RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 774
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.39%
A 157 21.90%
A- 98 13.67%
B+ 77 10.74%
B 58 8.09%
B- 27 3.77%
C+ 38 5.30%
C 37 5.16%
C- 23 3.21%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 717. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5 2013, 01:23 PM   #1096
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

yenny wrote: View Post
This actor was born in Mumbai Indian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrithik_Roshan
Is he a guaranteed box office drawcard, talented actor and popular heartthrob amongst SF media fans like... Benedict Cumberbatch?
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 03:12 PM   #1097
TommyW
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Is he a guaranteed box office drawcard, talented actor and popular heartthrob amongst SF media fans like... Benedict Cumberbatch?
I shouldn't imagine Benedict Cumberbatch is a guaranteed boxoffice draw. I doubt many people in the States know who he is!
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 03:14 PM   #1098
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

TommyW wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I shouldn't imagine Benedict Cumberbatch is a guaranteed boxoffice draw. I doubt many people in the States know who he is!
I think they're talking about his performance in past works.
Old May 5 2013, 03:36 PM   #1099
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
You only need to look at Ryan8bit's avatar to see that Ricardo Montalban is pretty white and certainly not Indian.
Actually, you might want to see the original image that is photoshopped from:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...enqto1_500.jpg

My avatar is just sort of a nod toward the later non-bronzed TWOK Khan and the now pale white, green eyed Khan played by Cumberbatch. Sort of a retcon.

Of course, there are images of him from "Space Seed" where he's lighter looking than that link, although not quite as light as the avatar.
Well, hell. There goes my faith in forum avatars as undeniable truth!
Old May 5 2013, 03:49 PM   #1100
Franklin
Rear Admiral

With all the other nonsense we accept in Trek, if people dislike this movie, don't go see it, or otherwise gripe just because of whether or not who is playing Khan is the "right" color or right "ethnicity," then Trek fandom has jumped the shark.

Besides, as has been said a dozen times, Khan is a Muslim title taken by a Sikh whose actual name is Noonien Singh. If one is comfortable with that contradiction, or can explain that away, then anyone should be able to explain away who plays the character just as well.

Also, a Dastar is a mandatory item of headwear for a Sikh male. Where's Singh's? If there's an explanation rationalizing why he doesn't wear it any more, then there's an explanation suitable for who's playing the character.

Further, to be most correct, Singh should be wearing a Kirpan. He didn't in "Space Seed", and he doesn't in STID. Maybe it was under his clothes. Maybe he doesn't wear it because Khan Noonien Singh doesn't seem to stand for what it symbolizes: peace, non-violence, defense of the weak, and truth.

There seem to be a lot of inaccuracies in the character to chew on and explain. So, why stop at the actor portraying him?
Old May 5 2013, 03:51 PM   #1101
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
if people dislike this movie, don't go see it
How will they know if they dislike it?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 04:00 PM   #1102
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Because it is impure already in their eyes. Or some load of old shit.
Old May 5 2013, 04:00 PM   #1103
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It's called "a hunch".
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 04:15 PM   #1104
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Well, in the full sentence I wrote, that's not how that reads at all. You engaged in selective editing. Take it from me, opposition-research political consultants couldn't have misquoted that sentence to change its meaning any better.

There are those who will probably BOYCOTT based on some principle like blue warp nacelles or transwarp beaming or a brewery as engineering. (Where are the boycotters this time around, by the way? Ah, the good old days.)
Old May 5 2013, 07:21 PM   #1105
Flake
Commodore

I think the transporters limitations need to spelled out to any writer coming onto Trek once and for all. Its really quite straightforward to be honest:

Transporters range of approximately 50,000km which allows for beaming to a planets surface from orbit
Transporters cannot be used if shields are up.

I know the rules have been broken a number of times... too many times to count. Transwarp beaming is such utter bollocks really that I never want it to be used again.... just like slingshotting around the sun isn't used. I have heard there are some transporter issues in this movie.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 07:50 PM   #1106
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The use of transporters was extremely silly in the 2009 film. First they couldn't beam because of Nero's death star laser, then they could beam falling Sulu & Kirk aboard (but only because wizkid Chekov was better at handling the joystick than the regular transporter gal), then they could NOT beam falling Amanda, even though she was already dematerializing, then they could beam to a ship moving at warp (using the transporters of a simple shuttle, just by using a new algorithm, no need to change the hardware like the antenna or the power source), then they could beam across the entire solar system on the Narade even though Nero's death star laser was on, and then they could beam fast moving Spock again.

The whole idea that they can't beam you just because you fall... geez. Moving reference frames is the very first thing you need to solve when you beam from a spaceship to spaceship or spaceship to planet anyway. Both spaceships and planets move at thousands of kilometers per minute through space. No problem to account for moving bodies there.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 07:54 PM   #1107
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I can't tell if you're serious or not
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 08:12 PM   #1108
Procutus
Admiral

I've got a question (actually two) for anyone who's already seen the movie and if this has already been covered in here, I apologize in advance, but I don't have the time or inclination to read through all seventy-plus pages of this thread to find out.

My first question is this:

My second question is far less spoiler-oriented: Is there an after-credits scene of any sort?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the answers.
Old May 5 2013, 08:44 PM   #1109
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The use of transporters was extremely silly in the 2009 film. First they couldn't beam because of Nero's death star laser
Yep.

then they could beam falling Sulu & Kirk aboard (but only because wizkid Chekov was better at handling the joystick than the regular transporter gal)
And also because they had ~25,000 feet of uncluttered open air leeway and plenty of time to work with before Kirk and Sulu hit the ground.

then they could NOT beam falling Amanda, even though she was already dematerializing
She wasn't dematerializing, she was just in the "locking on" phase essentially, and when she fell through that it would necessitate locking on to her all over again, which they didn't have time to do since unlike Kirk and Sulu who fell through 25,000 feet of open air, she was falling into a crevasse full of debris and had much less time before impact with the molten ground.

then they could beam to a ship moving at warp (using the transporters of a simple shuttle, just by using a new algorithm, no need to change the hardware like the antenna or the power source)
Isn't that exactly what the Ferengi and the Enterprise-D crew did with the interstellar subspace transporter doohickey in "Bloodlines"? They made a few modifications but used their normal equipment to do it.

then they could beam across the entire solar system on the Narade even though Nero's death star laser was on
Didn't they beam aboard before the drilling laser was turned on? I'm not clear on this one.

and then they could beam fast moving Spock again.
And again, I think that wasn't about the speed he was moving at rather than the time they had to lock on. Obviously the speed would reduce the amount of time available, but I don't think (low sublight) speed alone makes it more difficult to lock on. It's also about interference from other nearby materials, how steady their path is, and so forth. Also, being inside another ship might help the process, as its internal scanners might make focusing in on your target more easy.

All that being said, though, how many times did they find arbitrary reasons for the transporter not to work on the shows and films so they were conveniently trapped or needed to taking a guaranteed to crash shuttle down to the surface instead? It all works or doesn't work at the whim of the plot. It just seems odd to take Trek09 to task more than everything else.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 09:01 PM   #1110
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

The only reason they had trouble beaming both Kirk & Sulu in freefall as well as Amanda was because the newly formed black hole was playing havoc with the targeting sensors. With Kirk & Sulu, Chekov had enough time to teleport them because he had a window of 25k feet (somewhere in that neighborhood), and he ONLY managed to teleport them RIGHT before they hit the ground. Amanda wasn't as lucky, as she was much closer to peril when the ground gave out beneath her.

That's why it was so much easier for them to beam Spock out of the Jellyfish before he hit the Narada, because they didn't have to contend with anything that would impede their sensors. Also, the drill hadn't been turned on by the time Kirk and Spock beamed onto the Narada.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote