RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 732
Newest member: pagtwashin

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grsde "The Crimson Horror"
Geronimo! 52 43.70%
Good 40 33.61%
Average 16 13.45%
Bad 8 6.72%
…You just cannot see it 3 2.52%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5 2013, 09:30 PM   #121
Aldo
Admiral

Re: 7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
If only Russell were here to keep the show serious and grounded in gritty reality
Where were the burping bins?

And come to think of it, I've been missing the "Companion lusting for the Doctor" approach ever since RTD left.

Actually, no I'm not.
Old May 5 2013, 09:50 PM   #122
StCoop
Commodore

Aldo wrote: View Post
And come to think of it, I've been missing the "Companion lusting for the Doctor" approach ever since RTD left.

Actually, no I'm not.
Who was it who created Amy Pond again? The character who on the night before her wedding basically spreads her legs and asks the Doctor to fuck her?

I know who it wasn't...
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 09:51 PM   #123
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I really liked this one. I liked that it started with Jenny and Vastra; that was a nice twist. I liked the little touches of humor (Tom-Tom!) and of course, Dame Diane Rigg is always awesome. The ending back in the present was a bit off, but otherwise I found it really entertaining. I'd give it a "Good."
Old May 5 2013, 09:51 PM   #124
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I miss it when every episode was set in modern day London. Can't think why anybody would ever leave such a fascinating place.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 10:01 PM   #125
StCoop
Commodore

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I miss it when every episode was set in modern day London.
Series 1 = Three episodes. (Plus one partial.)
Series 2 = Five Episodes. (One of which was in the near future.)
Series 3 = Five Episodes. (One of which was an a very different eventually erased timeline.)
Series 4 = Five Episodes. (One of which is largly set off the planet.)

Do you never get tired of lying?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 10:23 PM   #126
Aldo
Admiral

He was being facetious. We know not every episode was set in modern day London, but it sure felt like that. After all the episodes in classic Who where they went to far out and strange alien worlds. All of a sudden with the new series they're stuck mostly in and around London and Earth. It really narrowed the scope of the series.

It seems that only finally is the Doctor finally branching out again.
Old May 5 2013, 10:30 PM   #127
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, 1/3 set in modern London is still quite a bit.

And, really, modern anything UK. I suspect that list doesn't count modern Cardiff.
Old May 5 2013, 10:44 PM   #128
diankra
Commodore

StCoop wrote: View Post

Actually, no I'm not.
Who was it who created Amy Pond again? The character who on the night before her wedding basically spreads her legs and asks the Doctor to fuck her?

I know who it wasn't...
And your problem is? It's credible for a normal person with wedding nerves who wants a last fling even without the added complication of this guy being the guy she's been obsessed with since childhood who's suddenly reapeared just as she was about to settle for 'nice but dull' (asRory then seemed...)
And then she got over it... like she would in real life the next morning with a hangover and regrets...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:02 PM   #129
Starkers
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post

Actually, no I'm not.

I know who it wasn't...
And your problem is? It's credible for a normal person with wedding nerves who wants a last fling even without the added complication of this guy being the guy she's been obsessed with since childhood who's suddenly reapeared just as she was about to settle for 'nice but dull' (asRory then seemed...)
And then she got over it... like she would in real life the next morning with a hangover and regrets...
Exceptionally well put. Amy was realer in that moment than Rose or Martha ever were.

To add, she'd also just nearly died which likely exacerbated her feelings even more.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:18 PM   #130
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Exceptionally well put. Amy was realer in that moment than Rose or Martha ever were.
Amy Pond had a few bad appearances with The Beast Below, Victory of the Daleks, the Silurian 2-parter and a dodgy baby plotline but otherwise she was really terrific and episodes centred on her like Amy's Choice or The Girl Who Waited are the finest New Who has offered. Would take her over any of the previous companions and just hope her exit isn't ruined with a pointless return.

Still early days for Clara but I have high hopes. JLC is excellent, just wish she had a centric this series like Donna did with Turn Left or Amy did with Amy's Choice. Clara made a very strong impression when she was in the foreground in episodes like Cold War and Hide.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:36 PM   #131
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

diankra wrote: View Post

I know who it wasn't...

To add, she'd also just nearly died which likely exacerbated her feelings even more.
She had to wander through a forest of Weeping Angels with her eyes closed. The Doctor's lucky she wanted to wait till she got him alone.
Old May 5 2013, 11:37 PM   #132
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Where would the budget come from to make a Vastra and Jenny adventures show? Where is the actual demand outside of a few hardcore fans?
I can't think of any good reasons for a Vastra/Jenny/Strax series. That's not to say there aren't reasons -- the characters are generally fun, there's room in the television marketplace for more Doctor Who-esque product -- but they're not reasons that would induce the BBC to greenlight a series.

The budget, I think, is the easiest objection handled. I could see BBC America wanting to buy into the program as a coproducer (it fits their "Supernatural Saturday" niche, to say nothing of its Whovian origins). And if filmed on Ripper Street's backlot in Dublin, the sets and props would be there to be reused.

But that brings us back to the question -- who is this for? Which audience would the series be for? The Torchwood audience? The Sarah Jane audience? That's the question that would need to be answered first.

A Madame Vastra spin-off strikes me as an idea that's better suited for the licensees -- comics, novels, audios -- since they're already targetting a niche audience.
A one-off series/miniseries could work pretty well as (part of?) a break year. Maybe even put it in the hands of someone other than Moffat as a 'test run' for one of the potential showrunners.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:49 PM   #133
Mr Light
Admiral

Was anyone else expecting Mister Sweet to be the Great Intelligence?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:54 PM   #134
Aldo
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Was anyone else expecting Mister Sweet to be the Great Intelligence?
I believe it's been mentioned a few times in this thread already, so yes. Some people did expect that
Old May 6 2013, 12:01 AM   #135
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Venardhi wrote: View Post
A one-off series/miniseries could work pretty well as (part of?) a break year. Maybe even put it in the hands of someone other than Moffat as a 'test run' for one of the potential showrunners.
That's an idea with potential.

Imagine a "Worlds of Doctor Who" umbrella title for occasional one-off films. You could have Madame Vastra one month. The River Song/Jack Harkness thing that Alex Kingston and John Barrowman both want to do another month. Maybe a Rani and Clyde movie, to catch up on them since SJA ended.

It would be a hard sell to the BBC bosses, though. Money would be hard to come by, probably harder than it was for RTD's specials year (and that, at least, had the advantage of being actual Doctor Who). Foreign broadcast partners might not be interested in picking up these specials.

It is an idea with potential, though. But it has, I think, a steeper hill to climb than a series devoted solely to Madame Vastra would.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote