RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 539
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 5 2013, 10:44 PM   #31
M
Vice Admiral

Re: Quark

Well the funny thing with Quark is, that watching the show as a child I really really hated him. I thought he was just annoying, with everything about him being about making money, mistreating women and so on. It's only when I got older that I realized what a brilliant character Quark actually is, and that his relationship with Odo really is one of my favorite things about the show.

When I rewatched it some years ago, I was surprised to see so many great Odo/Quark moments even in the first season. This show was blessed with brilliant writing and equally brilliant actors. Auberjonois and Shimerman were such an integral part of the show.

My favortie Quark episodes would have to be "Rules of Acquisition", where we got a first hint that Quark was more than just your typical Ferengi, "Business as Usual", which once and for all established that he had a conscience, and "Profit and Loss", in which he got a nice romantic backstory that really allowed Shimerman to shine.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 12:08 AM   #32
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

KNH wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Star Trek aliens traditionally were intended to represent individual human traits, i.e., Vulcans=Logic, Ferengi=Greed, etc. I could never figure out what they were supposed to represent with all the different Xindi factions.
I always was under the impression they serve as overdrawn parallels for ethnic groups and how they were seen from a US-centric view starting with TOS. Klingons as russians, Romulans as the japanese, Cardassians as nazi germany and Ferengi as the logical conclusion of capitalist, hedonist 20th century americans.
I would switch the Klingons and Romulans. The Klingons are the Imperial Japanese and Romulans are the USSR. The klingons have ritual suicide and the 'samurai' warrior ethic. And Romulus has secret organizations that disappear people, which is blatantly Communism.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 05:40 AM   #33
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
KNH wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Star Trek aliens traditionally were intended to represent individual human traits, i.e., Vulcans=Logic, Ferengi=Greed, etc. I could never figure out what they were supposed to represent with all the different Xindi factions.
I always was under the impression they serve as overdrawn parallels for ethnic groups and how they were seen from a US-centric view starting with TOS. Klingons as russians, Romulans as the japanese, Cardassians as nazi germany and Ferengi as the logical conclusion of capitalist, hedonist 20th century americans.
I would switch the Klingons and Romulans. The Klingons are the Imperial Japanese and Romulans are the USSR. The klingons have ritual suicide and the 'samurai' warrior ethic. And Romulus has secret organizations that disappear people, which is blatantly Communism.
Originally in TOS, Klingons faced off against the Federation in a Cold War allegory. This was enforced by the Organians, as of the first Klingon episode, Errand of Mercy, so the Klingons were initially analogous to the Soviets.

The Romulans debuted in Balance of Terror, an episode based on a WWII submarine movie depicting a US Navy destroyer versus a German U-boat. Thinking of the Romulans as patterned after Germans would therefore be more apt than thinking of them as patterned after the Japanese. However, Romulans later assumed an allegorical role patterned after the North Koreans, in The Enterprise Incident.

None of these allegorical roles are absolute, and both Klingons and Romulans have been revised a great deal since the TOS days.

When it comes to ritual suicide, I've seen a Romulan commander blow his own ship up to avoid capture (in BoT), but I don't recall a Klingon ever doing anything similar.
Old May 6 2013, 06:19 AM   #34
LoneDragon
Lieutenant

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Quark is tied for 1st place as my favorite DS9 character (the other is Garak).
Yeah... Garak is my fave, then Quark and Odo are close seconds.
Me too! I also love when the Grand Nagis shows up.

I just finished season 3 and I was thinking there werent enough Quark episodes! I really enjoyed "Family Business"
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 10:37 AM   #35
TheSubCommander
Captain

Quark is a great character IMHO. As said before, he has a unique perspective on humanity: IE: The Jem'Hadar, The Seige of AR-558, Little Green Men are great examples of his perspective. His character alternates from cowardly to courageous, and I think he transforms beyond the stereotypical greedy Ferengi from season 1 to a noble character by series' end.

As for the Ferengi-centric episodes, they are hit or miss, especially ones with his Mom or Liquidator Brunt, but Quark as a character shouldn't be docked for them.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 11:49 AM   #36
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Quark was so reliably entertaining I could mostly forgive the Quark as a female episode. Mostly.
Old May 6 2013, 12:56 PM   #37
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I adore Quark and he only gets better with rewatchings. A very well written and layered character who was never just his species as is sometimes a pitfall of non-humans. And as I've always said, absolutely hot.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:01 AM   #38
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

M wrote: View Post
Well the funny thing with Quark is, that watching the show as a child I really really hated him. I thought he was just annoying, with everything about him being about making money, mistreating women and so on. It's only when I got older that I realized what a brilliant character Quark actually is, and that his relationship with Odo really is one of my favorite things about the show.

When I rewatched it some years ago, I was surprised to see so many great Odo/Quark moments even in the first season. This show was blessed with brilliant writing and equally brilliant actors. Auberjonois and Shimerman were such an integral part of the show.

My favortie Quark episodes would have to be "Rules of Acquisition", where we got a first hint that Quark was more than just your typical Ferengi, "Business as Usual", which once and for all established that he had a conscience, and "Profit and Loss", in which he got a nice romantic backstory that really allowed Shimerman to shine.
LOL M, your Tuvix avatar...

And yes Odo and Quark are awesome together!
Old May 9 2013, 05:42 AM   #39
Ryva Brall
Commander

If I lived on DS9, I know I'd never get anything done, because I'd be hanging out at Quark's all the time.

Also, I need one of these mugs:
Old May 9 2013, 04:50 PM   #40
M
Vice Admiral

Ha, thanks!

Just showing some support for our local Vulcan/Talaxian/Orchid hybrid.

I miss Tuvix.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:43 PM   #41
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
If I lived on DS9, I know I'd never get anything done, because I'd be hanging out at Quark's all the time.

Also, I need one of these mugs:
I tried finding one of those online once to buy... no luck.
Old May 10 2013, 03:02 AM   #42
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Quark would never give free refills! Even if it's just one!
Old May 10 2013, 03:07 AM   #43
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

M wrote: View Post
Ha, thanks!

Just showing some support for our local Vulcan/Talaxian/Orchid hybrid.

I miss Tuvix.
Are you active in the hot and heavy Tuvix thread going on in the VOY forum?
Old May 10 2013, 03:21 AM   #44
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

Loved Quark for being projectable to todays public(especially casual viewers/non-trek-fans).
Living up to starfleet standards is neither possible for him (growing up in the Ferengi world) or for us. But very often he tried his best to stay near the border of light and dark, just to hop fast enough to the light . He actually was the most good-natured of the bad guys.
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 06:19 AM   #45
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Quark would never give free refills! Even if it's just one!
You obviously misunderstand the subtlety of the fine print. He "refills" it once when you buy it.