The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 6 2013, 02:43 PM   #106
EJD1984
Commander

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Just to add my two cents into the conservation.
I just don't like the nuEnterprise "super-size". The overall classic Enterprise visual cues suggest a much smaller size (close to the original). Whereas the Next-Gen Enterprise, gave you a sense of real huge scale, based on the visual cues.

For me personally, and from an engineering standpoint, the TMP Enterprise had the best representation of the ship, size and scale. Plus that move showed that it all depends on how the ship is filmed. It showed that you still fit fairly large sets into the ship, and still get a real sense of huge scale.
Old May 6 2013, 03:01 PM   #107
F. King Daniel
Admiral

According to FASA's Star Trek III Sourcebook Update, the spacedock is 3800m across, a length of 4700m, a staff of 50,000, 100,000 residents and a transient population of approximately 20,000. It weighs 110,000,000 metric tonnes.

But of course that too big, it makes no sense. Form doesn't follow function. The windows and doors are too big. That's for shuttles, not for starships. They don't know what they're doing. That saucer isn't really any bigger than the one on the Enterprise.

Now let's scale the Whale Probe!
Old May 6 2013, 03:24 PM   #108
cbspock
Rear Admiral

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
Just to add my two cents into the conservation.
I just don't like the nuEnterprise "super-size". The overall classic Enterprise visual cues suggest a much smaller size (close to the original). Whereas the Next-Gen Enterprise, gave you a sense of real huge scale, based on the visual cues.

For me personally, and from an engineering standpoint, the TMP Enterprise had the best representation of the ship, size and scale. Plus that move showed that it all depends on how the ship is filmed. It showed that you still fit fairly large sets into the ship, and still get a real sense of huge scale.
I never got a sense of how big the ENT-D was most of the time because of the way it was filmed. In most shots it looked like a little model.

-Chris
Old May 6 2013, 04:52 PM   #109
TOSTNGDS9VOYENT
Lieutenant Commander

This is why there will never be deck plans of the new Enterprise. If the size is 725 meters but the ships windows and doors show it to be half that size, how do you make a blueprint? Since the ship was rescaled to make the hanger deck look large enough, it now doesn't work. If you look at a side view of the ship, the shuttle bay door looks to be no more than 25 feet tall when comparing it to the docking port door on the side which is probably no more than 8 feet tall. To cram 2 shuttles on two seperate levels and leave enough clearances for entry and egress, you'd need a bay closer to 40 feet tall.

If you tried to blueprint the ship as is, and scale the decks off of the bridge, what you end up with is a shuttle bay thats only about two decks high. So unless their running micro shuttles and only carrying children, it will never work on paper.
Old May 6 2013, 05:31 PM   #110
F. King Daniel
Admiral

TOSTNGDS9VOYENT wrote: View Post
This is why there will never be deck plans of the new Enterprise. If the size is 725 meters but the ships windows and doors show it to be half that size, how do you make a blueprint? Since the ship was rescaled to make the hanger deck look large enough, it now doesn't work. If you look at a side view of the ship, the shuttle bay door looks to be no more than 25 feet tall when comparing it to the docking port door on the side which is probably no more than 8 feet tall. To cram 2 shuttles on two seperate levels and leave enough clearances for entry and egress, you'd need a bay closer to 40 feet tall.

If you tried to blueprint the ship as is, and scale the decks off of the bridge, what you end up with is a shuttle bay thats only about two decks high. So unless their running micro shuttles and only carrying children, it will never work on paper.
Wrong. See HERE for how it all fits together, bridge, windows, shuttlebay and all.
Old May 6 2013, 05:53 PM   #111
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Is it me, or do the slanted open shuttlebay doors look a little wonky? It doesn't even look like they can open all the way like that. Whatever happened to the tried-and-true clamshell articulated doors?
Old May 6 2013, 06:51 PM   #112
throwback
Captain

Converting meters into miles,

3800 meters converts to 2.36 miles
4700 meters converts to 2.92 miles
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 11:49 PM   #113
Flake
Commodore

King Daniel wrote: View Post
According to FASA's Star Trek III Sourcebook Update, the spacedock is 3800m across, a length of 4700m, a staff of 50,000, 100,000 residents and a transient population of approximately 20,000. It weighs 110,000,000 metric tonnes.

But of course that too big, it makes no sense. Form doesn't follow function. The windows and doors are too big. That's for shuttles, not for starships. They don't know what they're doing. That saucer isn't really any bigger than the one on the Enterprise.

Don't forget starbase 74, still the largest construct of the federation ? I look forward to a really huge JJdock in a future movie
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 12:30 AM   #114
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

I am a little bit concerned about Borg cubes. They would either be way too small to be a threat – they would be only slightly bigger than the Vengeance. Vengeance is so huge and sinister that Borg cubes won't look as ominous now.

Or... They would have to make them even more gigantic. Now that, unlike Carol Marcus' accent, would be a strange consequence of Nero and friends coming to say “hi”, I must say. Not that I would mind, it would be a pleasure seeing Kirk's ship feel like an ant in the hands of an enormous Borg cube that's playing with it, but it would certainly push some wrong continuity buttons.

I guess an easy cop out would be to send multiple cubes. But I liked Borg's invincibility and relentlessness when they were going alone. So oversized cube for me please, hot and no cream.
Old May 7 2013, 01:08 PM   #115
Timo
Admiral

The Borg could always simply dock 27 of the TNG standard Cubes together whenever necessary, and STXIII might represent such a necessity...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 01:51 PM   #116
anh165
Commander

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
I am a little bit concerned about Borg cubes. They would either be way too small to be a threat – they would be only slightly bigger than the Vengeance. Vengeance is so huge and sinister that Borg cubes won't look as ominous now.
A stock borg cube is still noticably larger than the Vengeance.

The problem isn't the size of their ships, its just the 'we are invincible god like and we want to eatz you' concept of the borg is a bit stale and worked on a on-going slow paced TV series rather than a movie.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:38 PM   #117
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
When did Spock try to save Romulus? Because Voyager already returned from the Delta Quadrant with 'trans-phasic torpedo' technology as well as that special shielding that Spock prime would be aware of.

The Borg are already defeated by Spock Prime's future knowledge.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 05:41 PM   #118
Franklin
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post

I don't feel like getting out a ruler right now (). But for inquiring minds, I do remember reading somewhere in production notes of TVH that the probe was supposed to be somewhere around five miles long. So, about the size of the Narada.

Wasn't V'ger 82 AU in diameter, or about twice the distance from the sun to Pluto? I'd guess an Abrams-sized V'ger would take up the entire Alpha Quadrant.
Old May 7 2013, 06:05 PM   #119
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

I can't even believe people are still arguing the size of the new Enterprise. They established the size as the super ubber dumb size it is, so I don't know what there is to fight against anymore.

Sure you can argue some scenes say this, and some show that, but in the end, the creators decided on a size and that's what it is. The Enterprise was super sized because drama and excitement is beholden to big, bold, splashy and bangy. And there's nothing wrong with that because people respond to different things during different times.

One day the Enterprise may be rebooted again- or whatever we'll call rebooting. People may or may not fight and resist or defend no matter what. The Enterprise may get even larger or smaller or turn into a yellow submarine. Kirk may become a chick (god help us all if that happens). Uhura may actually one day become a relevant and interesting character (not bloody likely).

My point is, evidence, smevidence. Just enjoy the damned movie if you like it and stop trying to compare new trek to old- they don't need to be compared as long as you enjoy the movie.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 06:19 PM   #120
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
^That's what freighters are for. If you're using starships for that kind of duty, you've got too many starships with not enough to do, and that's probably not possible, given all there is to do and see .. plus the fact that somewhere the Enterprise is the only ship within the quadrant or interception range.
Exactly. What happens if you have to evacuate 5000 colonists and Enterprise is the only ship in the quadrant?