Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 5 2013, 07:18 PM   #46
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: Is everything before the destruction of the kelvin exactly the sam

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Anyway, if you prefer the Prime Timeline to be immutable then you can adduce as evidence the fact that Futurespock's ship uses stardates in the Abramscerse format and not the established xxxxx.xx format.
I'm not sure how relevant that is. Is it inconceivable that stardating conventions changed or became open to multiple variants sometime between 2379 and 2387?
Old May 5 2013, 07:21 PM   #47
throwback
Captain

Sisko goes into the past, takes the place of Bell, returns to the future, and it's his face, not Bell's, that one sees when reading this man's biography. Yet, the future he returns to is the one we know. Changes in timeline don't have to be major; they can be as small as a change in image.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 07:25 PM   #48
throwback
Captain

On the question of stardates in 2387, the comics muddled the water, so to speak. We have both systems in place.

We know that stardates were in use in the 2240s, according to the original series. (And, if we take 1277.1 to be Kirk's birth stardate, and not the date he became captain, then this pushes the date of use for stardates to the 2230s.)
Old May 5 2013, 07:36 PM   #49
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

throwback wrote: View Post
Sisko goes into the past, takes the place of Bell, returns to the future, and it's his face, not Bell's, that one sees when reading this man's biography. Yet, the future he returns to is the one we know. Changes in timeline don't have to be major; they can be as small as a change in image.
And it could also be argued that Sisko was always Bell.

We did see a 'real' Bell back in 2024, but that was it. In the 24th century, nobody checked Bell's records and saw that version. The only time anyone did that, it was after all the time travelling was over, somebody checked the image of Bell and saw Sisko. So how do we know that Sisko wasn't always supposed to be Bell? Another predestination paradox.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 07:58 PM   #50
throwback
Captain

We don't know what images there were preserved of Bell. I could estimate based on how our society is now, and say that there was at least one photo of Bell. It is stated that at the end of the episode that Sisko might have to explain to Starfleet how a picture of him from the 21st century existed, and how it became attached to the historical record surrounding Gabriel Bell.
Old May 5 2013, 08:00 PM   #51
Third Nacelle
Captain

I'd say that any time travel that doesn't result in MAJOR changes to the timeline is of the predestination variety. Small changes propagate big changes. A butterfly can cause a hurricane. Data's head is buried beneath San Francisco right now, and always has been, because Time's Arrow happened before itself. Same with Sisko as Bell.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 08:14 PM   #52
throwback
Captain

I have attempted to produce proof. The proof has been rejected. Does anyone else have proof that they like to share?
Old May 5 2013, 09:41 PM   #53
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
I'd say that any time travel that doesn't result in MAJOR changes to the timeline is of the predestination variety. Small changes propagate big changes. A butterfly can cause a hurricane. Data's head is buried beneath San Francisco right now, and always has been, because Time's Arrow happened before itself. Same with Sisko as Bell.
Old Spock rescuing Data's head in the alternate reality would be a cool story.

DATA'S SEVERED HEAD: "The events of this era do not match the descriptions in my historical files."

OLD SPOCK: "Yeah... my bad."
Old May 5 2013, 10:05 PM   #54
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Data's head is buried beneath San Francisco right now, and always has been, because Time's Arrow happened before itself. Same with Sisko as Bell.
That's the beauty of it. When nuData travels to meet Mark Twain, he'll leave a second head in the cave, leaving himself with heads to choose from in the future, and two memories to switch between. I am a bit confused as to how the two Bells would play out.
Old May 6 2013, 05:04 PM   #55
TOSTNGDS9VOYENT
Lieutenant Commander

Or maybe that mission never happens and as soon as the Narada exits the black hole Data's head disappears from the cave. Maybe Sisko never goes back either, in which case that history would play out differently and very well could effect the timeline before Nero. Nero exits black hole which in turn changes both Data and Siskos destinys, which means what they did in the past never happens, which means that the past is changed too, which means that the Kelvin that gets toasted in 2233 is already an alternate Kelvin. Don't you just love paradoxes?
Old May 6 2013, 06:05 PM   #56
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

TOSTNGDS9VOYENT wrote: View Post
Or maybe that mission never happens and as soon as the Narada exits the black hole Data's head disappears from the cave. Maybe Sisko never goes back either, in which case that history would play out differently and very well could effect the timeline before Nero. Nero exits black hole which in turn changes both Data and Siskos destinys, which means what they did in the past never happens, which means that the past is changed too, which means that the Kelvin that gets toasted in 2233 is already an alternate Kelvin. Don't you just love paradoxes?
But wouldn't the Abramsverse be considered to have happened after all those events transpired?
Old May 6 2013, 06:25 PM   #57
Third Nacelle
Captain

Star Trek writers should have gotten together a long, long time ago and hammered out a manual on exactly how time travel works and what the effects are.

It all gives me a headache.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:30 PM   #58
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Wouldn't matter. Any time travel story, examined closely enough, falls apart in terms of story satisfaction.

The only way to dodge the issue is for a time traveler to remain wherever (or whenever) he ends up and for the viewer to never see the era left behind again.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:30 PM   #59
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Star Trek writers should have gotten together a long, long time ago and hammered out a manual on exactly how time travel works and what the effects are. It all gives me a headache.
And miss all the opportunities to torment Janeway? No, thanks.
Old May 6 2013, 06:54 PM   #60
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

(shrugs) I'm perfectly happy with the theory that time travel into the past always involves jumping to an alternate timeline, but in most cases the timeline is so similar to the one you left as to be essentially the same.

"Parallels" even establishes how you can determine whether you're in the timeline you started out in and one way you could return.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote