Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grsde "The Crimson Horror"
Geronimo! 52 43.70%
Good 40 33.61%
Average 16 13.45%
Bad 8 6.72%
…You just cannot see it 3 2.52%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6 2013, 12:21 AM   #136
diankra
Commodore

Re: 7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

The BBC got burned on their last experience of a season of pilots (which is what that effectively was). They came out of it OK, with Being Human, but only after a near disastrous commitment to a season of Phoo Power (or whatever it was called).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 01:03 AM   #137
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

They should give Team Vastra the "Sherlock" treatment and do a couple of TV movies every couple of years.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 01:13 AM   #138
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Marvelous. Much better than last week.

I want Ada to join the Paternoster Gang. And I want them to get a spin-off written by Mark Gatiss.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 01:26 AM   #139
throwback
Captain

I remember vividly two scenes from this episode:
1. Watching the old lady falling from a great height and landing on her back - "Ouch."
2. Watching Ada whacking Mr. Sweet with her cane.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 01:28 AM   #140
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Was anyone else expecting Mister Sweet to be the Great Intelligence?
Yeah, I did, and yet, I thought it was so predictable that I was actually disappointed that wasn't. Weird, I know.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Imagine a "Worlds of Doctor Who" umbrella title for occasional one-off films. You could have Madame Vastra one month. The River Song/Jack Harkness thing that Alex Kingston and John Barrowman both want to do another month. Maybe a Rani and Clyde movie, to catch up on them since SJA ended.
I really like that idea (and the three story ideas) but I agree that it would be very hard sell for BBC especially after how the last round of specials were received.

But a guy can dream, right?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 01:29 AM   #141
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

The did ratings drop for the specials?
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 02:23 AM   #142
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Good, almost a Gernonimo. A nice fun story, great characters, and the perfect visuals and atmosphere for the story. Very enjoyable all around.

Loved the line that referred to Teegan! And the bit about not being sure why he was trying to get her back to Heathrow! Hilarious!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 03:30 AM   #143
Slugboy
Commodore

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Urgh, the kids at the end... If their goal was to completely diffuse any enthusiasm I had for a NEIL GAIMAN CYBERMAN EPISODE they certainly succeeded. Who likes kids in stuff? Not even kids like kids in stuff.
Yes, the inclusion of the Maitland kids has me a little worried. Now, if the Doctor is willing to take them, it would be cool if he'd swing by Akhaten again to pick up poor little Merry. After discovering that the whole purpose of her life was to be a human sacrifice, in the service of a false god who is now dead, you'd think the poor girl would be feeling really down and need some sort of a vacation. Plus we'd get to see more of Emilia Jones' excellent acting.

As for the episode itself, I rated it "Geronimo!" I found the portrayal of the villainness, Mrs. Gillyflower, as convincing---a brilliant, but disturbed mind, following a deranged version of Christianity, and becoming a cult leader.

I loved the sick and twisted touches...Mrs. Gillyflower blinding her own daughter as part of her experiments (even the cover story, with Ada's father blinding her in a drunken rage, was sick) Dumping the rejects in the canal, to be pawed over by the "Keith Morrison"-style coroner. Even the Doctor was so disgusted that he didn't care when Mrs. Gillyflower and Mr. Sweet both died.

For me, some of my favourite episodes of Doctor Who (both new and classic) have been those which are disturbing or twisted enough that parents start to wonder "should my kids really be watching this?" without becoming too explicit or gory. The Crimson Horror fits this bill, for me.
Slugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 04:44 AM   #144
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

I haven't read through the thread but I thought this episode was fabulous (I'm bi I can use that word, fabulous is cool) and fun. It was simple and straightforward without any lumbering fanwank to hold it back, it felt like an actual story instead of "OOH WE'RE GOING INSIDE THE TARDIS AND OOH LOOK AT ALL THESE OBSCURE REFERENCES!"

Loved the Tegan reference and "Thomas Thomas." (I lol'd)
Old May 6 2013, 05:44 AM   #145
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

My god, this was an absolutely fantastic episode. Please please please can we have a Vastra and Jenny and Strax spinoff? Please?

Thomas Thomas - HA!
Ninja Jenny - more!

And I do so tire of the RTD/Moffatt bickering. Love them both.
Old May 6 2013, 10:03 AM   #146
intrinsical
Commodore

I wondered if all the emphasis on "The North" was an obscure reference to a Dead Ringers sketch 7 years ago featuring Chris Eccelston wearing his leather Doctor Who outfit spouting "No, I quit Doctor Who because my parents would never accept their Northern son from a Northern village with proper Northern blood pumping through his veins being in a show like Doctor Who. Because I am from the North. Not that I like to go on about it, but I'm part of the North. My heart is in the North, and when I bleed, I bleed Northern blood. I am the North made flesh! But, like I say, I don't like to go on about it."
Old May 6 2013, 10:12 AM   #147
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I was worried that Mr Sweet would turn out to be bloody Bertie Bassett, I mean the Kandy Man, again.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 10:50 AM   #148
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

captain crow wrote: View Post
Meh. It's another one of those "just sort of there" crap episodes.

An uninteresting story (I fell asleep trying to watch it... twice), unfunny moments (fainting guy, Thomas Thomas, just about anything with Strax) shoehorned in, and over zealous Gold music that doesn't fit.
Yeah, I think you've pretty much just summed it up for me there.

Plus the crimson horror itself looked awful. Even Doctor Who in the 1980s would have at least thought twice before even thinking about just painting people bright red and giving it an over dramatic name.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 11:21 AM   #149
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Matt Smith's accent was hilarious. I wish they would do more stuff like that.
Old May 6 2013, 11:38 AM   #150
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

Can't say much good about this episode... I spent the majority of the episode watching the clock so I could see the trailer for The Silver Nemesis..

I think after the last two and three quarters seasons its safe to say that while Moffat may be a good writer, he's not a very good showrunner. Still waiting to find out who took control of the Tardis at the end of S5, Moff!