Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 6 2013, 02:29 PM   #16
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

Re: Help Me Build a Comprehensive Star Trek Experience

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
If you want a truly comprehensive experience, then watch every episode.
Agreed. To get the full experience watch every episode of every variation of Trek. That's the only way you are going to determine what is 'essential' to you.
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 02:39 PM   #17
EATERoftheDEAD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

What are some essential list you would create? They needn't be as long as something like the Dominion War but could be as simple as Q and the Enterprise or the Mirror Universe, both of which I believe received a DVD set.
EATERoftheDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 02:44 PM   #18
EATERoftheDEAD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Agreed. To get the full experience watch every episode of every variation of Trek. That's the only way you are going to determine what is 'essential' to you.
It has become clear to me that this really is the only way to have an 'essential' or 'comprehensive' experience, unfortunately I really don't have the time to dedicate to that kind of viewing experience. However, I know enough about the setting and the characters that I feel confident changing the focus of this project to be more focused on certain aspects of the show.

This sort of approach will still be highly subjective but might help others experience the parts of Star trek they loved, such as the Borg invasion of the Alpha Quadrant for me, or perhaps never explored, such as the Dominion War for me.

Plus, this focused approach is really pretty fun.
Old May 7 2013, 01:20 PM   #19
EATERoftheDEAD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is one I made for the Q fans in the house.

Q the Adversary
TNG 1.01-1.02 Encounter at Farpoint
TNG 1.10 Hide and Q
Q the Foil
TNG 2.16 Q Who?
TNG 3.13 Déjà Q
Q and Vash
TNG 3.19 Captain’s Holiday
TNG 4.20 Qpid
DS9 1.07 Q-Less
Q the Antihero
TNG 6.06 True Q
TNG 6.15 Tapestry
TNG 7.25-7.26 All Good Things...
Q Civil War
VOY 2.18 Death Wish
VOY 3.11 The Q and the Grey
VOY 7.19 Q2
Additional Viewing
TOS 1.18 The Squire of Gothos
MOV V The Final Frontier

Q goes through a lot of changes over his time in the franchise. He starts out as an adversary but by the end is a generally good character so his arc is a lot of fun. Sometimes he is played for comedy and it is during those times that I feel he is weakest.

This list has a lot that can be removed for more focused viewing. Removing the entire Vash storyline looses nothing and the episodes are overall pretty weak, plus Captain's Holiday doesn't even include Q, it is an introduction to Vash. True Q can be skipped as well since, I feel, it doesn't do much to advance the character. I haven't seen any of the Voyager episodes so i can't speak to their quality. The other episodes form a nice arc beginning and ending with the first and last episodes of TNG quite nicely.

The additional viewing do not include Q but they are a couple of examples of similar beings in the franchise and the shenanigans they get up to.
Old May 8 2013, 05:36 PM   #20
EATERoftheDEAD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I watched the Voyager Q episodes and would like to amend my Q list. The Q Civil War arc is quite interesting but really only encompasses Death Wish and The Q and the Grey. Q2 is a fun little episode but adds little to the overall list and is certainly skippable for anyone looking for a more concise watch list.
Old May 12 2013, 02:22 AM   #21
EATERoftheDEAD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mirror Universe Saga

First Encounter
TOS 2.04 Mirror, Mirror
Terran Rebellion
DS9 2.23 Crossover
DS9 3.19 Through the Looking Glass
DS9 4.20 Shattered Mirror
Rise of the Empire
ENT 4.18-4.19 In a Mirror, Darkly, Parts I&II
Other Encounters
DS9 6.08 Resurrection
DS9 7.12 The Emperor’s New Cloak
Additional Viewing
TOS 3.09 The Tholian Web

This is really more like three arcs that all deal with the same setting but are a joy to watch anyway.

Mirror, Mirror is a great introduction to the barbarism of the setting and exactly how at odds the MU is to the prime universe. The Terran Rebellion as told on DS9 is an interesting arc that shows the repercussions of Kirk's actions and moves the timeline forward. In a Mirror, Darkly is a lot of fun and I greatly enjoy the writing and so many aspects of the approach and execution. The more I watch Enterprise the more I wonder why people disliked it so much.

The other episodes are entirely skippable. The two DS9 installments are kind of afterthoughts that reference or revisit the earlier episodes. Neither move along the story or characters. The Tholian Web is only peripherally related as it is heavily referenced in the ENT episodes but not directly related otherwise.
Old May 12 2013, 07:48 AM   #22
TheSubCommander
Captain

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
+2 here.

But if it isn't feasible to watch every episode, then what I would recommend is picking up the Star trek Fan Collectives and the Jean-Luc Picard Collection, along with the Star Trek movies. You get a pretty good cross section of some of the best episodes from the various series in the Collectives, except maybe for DS9. DS9 is so serialized (much more than any of the other Trek series), that it is impossible to get a good sense of the show in just a handful of episodes, and the DS9 mirror universe episodes are actually some of the worst DS9 episodes, in an otherwise great series. In fact, Eater, many of the episodes you have listed, are in those fan collectives.

But if you can't do all the Collectives, the "must see collections" IMHO are The Borg, Klingon, Q, Time Travel Fan Collectives, and the Jean-Luc Picard Collection. You can find many of those collections used in a second hand store, or online pretty cheap, now, as long as you don't care its not blu ray.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:54 PM   #23
EATERoftheDEAD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah I gave up on the whole 'comprehensive experience' thing when it became clear very quickly that it was so subjective as to be an impossible task. I'm working my way through DS9 right now and will soon be watching Voyager as well before moving on to Enterprise.

With so much material out there and most of it quite good it really isn't possible to boil it down into some kind of essential list, as has been said. These lists now are more of a fan's guide to different episodes or story lines in the same vein as the Fan Collection sets.

I'm thinking I'm going to abandon this thread and move the viewing guide thing to its own thread to avoid confusion over the OP.
Old May 13 2013, 12:31 AM   #24
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

EATERoftheDEAD wrote: View Post
Yeah I gave up on the whole 'comprehensive experience' thing....
Yeah....
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 09:22 AM   #25
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Old May 16 2013, 07:02 AM   #26
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

how would you like to try of helping me with my project of building a web page of a walk thru of a star ship?.
kennysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 05:43 AM   #27
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

ok hello every one, well i know i have not being on here for a time but i have ben looking for a model star ship, my friend get me one of the thing i was looking for. it is a 32" star ship that kirk heal in his hands in one of the photo they took. i will be picking it up at my computer meet on the 26 of this month. but i will not be puting it together real fast. also my friend is talking a friend of his to get me the pemt lay out of the 10' model of the star ship for me so i can size it up to a 50' model size. this is what i have ben doing for some time. now do any one would like to help me now?.
DON'T any one like this.

Last edited by kennysmith; August 9 2013 at 11:43 PM.
kennysmith is offline   Reply With Quote