I'll hate any Nolan movie, especially another Nolan superhero movie. Still, I guess I could watch those, the library does have them. But, looking at wikipedia, Memento looks like it will make me stab my eyes out. I HATE artsy films with weird gimmicks, so reading this on wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:
Memento is presented as two different sequences of scenes: a series in black-and-white that are shown chronologically, and a series of color sequences shown in reverse order. The two sequences "meet" at the end of the film, producing one common story
makes it sound like a movie I'd probably despise it even if it wasn't made by someone whose work I hate, and its premise doesn't help. Also, Inception was made after TDK, meaning he's totally in TDK mode, and its premise seems very, very stupid. These are movies I wouldn't watch even if they stared all my favorite actors and was made by people I didn't hate, so the fact that they're Nolan movies with a bunch of actors I really couldn't care less about means it would be hard for me to want to watch them less, outside of JJ abrams making them. I'll think about it, though. Its really easy to appeal to my morbid curiosity, and the fact that Nolan may have made movies worse than his Batman stuff (and memento atleast looks like it may be in that category) has made me curious. Plus, I've seen a several parodies of Inception (I know Simpson's and South Park both did one) so I've been curious about it.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 07:53 PM   #5849
sojourner
Admiral

Memento is a great movie with a great ending. One of few movies where I couldn't guess what was going to happen half way through.
Old May 6 2013, 08:07 PM   #5850
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Here's a new TV spot: